Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corki99

Ideas on a better combat system

11 posts in this topic

I have always wanted a better combat system, and in this post I will tell you how I want the better combat system to work. The reason why I want a better combat system is because 1. I do not like the click-hit system 2. I do not like how someone would lose in combat just because one has better gear then the other. In my new combat system it relies on a couple of factors which is blocking, attack speed, stamina, and light and heavy attacks. How light & heavy attacks work is that they are two types of attacks executed by how long you click the mouse, a light attack is done with a tap of the left mouse button that does less damage but is quicker, a heavy attack is executed by holding it for less than a second the left mouse button which does more damage but is slower. The next thing is the concept of blocking, blocking works by right clicking a weapon or shield(yes i said shield) but what is different is that you do not instantly block because it takes a bit of time before you get to block. Stamina is the last concept, stamina is a meter that gets depleted by running, dodging (dodging is executed by double tapping the A,D, or S keys and for a forward dodge is done by double tapping and NOT holding the W key), getting hit when your shield is up, and swinging your weapon or holding your bow. If you don't have any stamina when you block a attack you take half damage. The second part of this topic is more weapons. More weapons would include things like claymores, war axes, new types of bows, and halberds. Every weapon has a set of stats such as attack speed. With more weapons there needs to be more armor. Depending on the armor type it can make you slow or make it feel like your not wearing anything. This is what I think should be added to Terrafirmacraft and this concludes my post.

Just to say the main thing on this post was the new combat system, I was just talking about weapons because a new combat system would not work without new weapons

I have always wanted a better combat system, and in this post I will tell you how I want the better combat system to work. The reason why I want a better combat system is because 1. I do not like the click-hit system 2. I do not like how someone would lose in combat just because one has better gear then the other. In my new combat system it relies on a couple of factors which is blocking, attack speed, stamina, and light and heavy attacks. How light & heavy attacks work is that they are two types of attacks executed by how long you click the mouse, a light attack is done with a tap of the left mouse button that does less damage but is quicker, a heavy attack is executed by holding it for less than a second the left mouse button which does more damage but is slower. The next thing is the concept of blocking, blocking works by right clicking a weapon or shield(yes i said shield) but what is different is that you do not instantly block because it takes a bit of time before you get to block. Stamina is the last concept, stamina is a meter that gets depleted by running, dodging (dodging is executed by double tapping the A,D, or S keys and for a forward dodge is done by double tapping and NOT holding the W key), getting hit when your shield is up, and swinging your weapon or holding your bow. If you don't have any stamina when you block a attack you take half damage. The second part of this topic is more weapons. More weapons would include things like claymores, war axes, new types of bows, and halberds. Every weapon has a set of stats such as attack speed. With more weapons there needs to be more armor. Depending on the armor type it can make you slow or make it feel like your not wearing anything. This is what I think should be added to Terrafirmacraft and this concludes my post.

Just to say the main thing on this post was the new combat system, I was just talking about weapons because a new combat system would not work without new weapons

///

The combat system has been the in the top discussed suggestions, in these past weeks. Please refer to the Combat Opinion Poll topic in the Discussion forum.

I don't really know nothing much of the combat revamps, at this point, due to busying myself with my personal works, so head to the poll topic and analyze the discussions, then compare and contrast with your own.

wow finally a reply. Derp

Oh and you never said how you liked it soo... do ya?

How about stabbing? and having 'weak points' on armor (cracks) that you can stab a sword/dagger/etc into it and not get blocked by the armor at all. and parrying could be nice too.

How about stabbing? and having 'weak points' on armor (cracks) that you can stab a sword/dagger/etc into it and not get blocked by the armor at all. and parrying could be nice too.

Maybe but how would you do a stabbing motion without compromising other controls? But weak points are cool too. Also, Parrying is the same as blocking or if your referring to a counter attack how would that be accomplished?

Maybe but how would you do a stabbing motion without compromising other controls? But weak points are cool too. Also, Parrying is the same as blocking or if your referring to a counter attack how would that be accomplished?

/

I think stabbing could be a combo of crouching, and attacking, or you could use the 'use' button. another option would be to make weapons that stab (spear, dagger, etc) stab when you use them, so you cant use them with other weapons. You could also add another 'special attack' button, which will stab, throw, make a strong hit, etc depending on the weapon. besides, the mouse has 3 buttons you can click. you can put them to attack, stab, and block, respectively.

On parrying, you said there would be a window of time before a attack 'hits' right? a 'parry' would be like an attack, but be faster, and deal no damage(not even make them jump). but if you parry at an opponent when he is attacking and it 'hits' before the attack lands on you, the attack will be cancelled, and your opponent will be 'stunned' for a short time, (like, 0.75 seconds), letting you counter attack. this will prevent someone from winning just by spamming the attack button.

If a parry is held for a long time(a.k.a, longer than a single click) it turns into a block.

The system I'm thinking of, is the left-click attackes, right-click stabs/throws/etc, and clicking the mouse 'scroll button' (aka Mbutton or the middle button) parries/blockes.

this will solve the stabbing and parring, no?

oh, and I think bladed weapons should be easier to use and deal more damage, but heavy/blunt weapons, while being weaker and using more energy to swing, will deal more damage to armor, and deal more damage to people who are wearing armor. the reason for this is if you get hit by a knife(had one drop on me), and you have some sort of protection, it doesn't hurt that bad. but if you get hit with a hammer, even if you have a metal helmet, it would hurt a lot more(and make your head ring a lot)

Armor could be divided into groups too.

a 'hard' armor would stop edges quite well, but it won't be good at negating shock, so big, heavy weapons can still hurt you

a 'soft' armor could negate most of the crushing force of heavy weapons, but would get shredded by blades and arrows

also, a bladed heavy weapon like battleaxes should deal heavy damage to both types of armor, but be extremely hard to wield and take LOTS of resources to make.

Well I like what your suggesting but I don't think a crouch should do a stab. Instead, there should be a button on the key board to toggle modes. Such as a mode in which in stead of blocking with the axe with the right mouse button it throws it. 

Well I like what your suggesting but I don't think a crouch should do a stab. Instead, there should be a button on the key board to toggle modes. Such as a mode in which in stead of blocking with the axe with the right mouse button it throws it. 

/

that could work as well. I agree on the no crouch, as it is not the best way.

But I dob't know if a toggle button can be the best way. I mean, there is already a toggle tool modes button (m, by default), but really, I find it hard to press so many buttons in the midst of combat, and I'd hate to throw away my axe in the middle of battle

I think using the mouse scroll button would be better, as you can click it for throw/stab easily while during combat, and there is no danger of using the wrong move. Of course, the one problem is that the mouse scroll button isn't on laptops...

Note: Just in case, when I say mouse scroll button, I don't mean scrolling the mouse, you can press the mouse scroll button(aka Mbutton, middle button,)

Just pressing the mouse wheel button sounds cool but what happens if you accidentally roll it and then you don't have a weapon in your hand.

Besides, you don't need to use different modes so often. Because just using your slice attacks will do well. Also, maybe the G key should be used in toggling weapon modes. (even if there might only be two or three modes)

Just pressing the mouse wheel button sounds cool but what happens if you accidentally roll it and then you don't have a weapon in your hand.

Besides, you don't need to use different modes so often. Because just using your slice attacks will do well. Also, maybe the G key should be used in toggling weapon modes. (even if there might only be two or three modes)

/

well, I don't know about you, but I use that button a lot, and i never accidenty rolled it.

oh I just realised... FTC has a toggle tool modes button.... the players can change it to any button they want.....

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0