Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Borgie

Stalagmites, stalactite, and columns!

11 posts in this topic

I tried using the forum search feature, so my apologies if this has been mentioned.

A purely cosmetic change I wouldn't mind seeing is columns (quite simply, where a stalagmite and stalactite meet).   If I understand incorrectly there is typically a one-to-one relationship of stalags & stalacs.  Obviously this would affect world generation, as you'd need to pair up each of these.

I've seen a few places where a number of stalagmites appeared together, with nothing on the top, and it looked quite awkward me.

Being mostly cosmetic, I wouldn't put this high up on the to-do list.

IRL if a stalactite forms(the hanging one), a stalagmite will form underneath it, as the water drops from the hanging on, onto the upwards growing one. With time, give it 1 million years these two will join together, and form a column, so i can see where you are coming from with this post.

Although what benefit would be gained, if it was implemented so it actually works like this? I can only really see it as a really technical issue right now?

"what benefit would be gained"?  None, except appearance.

Arguably, stalactites have no real "benefit" either.  (stalagmite do at least provide obstacles)

TFC caves already look so much better than vanilla, this would just be one more plus.

When the thread is here. I would love to see the pathing of mobs around stalactites/stalagmites fixed. Zombies always get stuck in them, which makes them much less dangerous in caverns.

no reason not to do this I guess, probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Simple, yet elegant. I like it! You have my support on this idea.

IRL if a stalactite forms(the hanging one), a stalagmite will form underneath it, as the water drops from the hanging on, onto the upwards growing one. With time, give it 1 million years these two will join together, and form a column, so i can see where you are coming from with this post.

Although what benefit would be gained, if it was implemented so it actually works like this? I can only really see it as a really technical issue right now?

/

it can take a lot shorter than 1 million years. If the area has a lot of rain, stalactite/stalagmite growth is sped up.

Oh benefits, we can have joy and beautiful caves

In real life, the problem with all these ideas is that the vast majority of caves and caverns are in karst regions (mainly limestone). All the caves simply dont form as they do in TFC or Minecraft in real life. There are some other smaller systems such as tunnels through lava fields and such. I personaly am not opposed to the system, or columns, but for realism, the vast majority of the caves wouldnt exist and those that do wouldnt go as deep as they do, and there are more natural entrances than in TFC.

But how would this be accomplished?

It takes a LONG time for stalagmites and stalactites to form

I think he means when the world generates

It's just a matter of making sure that on world generation, all of the stalactites have a stalagmite underneath them and vice versa.