Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
___Frank

The Birth of a Tool by John Neeman

9 posts in this topic

Beautiful!

I am impressed by these series of videos, but even to this day, I do wonder how one fashions a stone flint axe with only the environment as their set of tools to procure such a woodcutting tool.

sda, one didnt really use stone in the same sense as cobblestone, they used flint. flint can carry an edge to such extent that you can make axes or spearpoints out of it, via knapping (or in case of an axe, bifacially knapping) it. All you do then is create a stick heavy enough to supprot the head, tie them together, and voilah

(these tools didnt last long you know, only enough for a few trees, and the knapping process is a LOT more extensive than one would think from TFC, here its just 2 rocks, wheras they used parts of animal to increase the control they had over a piece of flint, like punches or antlers to hold the rock in place. (flint knapping alone could easily take 10 seperate tools to improve, the first axe was probably just a very sharp piece of rock one banged against a thin tree for whatever reason, to see it fall over)

sda, one didnt really use stone in the same sense as cobblestone, they used flint. flint can carry an edge to such extent that you can make axes or spearpoints out of it, via knapping (or in case of an axe, bifacially knapping) it. All you do then is create a stick heavy enough to supprot the head, tie them together, and voilah

(these tools didnt last long you know, only enough for a few trees, and the knapping process is a LOT more extensive than one would think from TFC, here its just 2 rocks, wheras they used parts of animal to increase the control they had over a piece of flint, like punches or antlers to hold the rock in place. (flint knapping alone could easily take 10 seperate tools to improve, the first axe was probably just a very sharp piece of rock one banged against a thin tree for whatever reason, to see it fall over)

Besides the flint part (I have forgotten about that one) I am pretty much aware of these things. I was simply expressing how impressed I am by how, despite their very limited use, flint tools were created by our ancestors, whose minds, though they haven't reached the level we have today, were very advanced for their time.

IMO our ancestors were more advanced, they created new things from mere coincidences all the time, whereas it takes great effort to create something truly new nowadays :)

IMO our ancestors were more advanced, they created new things from mere coincidences all the time, whereas it takes great effort to create something truly new nowadays :)

To be fair, we're talking about innovations that occurred over thousands of years, and which were probably made by what were likely the best and brightest of our species. Da vinci and thomas edison are probably good examples of modern(ish) people who have made comparable ground-breaking discoveries/advancements on their own.

s/thomas edison/Nikola Tesla/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0