Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
wyrmofvt

0.77.19 - The Stairs that WOULD NOT DIE!!

16 posts in this topic

Hotfix #19

Suggested Name: Stairs not breaking with proper tool

Suggested Category: Annoying

Description: Wooden stairs and slabs made from chiseling placed plank blocks do not get destroyed by axes, but funnily enough break instantly with pickaxes.

Config?: Yes. Not a config problem anyway.

Incidentally, we should get drops when breaking stairs or slabs. (3 planks/pebbles for full stairs, 0-3 for slabs, depending on how much was widdled away.)

All chiseled blocks, be if they were originally made from stone or wood, are generated from the same chunk of code and therefore use the same tool to break. Technically, chiseling wood was supposed to be removed when placing plank items was added, but Bioxx decided to be nice and leave it in. Since chiseling was supposed to be for only stone, the pickaxe is set as the default tool. If you want stairs or slabs made from wood that can be broken with an axe and return the planks upon breaking, build them with plank items instead of chiseling down a hunk of wood.

So, wait. Instead of having the breaking tool bound to the material the block is made from, you guys had it bound to the creation method? How does that make sense? Also, the vanilla mechanic for destroying stairs worked fine (and can be adjusted to dropping the appropriate debris), and quite frankly more believable than a stair that disappears with the touch of a pick. Why did the chisel mechanic not work by simply swapping a whole block with a matching stair block?

As to the TFC plank placement mechanic, it can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. It's way too fiddly. Working with the RedPower microblocks was bad enough; the strip (which is equivalent to your planks) made me want to punch Eloraam in the mouth.

I imagine that in the past this was a short-cut to reduce the sheer amount of unique blocks each linked to an ID value. All the non-vanilla wood and rock/stone/etc block types would need equivalent versions of stair and slab block IDs. So a function was introduced to make stairs and slabs with the chisel and hammer just like making custom micro-blocks. Now, new recipes are added, as Kitty mentioned, for wood stairs and slabs that can be broken with an axe. Perhaps in the future, stairs and slabs of stone blocks or even micro-blocks can be retrieved when broken with a pickaxe, but not at the moment. Please correct me if i'm wrong because i'd like to know more as well.

So, wait. Instead of having the breaking tool bound to the material the block is made from, you guys had it bound to the creation method? How does that make sense? Also, the vanilla mechanic for destroying stairs worked fine (and can be adjusted to dropping the appropriate debris), and quite frankly more believable than a stair that disappears with the touch of a pick. Why did the chisel mechanic not work by simply swapping a whole block with a matching stair block?

As to the TFC plank placement mechanic, it can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. It's way too fiddly. Working with the RedPower microblocks was bad enough; the strip (which is equivalent to your planks) made me want to punch Eloraam in the mouth.

The stairs only LOOK like wood. Since it's the same block and TE for the stone/wood chiseled blocks (due to packet sending and a bunch of code that's looking for specific information at coordinates). Basically, when you chisel a wood plank block, it converts it into a piece of stone with a wood texture.

I think that in the future, whenever you guys get the time to adjust features, you should make the saw be used instead of the chisel for creating wooden stairs, slabs , etc. In the mean time, I think they have more important features to work on, this isn't that very vital.

I think that in the future, whenever you guys get the time to adjust features, you should make the saw be used instead of the chisel for creating wooden stairs, slabs , etc. In the mean time, I think they have more important features to work on, this isn't that very vital.

I'm worried that this is a symptom of a more serious problem. This error shouldn't happen. I don't mean, "this bug should be fixed," but, "I don't understand how did this bug come to exist in the first place." It's fine to have the same code handle stone and wood stairs because they are created by the same tool (the chisel — which makes as much sense on wood as it does for stone), but it should have occurred to Bioxx that the two should have very different behaviors when attacked with an axe, and planned accordingly. I would much rather have wood blocks unable to be carved than magically transmute into stone blocks that still look like wooden blocks. Heck, I'd even take them transmuting into stone blocks if they look like stone blocks. At least I would know what tool to use to remove them.

But that's not why think this error shouldn't happen. Bioxx didn't just implement an alternative stair creation method that just happened to be bugged to hell, he removed the vanilla stairs before their replacement was ready for prime time. That's backwards.

In writing the above, it's just occurred to me that we may be alpha testers and not beta testers. The bugs we're encountering are way too wonky for a beta build.

Let's put it this way. Chiseled wood blocks were an afterthought that were intended to be removed when the placing of plank items was implemented. Bioxx didn't realize until a few months ago that he forgot to remove them, and decided it wasn't worth it to remove them now. Be happy they still exist, as they will never be fixed, and any changes to them would only be removal.

If you want stairs or slabs made from wood that can be broken with an axe and return the planks upon breaking, build them with plank items instead of chiseling down a hunk of wood.

?? I never checked this until now. How do I make stairs and slabs of wood on the workbench? It doesn't give me anything for either planks or logs using vanilla recipes. 

?? I never checked this until now. How do I make stairs and slabs of wood on the workbench? It doesn't give me anything for either planks or logs using vanilla recipes. 

You don't craft the stair block, you place each plank item individually in the stair pattern.

Posted Image

Aw shoot, talking about time-consuming! Thanks Bioxx for leaving the chiseling of wood in the game... >_>

time and memory-consuming.  Large amounts of planks seem to give my computer hiccups, and it's not an old or underpowered machine.

Well you could always use a 4x4 plank step (side view):

AAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAA

AAAAPPPP

AAAAPPPP

AAAAPPPP

AAAAPPPP

A - Air, P - Plank

When you have stairs they would look like:

AAAAA

AAASG

AASGG

ASGGG

GGGGG

A - Air, S - Step, G - Ground/Plank block

Chiseling is great because you can make blueprints and copy the design to a new block quickly. This is lacking with wood by placing individual planks. Chiseling in the form of "carving" wood should be implemented at the very least so that blueprints can be made. Or we just accept that we have to use pick on breaking chiseled wood blocks.But... I still prefer to bring back the vanilla recipes of stairs and slabs...

wish we could make slightly larger plank chunks that took up more than just 1 sliver of space.