Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
oldmanmike

[77.21] Not sure if it's a bug: scarce animals/passive mobs

7 posts in this topic

Started playing with 77.21 and noticed that there were VERY few animals around to hunt or breed. Most of the time, the world is just deserted, but I'll occasionally run across a pig, wolf, and sometimes a rooster. I have not seen a single sheep and I've only seen the occasional cow in creative. Is this intentional? I remember being able to always get my first meal from hunting in the area that I spawned in. Now, that's never the case. I'm using no additional mods and my config files are freshly generated.

Yes, this is intentional and is listed in the change-log for 77.8. Mobs now spawn based on the climate of the chunk upon generation. Sheep spawn in more mountainous areas, cows in the plains, and chickens in the jungles. Note that these are not biome requirements, so pressing F3 to see what kind of area you are in won't do much help unless you learn to interpret the temperature and rainfall into climates.

It is cool there are less animals but what are people doing for early game food?

I did not find one single animal without cheating i would have starved to death in the stone age.

If you live near water, its very likely that there are squid spawning, which drop calamari for you to eat. Otherwise there are wild crops pretty much everywhere if you just look around enough.

There is all sorts of food out there, search around a little and you will find crops growing in the wild. harvest them and eat, not forgetting to plant some in your field for later consumption.

Whilst searching for crops you can also check surface rocks for nuggets so you can locate your most likely mine site. Startup is  the most interesting part of the game.

Food? Kill a spider, make a fishing rod. Alternatively, scour for fruit trees and crop seeds, get a flat spot, and start farming things. Soybeans, Greenbeans, and Tomatoes are all really good choices.

I think that the animals have been made a little too rare, especially chickens. This has created a false difficulty curve which is pretty detrimental to the experience since they are the sole source of an item required to progress past bronze.

I created a world and went into creative as part of an experiment. Going to near the equator, I found a rather large jungle, weighing in at about 4 square kilometers. Passing over the whole thing via the handiness that is Rei's, I searched it thoroughly. There was a grand total of 4 chickens in the entire thing.