Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shukrat

Agriculture and Livestock

24 posts in this topic

As the title states, this will be dedicated to suggestions for agriculture and livestock. I'm very eager to see what Bioxx is doing for agriculture.

What would be great is different animals for each of the different biomes. For example, on the plains you would end up having small mammals such as prairie dogs, squirrels, and birds that nest in the ground. For the same area the larger animals would consist of horses, bison, cows, and the like. Forests could have deer and wolves.

Each of these animals would have different uses, such as horses tamed for riding, or just bison used for meat and leather.

I know it was suggested in another thread that instead of animals simply fading out once they die, that you could get their corpse instead. This would be great, especially in conjunction with the knife suggestion from another thread. the knife would be used to skin the animal to get leather and meat. You could gather bones for bone meal, and maybe skulls for 'decoration?' Just some thoughts...

I will definitely update this post with any other suggestions given, and certainly once Bioxx releases his updates.

Other suggestions are welcome!

i was liking the idea of having biome specific flora, as in plains, you get prairie grass, which then could be used as a thatch block for a first makeshift shelter, or for starting a firepit. i think it would be cool to be able to make a thatch house if you spawn in a plains biome,

I think that in vanilla MC that animals do spawn differently depending on the biome so it makes total sense to continue that. Something I would like to see is some pack mentality such as animals grouping and possibly stampeding if one is attacked rather than one going ballistic while the others continue grazing peacefully.

If that works it might be transferable to pack hunting where one wolf howls to start the attack and nearby wolves join in.The attack behaviour could be simulated by suddenly increasing the range at which the attacking animals can detect pray.

I think that in vanilla MC that animals do spawn differently depending on the biome so it makes total sense to continue that. Something I would like to see is some pack mentality such as animals grouping and possibly stampeding if one is attacked rather than one going ballistic while the others continue grazing peacefully.

If that works it might be transferable to pack hunting where one wolf howls to start the attack and nearby wolves join in.The attack behaviour could be simulated by suddenly increasing the range at which the attacking animals can detect pray.

well the simply horses mod uses the pack mentality AI with the stallion beating your ass if you try to fuck with his herd. also zombie pigmen do it, so i think it would be possible and even more fun to do.

i could see it now being killed by a heard of cows for attacking one. maybe make there eyes go red. i can also see it on a server XD

vgcatsfan was a victom of a stampide.

vgcatsfan slipped while grabing the bull by the horns.

a cow sat on vgcatsfan.

or for a death by chicken.

the spy chicken assassinated vgcatsfan

(insert ledgon of zelda death by cuccos here)

"As he parted the leaves while traversing the jungle a huge bird launched at his face, pecking, leaving him in bloody shambles." ;)

That could be entertaining. Though frustrating. In the wild it makes sense. Perhaps domestication of certain animals is possible while others not.

While we're at it, here's a list of Mobs that I think should be added;

Please note: Most of these come from the Mo' Creatures mod but I feel they can be redone to fit the needs of TFCraft better.

Mob: Goats

Drops: Skin

Use: Milk

Mob: Crocodiles

Use: Armor

Mob: Deer

Drops: Meat, Skin

Use: Meat

Mob: Wolf

Use: Predator

Mob: Bear

Mob: Boar

Drops: Meat, Skin

Use: Meat, Predator

Mob: Birds

Drops: Feathers

Use:

Mob: Rabbits

Drops: Skin, Meat

Use:

Mob: Foxes

Use:

Mob: Horses

Use: Mount

Mob: Camel

Use: Mount

Mob: Jaguar

Drops:

Mob: Bandit (Human) (Replace Zombie)

Drops: Bones

Mob: Bandit Archer (Human) (Replace Skeleton)

Drops: Bones

Use:

Also, I like the idea of Human enemies instead of the current vanilla mobs. I feel most of them can be retextured and their behaviours modified to again fit TFCraft better.

Good selection of mobs but I feel that the fox is a bit redundant as there are many mobs with skins and there is already a wolf. Also agree with removing skeletons and zombies but having bandits without any other friendly humans would be a little odd. I saw on IRC that someone was working on goblins, I don't know if this is for TFC but I like the idea as goblins are imagined as being more intelligent that zombies and skeletons which could allow for tougher AI.

Good selection of mobs but I feel that the fox is a bit redundant as there are many mobs with skins and there is already a wolf. Also agree with removing skeletons and zombies but having bandits without any other friendly humans would be a little odd. I saw on IRC that someone was working on goblins, I don't know if this is for TFC but I like the idea as goblins are imagined as being more intelligent that zombies and skeletons which could allow for tougher AI.

I'm just trying to avoid Fantasy creatures, but if everyone agrees on it then I can't say much.

I'm just trying to avoid Fantasy creatures, but if everyone agrees on it then I can't say much.

To be honest the game could be fine without them both I would just prefer not to have bandits that's all. Without other humanoids it would be more of a survival situation which I would enjoy more.

To be honest the game could be fine without them both I would just prefer not to have bandits that's all. Without other humanoids it would be more of a survival situation which I would enjoy more.

Yeah definitely. I guess Villagers could be remade into Humans as well, and some more neutral Human mobs like "Wildmen" could be added to the wilderness.

Yeah definitely. I guess Villagers could be remade into Humans as well, and some more neutral Human mobs like "Wildmen" could be added to the wilderness.

think about it this way, the ONLY other humanoid life besides you are in little packs of villages. did nobody so, "you know what, fuck it. i dont wanna be a testificate anymore, and run from the zombies, im gonna go live off in the woods alone." it would be kinda cool to venture from your starting point, only to meet somebody who is doing the same thing as you, surviving on the land, maybe he is friendly and talk/trades with you, maybe he isnt and will kill you on sight, kinda a cool idea, but it does add a human aspect tat im not sure is really right for this game

So maybe, for that situation, the code for the village generation makes camps instead of villages?

Lots of good ideas here I do not even know where to throw in my two cents. Overall I would say to not stifle the ideas because something else already fills that gap... We have 15 different types of trees so why not 15 creatures we can hunt for their skins? Horses and Oxen for farm work, wolves and cats for pets, all seem like good ideas to me. How about trained birds for hunting? I always wanted a falcon..

I have to say what I like the most though is the thatch housing idea. Cause right now if you spawn in a plains in a new world your first job is to run like hell, maybe punching a cow/pig/chicken or three, and find a source of trees. It would be nice if that was Not the first thing you had to do if trees are not around. Giving players a greater range of options seems like a good core idea to build upon. again.. 15 types of trees, all with fairly similar properties (now I know burn temp and length varies between them but that is a fairly small variance overall)

What I would like to see is having better herds of the animals, basing off of what Simply Horses has with stallions defending the herd, we could have for example:

-A male variant of cows being bulls that defend the herd.

-Roosters for the hens

-Idk what for pigs they're kinda all the same right? unless you implement boars but that wouldn't be right for pigs would it?

-as for sheep ehhhh.. idk either.

I kinda agree with Crysyn (by the way awesome guide you have going there I've enjoyed every episode so far :)) there should be more animals that have different tasks, maybe when you get some cows or horses to pull some sort of agricultural wagon as they had in the old days plowing bigger patches of farmland for more production of whatever more crops you would implement.

With some more birds the crops might need some scarecrows or other means of getting those darn crows off my dang plots!! Hunting birds seem nice too as Crys said or hunting dogs/wolves/tamed creepers (kidding on the creeper heheh) that would aid in getting some meat (Cause I do love me some bacon in my firecamp).

Maybe in a further away future when you get more things implemented have some early industrial machinery to work around, as in a tractor for crops, early weaponry like the first pistols and rifles maybe for hunting down wild deers and whatnot.

I was thinking for making bread it's not straight from a table and some wheat you get a loaf on the spot. maybe grind down the wheat into flour with a windmill or something, then make your dough (I think it's called that right?) and put it into a firecamp/whatever and wait for it to bake.

Also for livestock the likes of chickens they may need some corn to be fed or some sort of food unless grass is just fine for them.

The last few are just random ideas popping in. I'd be glad to hear your opinion on these.

well if we go with diffrent crops we could put it to where we need to swich out what crop we grow where because of nutrishion for the crops has changed in the ground.

well if we go with diffrent crops we could put it to where we need to swich out what crop we grow where because of nutrishion for the crops has changed in the ground.

hmm interesting, i never thought about the idea of crop rotation, that could be a VERY interesting addition to the agriculture in TFC

hmm interesting, i never thought about the idea of crop rotation, that could be a VERY interesting addition to the agriculture in TFC

Back in the old wiki [link], there was a suggestion section.

It talked about a system that tracked several things, i think it was four basic nutrients, like phosphorus, nitrogen, calcium, and how certain crops can drain the soul of some nutrients but increase other nutrients.

I forgot the exact specifications but there is a topic [link] in this forums about composting, and compost. [Which also speculates about an added element of accelerated growth, and a reference or two to terra preta]

And the last thing was a reference [i think by me] in yet another thread [link] about adding another prerequisite 'age' before stone, but talked about incentivizing cultivating a small farm [for leather, and food] before going off and mining for metallurgy]. [And i think a tangent about what a sphepard's crook's functionality]

I'd like to see cattle/oxen/horses usable for use with redstone, so rather than redstone being powered by switches, it's powered by literal horsepower and redstone just carries the current. So you tame a horse, then craft a... not sure what they're called, mill? Glorified hamster wheel? And when you right click the horse with the mill, it saddles it to the contraption. You can then whip the horse into motion to do whatever machine process you need done: Automated bellows, grinding flour, maybe the saddle could work like a sticky piston, so when the horse moves it drags a block/tool. Maybe even a wheeled chest as a wagon? The sky's the limit in theory.

The animal would have to be fed (or "fuelled") wheat/fodder or it won't work.

Of course it relies on a non-block entity manipulating blocks...so I'm assuming that's a lot of coding to work.

I would love to see something like a random drop of bird nests wich hold rare seeds and maybe gems/nuggets (maybe a little bit like the runescape birdnests(damn long time ago ^^))

But I would SOOO like the crops rotation and that you need a certain soil to grow certain plants on.

I like the sound of that, also as there are different types of dirt perhaps the different types could be made to be more or less suitable depending on there types.

This could lead into the addition of prospecting potential farming plots. Not with the propick by the way but maybe some acidity tests ect.

That's a good idea. I actually didn't think about that. I think though before getting the crop rotation code in he/they should make seasons for the game. Maybe change the tint color of the sun during the day to reflect the season. winter - slightly blue/cyan, spring - bluegreen/cyan-green, summer - more orange, and autumn could be a slightly more yellow yellow-green. Something like that. A way to determine what season it is. I don't think actually changing the leaves colors would be important, but it wouldn't affect biomes. I'm pretty sure it's still snowy in the rocky mountains in the summer.

Some big Animals from stone age like mammoths,Sabertooth cats and so on.And no mosnters cause they aren't realistic ;) .But add more dangerous animals from stoneage.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0