Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

23 posts in this topic

So, I've noticed that the FAQ page for our site is quite outdated. I'm looking to write an updated version, but I would like to gather ideas before doing so. So please post what you think are frequently asked questions, and possibly an answer if you can think of one. Although, if you don't know the answer, I still want your questions and I will try to answer them for you.

Erm I just looked at the FAQ and there are only a few things I can discern as potentially broken:

-> sequotia saplings do (now?) in fact exist as I have a small group of them at two of my main installations.

-> the formatting is terrible..at least when I view the FAQ page it is shown as all one big text blob with questions merely bolded to try and make them visible. Every other FAQ Ive read/written has followed the standard of each question on a new line with the answer on the line below it

As far as information, personally Im more accustomed to look at a wiki or other centralized documentation for in-game info if I have questions about in game stuff which is how I found out kapok saplings dont exist

FAQs seem to be more for 'business rules' or 'OoC'/meta stuff, and also taken as an opportunity to point people to other material, communications channels or methods they may help (donations, how to help on the wiki, where the community vent/TS server or IRC channel is, important posts that perhaps should be read before doing anything else, local laws/rules that may be in effect that are not otherwise part of netiquette standards etc).

If you try to put much in-game stuff into the FAQ..where else is the line drawn such that you dont just duplicate the wiki or other documentation and how do you ensure that when one is updated other copies of info are also updated?

One pink elephant that might be added to the FAQ category which Ive encountered is "what is with all the cloak and dagger hiding half the information?"

A couple of posts Ive read in the forums talk about 'devs designing the game to be played a specific way and for players to specialize themselves in SMP' and there seems to be bit of 'we like this, don't like this and you shouldn't post about this or that within this community'.

A good chunk of this attitude is displayed in a thread..somewhere...here talking about some web-based  recipe collection/filing system someone threw together, posted in the forums and the resulting arguments about it revealing things that should be hidden.

If 'these are forbidden topics' or 'this is where the walls of this box' are important, some statement should be in the FAQ,

Community is about information sharing which includes positive 'this is how to fix problem x', negative 'I found a bug doing blah', dissemination 'Here is how to do x', evolution 'I have a alternative way to do x' and expansion 'I have created a new tool/table/block of processed data'.

Since there is a community with most of its potential infrastructure here I assume the intent is for a fully breathing living community to exist but the wiki has a lot of glaring omissions that look more like its been butchered rather than being just incomplete due to busyness or lack of volunteers. 

FAQs seem to be more for 'business rules' or 'OoC'/meta stuff, and also taken as an opportunity to point people to other material, communications channels or methods they may help (donations, how to help on the wiki, where the community vent/TS server or IRC channel is, important posts that perhaps should be read before doing anything else, local laws/rules that may be in effect that are not otherwise part of netiquette standards etc).

If you try to put much in-game stuff into the FAQ..where else is the line drawn such that you dont just duplicate the wiki or other documentation and how do you ensure that when one is updated other copies of info are also updated?

One pink elephant that might be added to the FAQ category which Ive encountered is "what is with all the cloak and dagger hiding half the information?"

A couple of posts Ive read in the forums talk about 'devs designing the game to be played a specific way and for players to specialize themselves in SMP' and there seems to be bit of 'we like this, don't like this and you shouldn't post about this or that within this community'.

A good chunk of this attitude is displayed in a thread..somewhere...here talking about some web-based  recipe collection/filing system someone threw together, posted in the forums and the resulting arguments about it revealing things that should be hidden.

If 'these are forbidden topics' or 'this is where the walls of this box' are important, some statement should be in the FAQ,

Community is about information sharing which includes positive 'this is how to fix problem x', negative 'I found a bug doing blah', dissemination 'Here is how to do x', evolution 'I have a alternative way to do x' and expansion 'I have created a new tool/table/block of processed data'.

Since there is a community with most of its potential infrastructure here I assume the intent is for a fully breathing living community to exist but the wiki has a lot of glaring omissions that look more like its been butchered rather than being just incomplete due to busyness or lack of volunteers. 

The business rules and meta questions are exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to duplicate the wiki on a FAQ page other than questions that are annoyingly repeated like "What are with all these little blocks on the ground?" that the majority of brand new players ask.

Forbidden Topics already have their own post stickied at the top of their respectable Forums. For example the Suggestion Forum has a stickied topic stating something along the lines of "No NPCs"

I agree that some of these could also be included in the FAQ though.

As for the glaring wiki omissions, could you please give me examples? It literally is a lack of volunteers. If you look at the active users page, you can see that in the past month other than 1 other user I've essentially been the only person making updates to pages.

World

Ive read comments to suggest world generation has been modified in some way to generate distribution similar to the real world with discussion about 'latitudes affecting mob and fruit tree generation' etc No info on how this works however. Is it merely some kind of +/- from 0,0 determines it, or is a modified biome effect where each biome generates then decides which flavour of it is ? is there now some limit as to how far the world can extend N - S now so that polar caps could be implemented? If there are bears and deer added to land, do I need to be more careful crossing the vast oceans lest ye kraken or whales come to try and eat me?

Given what is mentioned above the 3 column lists of page links on the main page I expected some kind of 'this is whats different' overview page boldly linked right up front/top that would cover (even just briefly then link to main pages for):

===========

World generation

New/changed variables (Temperature, altitude, sea level, Latitudes and climate variations etc) IS lava truly only spawn on teh very bottom layers now?

There is no nether (or that getting into it and having your game not crash is problematic)

There are many many more different sand/dirt/stone/trees

New features (fruit trees, thatch, new crops, minerals and ores exist

Items/recipes removed or changed

Mechanics

Mob differences/additions (spawn rate, drops, spawn location differences)

Physics (dirt etc now efected by gravity, caveins,

New crafting mechanics (pottery, leatherworking, smithing, cooking)

==========

Some of these topics exist as their own pages even though they are small/almost nonexistant (some are even linked on the main page) but most of this is all on one topic 'how TFC is different from vanilla' so should be together.

On top of this a lot of the areas that warrent their own page (such as the Animals page) are woefully short on info

Animals

I did notice that the animal page has had some updated info added but it contains very little I would expect to find there

"[Note: '*' indicates an animal that hasn't been added to TFC yet. Bolded names refer to animals that don't exist in Vanilla]" leads me to expect perhaps a listing of animals or a table containing animal info, but no such table exists and no star or bold markers I can see in 'documentation'

In my current world I have been unable to find even 1 cow within most of  a 3k block radius of spawn that I have explored, only 1 sheep, a bunch of chickens on a beach, and pigs just everywhere. Its taken several days of piecing bits of forum comments together to understand that:

- most animals are a lot more rare and only spawn within specific parameters (chickens in jungle, sheep in extreme hills)

- chickens spawn in jungle/forest but the 'jungle/forest' does not mean heavily tree'd but in fact a biome which has kapok in it and/or that F3 tells you is that biome.

- there are apparently 'deer' in TFC but I have never seen mention of them existing in vanilla so I assume they are a TFC feature

- bears (assuming another feature) and wolves may or may not breed depending on which info is read

- chicken breeding is disabled except if you 'cheat' using pumpkin seeds and eggs are now unobtainable (I got a couple of them in an earlier version before I updated a couple weeks ago)

- Ive heard no mention of ocelots so I assume they have been disabled?

Food

Food preparation tells of a wonderful system to create 'meals' by combining ingredients but the food page doesnt list all the different things that count as food (cheese is documented elsewhere in the wiki but not mentioned here for eg)

It doesn't specify 'game rule' information like '4 of any one food is not a valid combination' or the fact that just looking at a 4 food item combination of the 38 that I know of that seem valid, this generates slightly over 73000 possible combinations, so unless you cheat, play for a very very long time or turn it into a community wide effort (if you play on a server) which in this community is considered a cardinal sin apparently, you have no way of testing this kind of list beyond a few random shots in the dark.

Nor that items such as eggs are currently unobtainable and sugar, mushrooms, alcohol which is otherwise useless (unless you have seen the v77 vid outlining new changes that mentions alcohol may randomly give some buff) and who-knows-what else are not part of the subset of foods that are meal-foods. Is mushroom soup even a craftable/edible thing anymore? (I dont remember it being listed on the disabled recipe list) do cocoa beans even still spawn anymore?

...I have a fair amount of time on my hands, but Im not sure other than throwing lists of broken/missing things at you guys and suggestions to the suggestion forums for discussion potential integration into TFC or a addon what else I could do to help.

This might help to get the FAQ ball rolling:

================Begin FAQ=====================

1 TerraFirmaCraft (TFC)

1.1 What is the current status of TFC?

TFC is still considered to be in Beta. As such please be aware that there are still bugs being found and ongoing development and implementation of content, features and documentation.

1.2 Is there a list of already known bugs available?

A list of known bugs for the current version of TFC can be found in the Support section of the forums HERE

1.3  How can I report a bug I have found?

First you should make sure you are running the current version of TFC as the bug you have found may have already been fixed. If your running the latest stable version, next check HERE to make sure the bug is not already known. If it is not listed visit the Support  section of the forums and follow the instructions at the bottom of the sticky/pinned thread titled Read Before Posting: xx.xx Official Bug List

1.4 What is TFC about (why build it when there are so many other mods already in existence?)
Click the info tab at the top of the page

1.5 Why is this mod called TerraFirmaCraft?
<insert answer here>

1.6 Is TFC trying to be as realistic as possible?
No, the aim of TFC is to bring some much needed believability to Minecraft. This means that sometimes realism is compromised for the sake of gameplay while still trying to present a world that feels real.

1.7 Aren't you making things too complicated?
That's really up to the player themselves to determine. Doing even simple tasks can take a while in TFC. We believe this adds to the sense of achievement.

1.8 How is TFC different from all the other mods?
Because TFC strives for believability it is essentially a Total Conversion (rewriting many of the mechanics,
objects, recipes etc) For a full list of differences we suggest you read our overview page in the wiki <here>.

1.8 What about feature X? It's not very real!
TFC is very much still under heavy development. There are whole sections of the mod that aren't even implemented yet. If something doesn't seem to make sense, I ask you you look past it for now and wait for the final product to make your judgement.

1.9 Is this mod compatible with X mod?

I have no idea. This mod uses forge and tries not to edit base classes when it can help it. However it does a lot of things that no API can help with so it must edit some base classes. As long as you aren't using anything else that edits base classes, there should be no issues usually. You will probably run into problems with recipes in those other mods. If you need to use some item that is disabled, there is an option in TFCOptions.cfg to enable vanilla recipes which will often times allow you to convert TFC items to their vanilla counterparts.

2 Community

2.1 Are there any 'forbidden topics' or TFC specifi rules I should know about?
There are a number of things that we ask you to not talk about or ask for which are documented in each forum in Sticky posts. An example of this is that you not request or suggest that NPCs be added to the game which is mentioned in the Suggestion forum. Discussion of this was finalised a long time ago and design decisions/balancing issues irrevocably settled so asking when told not to is considered a form of trolling and will be dealt with.

2.2 Who are the developers of this mod?
Bioxx and Dunkleosteus

2.3 Does this community have a community accessible game server, IRC channel or TS/Vent server?
A list of game servers can be found in the Servers Forum. For the IRC channel click the IRC Popout tab at the top of the page. No TS/Vent Server

2.4 This mod is awesome so Id like to donate some money towards its continued development. How do I do this?
See that big green button at the top of the page that says Donate? Click it.

3 Gameplay

3.1(a)Whats with all these little blocks on the ground?
3.1(B)When I try and punch a tree down it takes forever and the block just disappears?!?
3.1©Why can't I find x?
3.1(d)It's not letting me make x!
3.1(e)I see 'x' which Ive never seen before, what is it? What does it do? How does it work?!?
Its an Elvis Presley. Seriously, there are many new features, mechanics and items added and describing them all is the job of the Wiki. If you are frothing at the mouth to dive right in, at least take the time to read the Stone Age Guide as even the best gamers are likely to be frustrated without some foreknowledge of how to survive the first day/night.

If you would prefer to takes ya chances, the Quickstart Overview is a short list of significant changes to skim rather than trying to inhale the entire wiki in one gulp.

You can then look through the extensive wiki to determine what the thing your looking at is (preferably before it kills you, how to use or make something before you die from not using it or you throw it away and try screaming profusely at the screen wishing you hadn't.

================End FAQ================

edits:

updted Q3.1 answer (still needs quickstart guide link once its built)

-added Qs 1.1 - 1.3

-added question numbering to help with referencing

-misc spelling/typos corrected

need to
 Add index/contents table at top
 Add links/answers to some questions
 Add preferred formatting (bold Qs, colour links, keywords etc), insert images or links where needed
 rewrite to use less big words and add personality

Edited by Rkaneus
Added Answers

World

Ive read comments to suggest world generation has been modified in some way to generate distribution similar to the real world with discussion about 'latitudes affecting mob and fruit tree generation' etc No info on how this works however. Is it merely some kind of +/- from 0,0 determines it, or is a modified biome effect where each biome generates then decides which flavour of it is ? is there now some limit as to how far the world can extend N - S now so that polar caps could be implemented? If there are bears and deer added to land, do I need to be more careful crossing the vast oceans lest ye kraken or whales come to try and eat me?

Given what is mentioned above the 3 column lists of page links on the main page I expected some kind of 'this is whats different' overview page boldly linked right up front/top that would cover (even just briefly then link to main pages for):

===========

World generation

New/changed variables (Temperature, altitude, sea level, Latitudes and climate variations etc) IS lava truly only spawn on teh very bottom layers now?

There is no nether (or that getting into it and having your game not crash is problematic)

There are many many more different sand/dirt/stone/trees

New features (fruit trees, thatch, new crops, minerals and ores exist

Items/recipes removed or changed

Mechanics

Mob differences/additions (spawn rate, drops, spawn location differences)

Physics (dirt etc now efected by gravity, caveins,

New crafting mechanics (pottery, leatherworking, smithing, cooking)

==========

Some of these topics exist as their own pages even though they are small/almost nonexistant (some are even linked on the main page) but most of this is all on one topic 'how TFC is different from vanilla' so should be together.

On top of this a lot of the areas that warrent their own page (such as the Animals page) are woefully short on info

Animals

I did notice that the animal page has had some updated info added but it contains very little I would expect to find there

"[Note: '*' indicates an animal that hasn't been added to TFC yet. Bolded names refer to animals that don't exist in Vanilla]" leads me to expect perhaps a listing of animals or a table containing animal info, but no such table exists and no star or bold markers I can see in 'documentation'

In my current world I have been unable to find even 1 cow within most of  a 3k block radius of spawn that I have explored, only 1 sheep, a bunch of chickens on a beach, and pigs just everywhere. Its taken several days of piecing bits of forum comments together to understand that:

- most animals are a lot more rare and only spawn within specific parameters (chickens in jungle, sheep in extreme hills)

- chickens spawn in jungle/forest but the 'jungle/forest' does not mean heavily tree'd but in fact a biome which has kapok in it and/or that F3 tells you is that biome.

- there are apparently 'deer' in TFC but I have never seen mention of them existing in vanilla so I assume they are a TFC feature

- bears (assuming another feature) and wolves may or may not breed depending on which info is read

- chicken breeding is disabled except if you 'cheat' using pumpkin seeds and eggs are now unobtainable (I got a couple of them in an earlier version before I updated a couple weeks ago)

- Ive heard no mention of ocelots so I assume they have been disabled?

Food

Food preparation tells of a wonderful system to create 'meals' by combining ingredients but the food page doesnt list all the different things that count as food (cheese is documented elsewhere in the wiki but not mentioned here for eg)

It doesn't specify 'game rule' information like '4 of any one food is not a valid combination' or the fact that just looking at a 4 food item combination of the 38 that I know of that seem valid, this generates slightly over 73000 possible combinations, so unless you cheat, play for a very very long time or turn it into a community wide effort (if you play on a server) which in this community is considered a cardinal sin apparently, you have no way of testing this kind of list beyond a few random shots in the dark.

Nor that items such as eggs are currently unobtainable and sugar, mushrooms, alcohol which is otherwise useless (unless you have seen the v77 vid outlining new changes that mentions alcohol may randomly give some buff) and who-knows-what else are not part of the subset of foods that are meal-foods. Is mushroom soup even a craftable/edible thing anymore? (I dont remember it being listed on the disabled recipe list) do cocoa beans even still spawn anymore?

...I have a fair amount of time on my hands, but Im not sure other than throwing lists of broken/missing things at you guys and suggestions to the suggestion forums for discussion potential integration into TFC or a addon what else I could do to help.

The reason there isn't a "This is what's different" page is because we're trying to reduce redundancy as much as possible. Makes my life easier when it comes time to update pages. I would say 90% of things that are different from Vanilla are listed on the front page. As for mobs, there are individual pages for the majority of the passive ones, but I'm still writing the hostile pages. The only new mobs are bears and deer. All of the new crafting mechanics are listed on the front page as well.

This is a list of pages that are planned, but haven't been written yet, or need to be re-written:

Latitude - For now just know that Z coords are latitude and X coords are longitude

Climate - What mobs spawns are actually based off of. F3 biome value only determines the shape of the terrain and nothing else

Mobs

Lava

Here are a list of pages that answer some of your questions. Ones marked with a * are located on the home page of the wiki and/or the main navigation box at the bottom of every page

*Ambient Temperature*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Ambient_Temperature

Biome (Still Under Construction): http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Biome

*Dirt/Sand/Clay and all the variations + Physics Changes*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Land

*Different types of Stone*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Stone

*Different types of Trees*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Trees

*All of the ores and minerals, what they are used for and where they spawn*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Ores_%26_Minerals

*New Crops*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Agriculture

*Removed/Changed Recipes*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Crafting_Differences

*Mobs*: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Chicken

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Cow

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Pig

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Sheep

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Squid

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Deer

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Bear

Ocelots are disabled and therefore there are no pages for them on the wiki.

*Cave-Ins* http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Support_Beams

Cheese is a brand new feature and I haven't had a chance to add it to the food page.

Mushroom soup is craftable, but you can't eat it. Same goes for pumpkin pie

Cocoa beans do not spawn as vanilla worldgen was thrown out the window and there are no "Jungle" trees for them to spawn on.

You should also note that there is a Guides section on the front as well, that states the basic mechanics for the stone age, the casting age and the iron+ age.

I would also like to say that the mod is still very much in beta. As for bug tracking, I'm leaving that to the support forum stickied post instead of trying to keep the wiki constantly up to date with bugs. For example: the whole chickens not laying eggs.

So right now 77.21, chicken breeding is impossible in servers without permission? Cool, ran around for an hour on the big island where i've settled to find a chicken for my rooster, and all for nothing! :D

Ok, i only hope 77.22 or 78 will come quickly  :)

So right now 77.21, chicken breeding is impossible in servers without permission? Cool, ran around for an hour on the big island where i've settled to find a chicken for my rooster, and all for nothing! :D

Ok, i only hope 77.22 or 78 will come quickly  :)

Pumpkin Seeds will breed chickens for now unless that is turned off on your server, in which case it is your admins issue, not TFC. Chicken eggs are a different story.

How can i gather some planks without an axe? 'cause when i put it with the wood in crafting, it doesnt work.

How can i gather some planks without an axe? 'cause when i put it with the wood in crafting, it doesnt work.

Put the axe next to it. And read the wiki. ;)

You can't. The axe planks recipe was removed in build 77. If you're confused as to how you're supposed to get a metal saw without planks, I suggest reading the following updated guides:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/No_nonsense,_a_stone-age_guide

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Metalworking_Industry

Put the axe next to it. And read the wiki. ;)

Maybe you should read the wiki and the changelog before giving incorrect information. ;)

scroll up to the top of this page, not to the beginning of this thread, and there is a big "download" section of the website, go there.

Is there a way to update other than deleting and re-downloading the mod?

Multi MC is a great way to have a new install, while keeping your old versions also. I suggest you look into that if you want to keep previous versions (ive got a build 70 version that I play)

Is there a way to update other than deleting and re-downloading the mod?

No. However, the only thing that you should be deleting is the TFC Jar file, and replacing it with the new one. You don't have to delete anything else (although deleting configs while updating is always recommended).

hmm do animals take damage in hot springs?

hmm do animals take damage in hot springs?

The only time an animal will take damage in a hot spring is if they are drowning.

Is TFC being updated to 1.7.10? If so, how long will it take?

Before you think bad stuff about me for asking that, I need to know it so that I can schedule my mod development time. If it takes another month, then I'll code my mod. If it takes just a week (or less), then I'll wait for the 1.7.10 version.

The next version of TFC won't be released for quite some time.

The next version of TFC won't be released for quite some time.

Okay then! That means I'll have to code it in 1.6.4. Thanks for answering, Dunk!