Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Dreams and Farewells

16 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER:I am not trying to force change or offend anyone here, so please don't take it that way.

Alright, so I've been following TerraFirmaCraft for a little over a year now, watching it grow and develop,and become the mod it is today

But i feel that this mod has turned away from what we first set out to do, I don't really know why, but it just doesn't have the same feeling as it did last year, and it really makes me sad.

So, I've decided that I am going to pretty much stop following development of TFC, and this also means that i will probably be leaving the forums indefinitely, maybe to pop up here and there to check the off topic section or something like that, but for the most part, I'm leaving.

So, farewell everyone, I had a good run here.

Until next we meet,

Srgnoodles

But i feel that this mod has turned away from what we first set out to do, I don't really know why, but it just doesn't have the same feeling as it did last year, and it really makes me sad.

--

I don't know if you will end up reading this, but I guess for the audience that reads this if not yourself :: I think I know what you mean. And even if I don't, I still agree with and understand your sentiment. For a while now... not just with B77 changes but somewhat prior as well, I have also found myself in a state of wanting to like this mod more than I actually do like the experience of playing it.

For myself, I thought a survival mod would lean more towards duking it out with the elements and finding the tough road to success and advancement. Instead, we have a more complex and interesting advancement but with no sense of balance nor motivation. On every world now, either you have everything you need or you are missing key components and will find yourself forever stuck at some stage or other.

And the advancement? - it offers no real reward anyway, almost at any stage. There is no reason to advance... because there is no greater challenge to tackle next, and advancement merely removes a few minor inconveniences. You get to the first level of metallic technology and that's all you ever really need, having right then the means to make every fancy building or interesting statue you could ever want. There are no greater monsters nor complex challenges nor new lands that await you that you don't encounter on your very earliest nights in a new world.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is that of all the awesome ideas that were discussed in the forums over the past year to make this a challenging and adventurous survival mod, the only changes at all that have happened were some small tweaks to the way you do things, not what you can do with things. The challenge and adventure have both been... more or less removed entirely. And that... at least for me, is quite a big disappointment.All that said, this is still my favourite mod and the only way I will play minecraft, and I have nothing but respect for the entire development team. But I really hope the spirit of the mod (or what I thought was the spirit - survivalism) makes its way back into the mod.

However in the mean time... I know I have not said a lot these past months, but I will definitely miss our exchanges, dear Sugar Noodles. I bid you adieu.

For myself, I thought a survival mod would lean more towards duking it out with the elements and finding the tough road to success and advancement. Instead, we have a more complex and interesting advancement but with no sense of balance nor motivation. On every world now, either you have everything you need or you are missing key components and will find yourself forever stuck at some stage or other.

All that said, this is still my favourite mod and the only way I will play minecraft, and I have nothing but respect for the entire development team. But I really hope the spirit of the mod (or what I thought was the spirit - survivalism) makes its way back into the mod.

I stopped playing TFC for the same reasons but I keep dropping by to see what future builds will bring.  I hope work will continue on body temperature, hostile wild animals, (see also Dunk's post here), and all the other features that I saw to be core to the survival mod's offering.  I'm not playing now but I'm keeping my eye out for new features.

I stopped playing TFC for the same reasons but I keep dropping by to see what future builds will bring.  I hope work will continue on body temperature, hostile wild animals, (see also Dunk's post here), and all the other features that I saw to be core to the survival mod's offering.  I'm not playing now but I'm keeping my eye out for new features.

--

Yeah I'm not really *playing* per se either at this point... but I do load and test a lot of worlds because I like to help out in some small way with bug-finding and play testing and I am also slowly making a 128x texture pack for it (which I will be doing a video for soon to show the progress).

DISCLAIMER:I am not trying to force change or offend anyone here, so please don't take it that way.

Alright, so I've been following TerraFirmaCraft for a little over a year now, watching it grow and develop,and become the mod it is today

So, I've decided that I am going to pretty much stop following development of TFC, and this also means that i will probably be leaving the forums indefinitely, maybe to pop up here and there to check the off topic section or something like that, but for the most part, I'm leaving.

Until next we meet,

Srgnoodles

Farewell, to you, Miss Srgnoodles; it has been an honour running through with the forums, over past year, with you. I do hope we will cross paths, once again.

Though I have only arrived here a little after the start of the TFC beta, and this forum's inception, after reading your reason as to why you chose to leave, I agree with you. Despite never playing the alpha, I think I understand what you mean by why TFC did not have the same feeling as it once had. The best way I could think of to explain that feeling is that what puxapuax had mentioned earlier; Terra Firma Craft just seemed to have left the path its developers had intended to follow, to summarize it in simple, yet very understandable words.

I also agree with you, puxapuax. There isn't really any real challenge to the middle and late games of TFC. Once you have gotten past the monsters and the stone age, that's pretty much it; no reason to advance. I think that the main reason why has to do with that is the lack of depth. Before you go ahead and flame me (assuming that you actually get angry at the previous line of text in the first place), I don't really know if I am providing the correct answer, but I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

Though much of the mod is still in development, in my opinion, TFC is one of the best modifications for Minecraft out there, and I respect the developers for that. However, what let's it down, as I have realized from my perspective, might be the lack of depth in its mechanics. For instance, moving up from the stone age to the metallurgy age sounds like a tough challenge. In most cases, it is, but once you find a surface vein of copper, surrounding trees, and plenty of workable stone, you're all set for the metallurgy age. The only challenge is searching for them, and though you might as well have to travel far and wide just to get to that copper vein, that's pretty much it, as far as I know.

Once you're out of the stone age, like puxuapax said; you are free to really build and do whatever you please with the metal tools. There isn't really any reason to advance beyond copper, other than getting stronger, longer-lasting tools and armor, I think you're pretty much set for whatever you plan to do. There isn't a worth-while reward, or a challenge, once you advance to the metallurgy age and up through the rest of the metal ages. I think that the developers could add more depth into the game; use the suggestions from the past year and at the present.

Have a dynamic knapping system in place, or add in nutrients that humans require, or even something exciting like a fluid combat system. I know that the last suggestion (and any suggestion that could be or is good over the past that has been struck down) is a no-no, by Bioxx, but the current combat system of Minecraft is only spamming the mouse and aiming at the cursor at the mob. I am aware that there are limitations in what is conceivable in modding Minecraft, but at least try to emulate that with the tools Java has given us. I was actually hoping for better hostile mobiles when I first came here, and over the past year, we haven't really gotten them, at the time of this post.

Overall, I think that TFC is lacking the depth it needs to accentuate with its complexity. I am truly sorry for any offenses I may have caused. I have never intended to cause it, and I only wanted to give some constructive criticism for Terra Firma Craft.

-Sda209.

Farewell, to you, Miss Srgnoodles; it has been an honour running through with the forums, over past year, with you. I do hope we will cross paths, once again.

Though I have only arrived here a little after the start of the TFC beta, and this forum's inception, after reading your reason as to why you chose to leave, I agree with you. Despite never playing the alpha, I think I understand what you mean by why TFC did not have the same feeling as it once had. The best way I could think of to explain that feeling is that what puxapuax had mentioned earlier; Terra Firma Craft just seemed to have left the path its developers had intended to follow, to summarize it in simple, yet very understandable words.

I also agree with you, puxapuax. There isn't really any real challenge to the middle and late games of TFC. Once you have gotten past the monsters and the stone age, that's pretty much it; no reason to advance. I think that the main reason why has to do with that is the lack of depth. Before you go ahead and flame me (assuming that you actually get angry at the previous line of text in the first place), I don't really know if I am providing the correct answer, but I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

Though much of the mod is still in development, in my opinion, TFC is one of the best modifications for Minecraft out there, and I respect the developers for that. However, what let's it down, as I have realized from my perspective, might be the lack of depth in its mechanics. For instance, moving up from the stone age to the metallurgy age sounds like a tough challenge. In most cases, it is, but once you find a surface vein of copper, surrounding trees, and plenty of workable stone, you're all set for the metallurgy age. The only challenge is searching for them, and though you might as well have to travel far and wide just to get to that copper vein, that's pretty much it, as far as I know.

Once you're out of the stone age, like puxuapax said; you are free to really build and do whatever you please with the metal tools. There isn't really any reason to advance beyond copper, other than getting stronger, longer-lasting tools and armor, I think you're pretty much set for whatever you plan to do. There isn't a worth-while reward, or a challenge, once you advance to the metallurgy age and up through the rest of the metal ages. I think that the developers could add more depth into the game; use the suggestions from the past year and at the present.

Have a dynamic knapping system in place, or add in nutrients that humans require, or even something exciting like a fluid combat system. I know that the last suggestion (and any suggestion that could be or is good over the past that has been struck down) is a no-no, by Bioxx, but the current combat system of Minecraft is only spamming the mouse and aiming at the cursor at the mob. I am aware that there are limitations in what is conceivable in modding Minecraft, but at least try to emulate that with the tools Java has given us. I was actually hoping for better hostile mobiles when I first came here, and over the past year, we haven't really gotten them, at the time of this post.

Overall, I think that TFC is lacking the depth it needs to accentuate with its complexity. I am truly sorry for any offenses I may have caused. I have never intended to cause it, and I only wanted to give some constructive criticism for Terra Firma Craft.

-Sda209.

TFC does indeed lack depth when it comes to late game stuff, but the thing that is missing cannot be cured by TFC alone. This is because it is unable to create some vital challenges due to reasonable barriers both intentional and unintentional.

For one thing, TFC in singleplayer is kinda like Vanilla MC in the same mode, you quickly come to lack motivation to continue beyond the Iron Age. Now I've found that Multiplayer (like in VMC) increases that motivation by measurable sums. Yet, rarely do they last to the Black/Steel age.

What is missing for me is the challenges that I saw in Dwarf Fortress, enemies that came at an every increasing level as you advanced. With NPC's not a option, Maybe this could be fixed if Mobs having upgraded Armor as you leveled up or a item worth could be initiated so that the items stored in chests and your inventory could be calculated (I would enjoy seeing this). As for a temporary fix, I would advise those who have these issues to take up a PvP&PvE Roleplay Server (It will take a mature audience, but I have made It work on Many occasions). On large RP servers with sufficient lore, one could do raids, trading, and even politics (Like we all enjoy that...). 

Another thing that is missing is some simple emersion effects like (as was stated in this thread) Body Temperature and Hostile wild animals.

In all, in order to make challenges on Late TFC, I've found that I resort to making challenges for myself through Roleplaying and Mods alike. But, in good faith to the TFC creators, I'll donate to the future of this mod.

For those who are interested in Vamping Up the Difficulty or add quality, I have a few mods That I use all the time Here:

• Zombie Awareness - Gives Mobs Extreme sensitivity to your presence, Get Hit or Breaks block and they will come, Leave torches outside and they will swarm.
  • Better Storage - Lock picking, Locked Chest, Realistic Backpacks, and General Storage upgrades. Allows players better mobility without compromising too much. (Need Custom NPC's edits to create locked Chests, Recommend 4xSheet {metal}, 4xLeather, 1 Chest for Reinforced Chest. Recommend bronze to 3xMC Gold recipe and Wrought iron/Steel to 3xMC Iron.)

NB. You need to Look in the Development builds for Better Storage Mod, He is skipping 1.6 so all there will be is devs till 1.7. Last Recommendation comment is needed to in the creation of Keys and Locks, and balances out issues. I hope someone makes a fix for this mod SOON PLZ!

• More Player Models - Allows for players be interactive with their player models. Great for Roleplay.

Awwww no.Now im never going to get another like again.....Goddbye srg

Awwww no.Now im never going to get another like again.....Goddbye srg

That's just asking for it :D You should keep a tally of how many people (aside from me) liked your post.

--

I don't know if you will end up reading this, but I guess for the audience that reads this if not yourself :: I think I know what you mean. And even if I don't, I still agree with and understand your sentiment. For a while now... not just with B77 changes but somewhat prior as well, I have also found myself in a state of wanting to like this mod more than I actually do like the experience of playing it.

And the advancement? - it offers no real reward anyway, almost at any stage. There is no reason to advance... because there is no greater challenge to tackle next, and advancement merely removes a few minor inconveniences. You get to the first level of metallic technology and that's all you ever really need, having right then the means to make every fancy building or interesting statue you could ever want. There are no greater monsters nor complex challenges nor new lands that await you that you don't encounter on your very earliest nights in a new world.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is that of all the awesome ideas that were discussed in the forums over the past year to make this a challenging and adventurous survival mod, the only changes at all that have happened were some small tweaks to the way you do things, not what you can do with things. The challenge and adventure have both been... more or less removed entirely. And that... at least for me, is quite a big disappointment.All that said, this is still my favourite mod and the only way I will play minecraft, and I have nothing but respect for the entire development team. But I really hope the spirit of the mod (or what I thought was the spirit - survivalism) makes its way back into the mod.

However in the mean time... I know I have not said a lot these past months, but I will definitely miss our exchanges, dear Sugar Noodles. I bid you adieu.

you certainly have a point. This seems to be the death of most of the community and the mod in general.

you certainly have a point. This seems to be the death of most of the community and the mod in general.

?????

?????

?????

"are you hearing what im hearing B1?"

"i certainly am B2"

*spends last few minutes of life running around like a chicken screaming.....*

You know, maybe TFC has been to focused on realism to forget that adventure is what attracts us strive for greater. I doubt that a simple dungeon or Mega Boss will fix that issue at all. We need a reason to use better equipment, a reason greater than our fancy. And as far as I'm conserned, only community building (like in DF) or physical constraints have ever enticed me to do better while enjoying it.

Combat has been my focus for awhile now (mainly because I believe that it has been the single greatest enjoyable reason to advance) and I've really began to regard this mod as needing to be played in Multiplayer. I cannot stress it more that this mod requires companionship to be enjoyable (in my opinion).

Looks as though Pakratt has even abandoned TFC Tuesdays. Sigh... It was fun while it all lasted I suppose.

I think it is time that we, the community members of TerraFirmaCraft, begin to help the developers change the direction of this fantastic modification.

No longer it is going to be confined to complex mechanics with a lack of depth.

No longer the difficulty will be un-present.

We're going to change TerraFirmaCraft.

For the greater good of all.

(I apologize for a possible double-post.)

Alright, let's get started on discussion. We are going to need Dunkleosteus and Bioxx in our discussion to discuss about what we could do to change the direction of TerraFirmaCraft. I'll start the topic in the TFC Discussion sub-forum once they are present and ready, as I think it is appropriate that we should start, there.

As for the many of you, prepare the to write the best possibly-well--thought-out suggestions from the past. We are going to need the good ones to actually suggest to Bioxx, in person.

*Sigh

Farewell.... S.

:(

Dunk: Are you still going to work on TFC?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0