Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Copper

The "Why Can't I...?" Thread

36 posts in this topic

Why can't I breed chickens?

No matter if roosts are coming, you disabled the breeding too early. Could you do that inmediately before b78?!?!

Why can't I find surface iron/gold ore?

There exists bog iron, surface iron ore. You should be able to pick it up from the surface. Gold can also be sluiced from the surface.

Why can't I kill a zombie with my fists?

For some reasons there exist martial arts, and some punches can be deadly if done in the neck.

Well, you can breed chickens with pumpkin seeds right now, and they're an obtainable resource. And when you say gold can be sluiced from the surface, do you mean that it can be in TFC or just in real life. Because I know it can be done in real life, just unsure about TFC

For some reasons there exist martial arts, and some punches can be deadly if done in the neck.

./

you CAN kill zombies with you fists, it just takes a long, long time to do so. But I agree, we should be able to train our bare-fisted moves

why can't I make soup?

I got fire, I got water, I got bowls, I got bones(for stock), I got meat and veggies, but no soup. Why?

why cant I drop food on the ground for my animals to eat?

For some reason, the animals in minecraft need to be hand-fed.

why cant I give my animals food to heal them?

animals should slowly regenerate health when full, and starve when not fed

why don'y my animals eat my crops?

they eat processed grain off my had, but won't even look at all the wheat growing in the fields.

Why can't I breed chickens?

No matter if roosts are coming, you disabled the breeding too early. Could you do that inmediately before b78?!?!

Why can't I find surface iron/gold ore?

There exists bog iron, surface iron ore. You should be able to pick it up from the surface. Gold can also be sluiced from the surface.

Chicken breeding was implemented for a while, and things were great. Bioxx disagreed, and deleted all the code that made them mate and breed. It would have been a pain to put it all back in again, but even so, it was apparent that he had a specific opinion on chicken breeding, so I dropped the topic. As for surface ores, you are entirely correct. Nearly all metals mined in antiquity were from the surface, mining through solid rocks with hand tools is very slow and difficult, however this is not the case in-game, so concessions must be made. On another note, I recently came across a non- tier-0 / tier-1 ore the other day. I think it was a native gold nugget from breaking a rock. I was surprised, but I guess its not impossible. We're aware that our ore generation code isn't entirely perfect, and that we don't *actually* fully understand why things may happen the way they do, although it turns out the way we want most of the time. We will occasionally come across something that explicitly should not happen, but that's rather rare. We wanted to convey a sense of weakness to the player, instead of another game about a super-human who can kill with a single punch or knock enemies flying. 

./

you CAN kill zombies with you fists, it just takes a long, long time to do so. But I agree, we should be able to train our bare-fisted moves

why can't I make soup?

I got fire, I got water, I got bowls, I got bones(for stock), I got meat and veggies, but no soup. Why?

why cant I drop food on the ground for my animals to eat?

For some reason, the animals in minecraft need to be hand-fed.

why cant I give my animals food to heal them?

animals should slowly regenerate health when full, and starve when not fed

why don'y my animals eat my crops?

they eat processed grain off my had, but won't even look at all the wheat growing in the fields.

Dropping food on the ground was actually a feature I developed nearly a year ago (summer 2012) for some animal features I was working on but eventually just got scrapped. I didn't understand nearly as much about minecraft of java back then, so I'm sure I could do it much better now. Basically, it had animals like dogs and bears running after items on the ground they wanted to eat, and picking them up and eating them. It was supposed to allow animals like wolves or bears that actively kill wild mobs to be able to eat the raw meat dropped by their prey, as part of the original animal hunger system. In the end, it didn't really worked as I would have liked (given my inexperience then, it's understandable) and the feature was set aside. However, animals DO still retain a hidden hunger value which determines whether they want to eat. Originally, they starved when their hunger dropped to zero, but this raises a number of problems; for example stats and the like are connected to the world / server clock, not the number of ticks a block or entity is loaded, so if you had animals and logged out of a server while it was running, or you skipped the game-time with a command, animal hunger would zero out and there would have been no time for the animals to attempt to eat, leading to rapid starvation. At the moment, hunger decides whether a herbivore will attempt to eat a grass block, which DOES restore that animal's health. I don't think you can heal non-herbivores, but when they're usefulness is fleshed out, it will probably be fixed. Do you want them to try to eat your crops? I guess it wasn't a thing before because it just seemed like a hassle.

Does Bioxx hate chickens? :D

Why cant I...eat mushrooms ?

IRL many people swear they are a good food and when your just starting anything you can get can be needful.

I might have just a thing for you some time in the future, among with other things. Dot get your hopes up that it will be soon, though.

Do you want them to try to eat your crops? I guess it wasn't a thing before because it just seemed like a hassle.

/

Yes, that means we have to look out for 'pests' that want to eat our crops

zombies trying to eat animals would be nice too.

You know, make players protect their food source?

I know a couple of mods that had mobs that kill farm animals and destroy crops. it was fun to make plans to protect and conserve my food stores without just putting them deep underground.

Also, animals eating grain and stuff in chests and vessels would be fun...(but people would probably hate it)

Just saying, animals in TFC are really picky. They only eat processed grain, and only eat off your hand

Why can't I put javelin heads on planks(not blocks)?

Here, I have planks sticking out from the ground on the bottom of my moat

And here, I have a really sharp peace of rock that I can place on sticks.

So why cant I place the javelin heads on planks and make traps/fences that people cant climb?

There is already a way to make pitfalls using grass(sort of), so why cant we put planks beneath it, put javelin heads on the planks, and make a trap?

Why can't I make cereal?(or porridge, or cooked rice)

I have 2 chests full of wheat, 1 chest full of oats,  and a stack of rice. They were all eaten as porridge, cereal, or just cooked, but instead, if I want to eat my grains and actually get full without spend a ton of time/grain, I have to get some ores, make a pick, get 3 raw stone, get some more ores, make a chisel, make a hammer, get 3 smooth stone, take the stone and make a quern, then grind the grains, then get bread. Being able to get cereal/porridge/cooked rice out of our grain will make growing grain crops more useful. as of now, due to the low nutrition value of crops, it seems like the only reason for getting crops is if you want to breed animals, or you don't have space/time to cook meat and take care of the hides and meat

The thing about coding is that you often look at how something has to behave. You decide under what conditions it should behave a certain way and try to identify which cases are irrelevant to simplify the problem. For example: realistically, rocks picked up off the ground would only drop ore if they were ore, instead of scanning for ore when broken and deciding whether they should drop ore; the rocks would know from the start. However, because they can't be placed back on the ground, we can say that the rocks resolve their drop when broken. While that scenario is different than how real rocks would behave, they behave the same way for the specific situations which can occur in the game. If they had to remember if they were a placed stone or a generated stone, they'd have to store more data besides just the regular rock type (blocks have a very limited range of memory, so you really don't want to be storing too much data in them).

Basically, we smudge the definition of certain objects to simplify their behaviours.

I thought about this. so basically, the problem here is that you cant have a stone store the data needed to remember that it's a placed stone or not, and if the stone doesn't remember, it can lead to ore farming(break and retrieve stone till it drops as a ore bit).

So, if there was a easy way to separate generated stones(ores) with placed stones, placing stones can happen?

What if, when a stone is generated by the world, there is a chance for it to generate as a ore bit? It will be the same as before, except that instead of deciding if it should be a ore after it breaks, it decides when it generates in the world. A ore will have separate textures from the stone. And breaking a ore on the ground gives ores, breaking stone on the ground gives stone. this way, you don't have to make the stone remember if it was generated or not.

I don't know if making a new block will be more possible than making the stone remember if it was generated or not, but it's a idea