Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vagabond

[Request] Modification of TFC's "Treecapitator"

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

Basically, I can't mod. No idea how, and the few free online courses completely stumped me. I know most modders prefer to work on mods that are their own ideas/wants/desires, because they are invested in the outcome of the project. They want to see the change, and they have the ability to make it. I'm in no way expecting this request to go answered, and I don't fault anyone in the least if it doesn't. I'm not even sure if it can be done without distributing/editing base TFC files. However, here it goes:

I'd love to have an add-on that produces saplings and sticks when you chop a tree down. It's probably the one thing that annoys me the most. I know I've seen arguments against this, one being that you'd end up with a ton of sticks and saplings, but I an not concerned with that, as I could just toss whatever I don't want into the ocean or something.

Like I said, I don't expect anyone to jump on this and do it. If it shows up in the add-on section, great, I really appreciate it. If it doesn't, then oh well, and thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Michael

Adding this up would make scythes obsolete. So I believe both Dunk and Bioxx don't want this implemented for simple reason of making things too easy.

I agree with euphoric if it was removed it would make scythes near useless.

Hello,

Apologies for putting it in the wrong section of the forum, for starters. When I read the rules of the addon section, it said that work in progress mods should be placed in the discussion forum, and the suggestion forum seemed like a place to request official changes to TFC, not mod mod/addon requests.

In regards to Euphoric's and screeopia's comments, I understand that it wouldn't have a place in base TFC, which is why I requested it as an addon/mod of TFC instead of a suggestion for "base" TFC.

I wouldn't want scythes to be made completely useless in my game either, which is why if this request perked the interest of any modder, I would request that the ammount of sticks/saplings you got when chopping a tree down be less then harvesting them with scythes.

As a mod/addon for TFC, it wouldn't be required to be used by anyone. To quote the "Rules for Posting" in the addons section:

'Wheaton's Law'
Please maintain respect towards all modders no matter the content. You are free to disagree or point out flaws, but do not take it too far.
(I shouldn't even have to mention this one. Seriously guys, if you disagree with something, say you disagree, just don't attack people. Who the fuck cares that its an 'OP' mod. You don't have to download it. - Ed.)

Cheers,
Michael

I agree with euphoric if it was removed it would make scythes near useless.

aren't scythes historically meant for crops and not tree branches?

I hadn't even thought of that. What a brilliant (rhetorical, I imagine) question!

Cheers,

Michael

a compromise on this could be something along this lines:

When you chop down a tree 80% of current log drops like normal, together with a few "branches" items, 4 to 8 for each tree.

You can then work branches with a scythe (I assume the devs use the scythe as an all purpose replacement for a billhook ) or an axe (with double tool consumption) to get some sticks and the remaining 20% of the logs.

if you need saplings you can work the branches with a knife instead, getting some sticks and saplings but losing the logs.

The branch item should be placeable just like the logs, it would make the experience for the lumberjack among us quite a bit more immersive :D

If you break a crop block with a scythe it will also break surrounding crop blocks. Same for tall grass, which will drop straw like a knife, so yes, scythes can be used for crops on TFC.

I use scythes mostly FOR gathering straw or on occasion crops when Im in a hurry. (I do use them on trees also but at some point i need far less wood so my treefarm just sits there looking like a forrest for long periods of time.

I agree with Vagabond that trees should drop their other resources when chopped down as this is far more believable than half the tree just vapourising on the spot. If you want to control inventory..dont make the tree drop 20 million sticks and saplings...have it drop like 2 or 3 saplings for the whole tree, and a few 'branches' that can initially be crafting gridded (snaped/broken) to get sticks.

If your worried about 'make things easier' require people to 'process' say a 'branch' object - depending on how its snapped off it could be a sapling or a couple sticks. (2 branchies on top of each other is sticks, one on its own is sapling)

Once you have some sticks you can make knives to trim/prune branches to get more sticks.

Pick any tree you like outside and go look at how it is formed. Then consider..just how many of its pieces would actually be considered a 'stick' the way we use them in minecraft (tool/weapon handles, making fences etc)

It makes more sense (more 'believable/real' for the main stick acquisition to be from chopping trees down and pruning the 'good' branches than for swinging a scythe designed for harvesting certain crops at a tree blindingly hoping to cut it just right.

To extend the discussion slightly its also more believable to use either cut logs or early on 'branches' to make fences and ladders than 'twigs' too.

Maybe if you chop down tree with scythe equipped, scythe also gets damaged and saplings and sticks will drop.

Hello,

_

Maybe if you chop down tree with scythe equipped, scythe also gets damaged and saplings and sticks will drop.

_

Kind of like you need a hammer in a work-slot when you use a chisel? So It causes durability loss on both items. That is a good Compromise; I still think you should get 25%/50% as much when just chopping down a tree with an axe. Having an axe and scythe (though I don't know what the obsession and loyalty to the scythe stems from (Grimm Reaper complex?), especially when using it outside of it's intended purpose) equipped would net you the normal amount as if you had scythed the tree leaves then chopped the tree.

On branches: Can be placed like planks in the world, but are a 4x4 square with a less refined (still has bark) texture than planks. Maybe instead of getting "sticks" we could get branches from trees, and have to work those to get 1-3 "tool handles"(instead of sticks...Sorry it just gives me a complex, because the word "stick" doesn't come to mind as big enough to make a handle out of-I know it's knit-picking, I apologise.).

Cheers,

Michael

My reply evolved into something that should be in a thread of its own so it is now here

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0