Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JJ's Juggernaut

[Solved] Lost World, please help!

9 posts in this topic

I have been loving Terrafirmacraft since I started playing it two weeks ago. I was playing yesterday when I attempted to cut down a sequoia tree, which resulted in my game crashing. I restarted minecraft only to find that my world no longer shows up in the world list, even though the file is still in the .minecraft "saves" file.

I have tried to do some research on the problem through Google, and it seems that that my world may be lost and that there is no way to recover it... I have spent numerous hour on this one world and to be honest I don't feel like even trying to restart a new single player world. Does anyone have suggestions for me to try or would someone be willing to look at my world save file? I don't know anything about code. If someone is willing to look at my file, please suggest a way for me to get the file to you, since it is 149 MB :(

Unfortunately it is very likely that the save file is corrupted and cannot be recovered. Large Sequoias trees have always caused issues as they cause a lot of block updates at once and the majority of clients can't handle the processing needed. What probably happened was the crash occurred at the same time that the world was saving, which resulted in an incomplete overwrite of your file resulting in it being corrupted.

This just happened to me five minutes ago. I was finally getting the hang of things yesterday so started a brand new world, and tonight I did the same thing as you.

Copying the level.dat file from another save allowed me to load up the world. The only problem is you won't be in the same location and your inventory will be different. If you can remember your coordinates from before the crash, you could teleport or fly there.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I just 'lost' a world I'd been working on for days. It also happened to me when I was chopping a Sequoia (I'm going to be avoiding them in future) and showed up in my 'Saves' folder but not when the game loaded.  I took the level.dat file from another game and put it in the 'lost' game folder and was able to load the game. I had Reis Minimpay installed so it was easy to find my way home. Only casualty was the contents of my inventory.

I find that if you pillar up and chop the large 2x2 tress down closer to the top it makes less strain on the server and makes crashes less likely. Also, try to disconnect the leaves of multiple trees touching as I noticed that caused the server to check many leave blocks for decay and that can also cause a crash.

It also happened to me once. In another way, not by taking down a sequoia but it doesn't matter. Since then i got a backup mod and i wonder if it happens to me again if i could load a backup save without any problems?

Yes, backups are handled completely separately and in theory you should never have to worry about them being corrupted, that's the whole point of a backup. The only problem you have with loading a backup save is that you will have lost all progress that you have done since that backup was saved.

One suggestion for sequoias I've heard is to start a sequoia off with a stone axe to clear some of the leaves at the very top and then continue with a metal axe. It helps, but doesn't guarantee 100% against a crash. Another solution is to scale the tree with ladders and scythe away the leaves before felling it, but this doesn't help the people who are already having issues with their world.

In a corrupted world would it be possible to rename the playername.dat so a fresh user joins the world at the default spawn (likely not by the sequoias) and then travel to the sequoia area to load those chunks again. Might the game then sort itself out and allow the user to rejoin with their original playername.dat? Or would it be so corrupted that they cannot join no matter what?

One suggestion for sequoias I've heard is to start a sequoia off with a stone axe to clear some of the leaves at the very top and then continue with a metal axe. It helps, but doesn't guarantee 100% against a crash. Another solution is to scale the tree with ladders and scythe away the leaves before felling it, but this doesn't help the people who are already having issues with their world.

In a corrupted world would it be possible to rename the playername.dat so a fresh user joins the world at the default spawn (likely not by the sequoias) and then travel to the sequoia area to load those chunks again. Might the game then sort itself out and allow the user to rejoin with their original playername.dat? Or would it be so corrupted that they cannot join no matter what?

His problem is that the world doesn't even come up in the world list. Renaming the playername.dat would not help with this.