Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Raquaza98

Stay real

39 posts in this topic

Well, I have a suggestion for TFC

Here is it: Stay realistic and DON'T add things like magic and stuff (like happen in vanilla minecraft..)

I really like the idea of the add-ons because is something that aren't in the basic game but you can install it, like this mod into minecraft

Also I want to say thank at all the people that are reading this topic for playing and developeling this fantastic mod (I wish it is a game) and it's feature

Thanks

Hey, well, some of us, the members of the TFC community often call TFC a game, rather than a mod. Due to its unique structure, I even hate a bit to call TFC a mod. A mod modifies a game. For me TFC makes a new Minecraft. Like a revolution... :D

our science is no where near advanced enough for that.

We aren't talking science. Multiverse explanation is not a way to suggest to add particle accelerators and Strange Matter condensers. We could avoid using magic as explanation completely by introducing science-y things like "resonator of certain structure, after accepting certain amount of energy being pumped inside the frame, starts to deform a brane in the center, which, in turn, provides enough of a curvative of space-time to establish a semi-stable bridge with parallel universe as long as energy keeps being pumped".

To think about it, that's exactly how Nether portals are, if you lose the part about energy required to hold the warp.

Or something like that - sci-fi does it, so can we.

We aren't talking science. Multiverse explanation is not a way to suggest to add particle accelerators and Strange Matter condensers. We could avoid using magic as explanation completely by introducing science-y things like "resonator of certain structure, after accepting certain amount of energy being pumped inside the frame, starts to deform a brane in the center, which, in turn, provides enough of a curvative of space-time to establish a semi-stable bridge with parallel universe as long as energy keeps being pumped".

To think about it, that's exactly how Nether portals are, if you lose the part about energy required to hold the warp.

Or something like that - sci-fi does it, so can we.

This isn't a science-y mod, like industrial craft or something, it's a stone-age-medieval mod and one that doesn't try to hide much. We don't have blocks or objects that perform tasks in mysterious ways, you can't slap a few items together and it does miraculous things. Everything in TFC is pretty straight forward, our querns grind grain by rotating stone plates, our tools are hammered from hot metal or cast into molds. I just can't see "technology" or "science" in TFC being anything other than something you can see with your own eyes. 

I think magic can be added. I mean, if TFC was to be 100% realistic, zombies, skeletons, spiders, creepers, and so on would have to go, and be replaced by natural animals

I don't think there should be spell casting, or magic traps, or fireballs and whatnot. 

But I think small things could be implemented. Like brewing potions and herbs to make them, things to (slightly) speed up plant growth, a charm to make you mine a little bit faster, little things with effects that are barely noticeable, but can help out in a pinch.

I'd like it to be things you can never use your entire TFC life, and never be at a disadvantage with people who use them. So you can choose  play minecfat style, to mine for metals and make armor and tools, or  play in a herbalist stlye wander around looking for exotic herbs, make a little hut in the wild and brew potions and make medicine, be a shamen-like person and make charms and tailsmens.

Each of  these will take plenty of time and resources, so while you can have charms and potions and armor, it would take a long time, and you'll be slower at gathering and crafting. This could incurage trade, specialization, and towns in servers as well, seeing that trying to get all things is impractical, a person who mines and make tools and such can trade for potions and charms from others, and people who make potions can buy their tools instead of wasting time trying to mine for metals and making them.

This could in turn incurage people to group up, with some mining, some growing herbs and making potions, some making charms, some farming, and so on.

Let me remind people that we play these games precisely because we don't find reality all that fun. If we did, we would be out enjoying reality, not playing Minecraft or its TFC varient.

Let me remind people that we play these games precisely because we don't find reality all that fun. If we did, we would be out enjoying reality, not playing Minecraft or its TFC varient.

Sometimes we do enjoy reality, but we don't have the resources, time, or money to preform such tasks. That is why some people may play games like TFC.

Sometimes we do enjoy reality, but we don't have the resources, time, or money to preform such tasks.

That's often one of the parts of reality people don't find fun. ;)

TerraFirma is about believability. Monsters are there for some challenge from my point of view, so you actually have to be careful. Magic would go too far, and remove the "Believability" aspect of this mod. You already can get some good armor from monsters anyway, that's a simple reason to go and "Fight rather than sleep". If you like magic, then this probably isn't the right mod for you.

Edit: I thought I was replying to someone... cant see their post anymore? uhhh...

Edit2: Thought I was replying to Pwnlord. First page, that's why I didn't see...

TerraFirma is about believability. Monsters are there for some challenge from my point of view, so you actually have to be careful. Magic would go too far, and remove the "Believability" aspect of this mod. You already can get some good armor from monsters anyway, that's a simple reason to go and "Fight rather than sleep". If you like magic, then this probably isn't the right mod for you.

Edit: I thought I was replying to someone... cant see their post anymore? uhhh...

Edit2: Thought I was replying to Pwnlord. First page, that's why I didn't see...

Well, I agree with the no magic to a point.

While I agree that magic stuff like spell casting and such does not fit in with this mod at all, Can't we have the little things like potion brewing and such? I mean, monsters, while 'magic'(fantasy, whatever) have a role in the game. So why cant we have things like potions and charms? The stone age/medieval age had lots of shaman/alchemists, etc that made potions and medicine and such, so I think having things like that can fit in with the mod, since while having a (somewhat) fantasy feel to it, it doesn't really feel out of place or magicky

---

For me, there isn't much difference between "Realism" and "Believability", according to my criteria. I stick to realism, and I really don't like zombies, creepers, skeletons, and such. I can believe in spiders if they were a bit smaller. Maybe all these monsters can be replaced for tigers, lions, bears actually are coded but I haven't seen any, snakes, mosquitoes (YES MOSQUITOES ARE A HELL), cocodiles, scorpions and other wild animals. You could also add food poisoning and worms for eating raw food, or other sicknesses. And it should actually be safer to get out for the night, because you can't tell me you can't make a campfire and rest exposed without dying. (At least here in Panama as long as you keep mosquitoes away, like with a fire).

To roughly quote Dunkleosteus on where the line is drawn between "Believability" and "Realism"

The thing about coding is that you often look at how something has to behave. You decide under what conditions it should behave a certain way and try to identify which cases are irrelevant to simplify the problem. For example: realistically, rocks picked up off the ground would only drop ore if they were ore, instead of scanning for ore when broken and deciding whether they should drop ore; the rocks would know from the start. However, because they can't be placed back on the ground, we can say that the rocks resolve their drop when broken. While that scenario is different than how real rocks would behave, they behave the same way for the specific situations which can occur in the game. If they had to remember if they were a placed stone or a generated stone, they'd have to store more data besides just the regular rock type (blocks have a very limited range of memory, so you really don't want to be storing too much data in them).

Basically, we smudge the definition of certain objects to simplify their behaviours.

I don't think anyone is talking about implementation details here, Kitty. In practice, it makes almost no difference whether or not rocks lying on the ground are pregenerated as ore or simply decide whether they are ore as they are picked off the ground, so far as the realism goes, because it's all randomly generated anyway — it may not be how real rocks work, but it doesn't matter because it would appear the same to us even if you used a more realistic modeling. So, I guess here "Believability" and "Realism" is a distinction without a difference.

I don't think anyone is talking about implementation details here, Kitty. In practice, it makes almost no difference whether or not rocks lying on the ground are pregenerated as ore or simply decide whether they are ore as they are picked off the ground, so far as the realism goes, because it's all randomly generated anyway — it may not be how real rocks work, but it doesn't matter because it would appear the same to us even if you used a more realistic modeling. So, I guess here "Believability" and "Realism" is a distinction without a difference.

You totally missed the the large italicized, underlined point of my post. The rocks was just one example of a simplified mechanic. In the majority of cases, the simplification during implementation is going to result in a different end product, that may not be "realistic", but has been simplified and balanced for a "believable" game-play. A better example of this was adding Tetrahedrite to the surface layer so that it would be easier to find copper early on. In "reality", Tetrahedrite doesn't spawn near the surface, but it is "believable" for players who do not have an extensive history in geology that hope to find copper sooner rather than later.

the hard focus on making the game entirely realistic is what caused it, as it is a great deviation from the initial goal of this mod, which was to make minecraft more believable, not realistic

believable meaning, if we can implement it in a way that logically makes sense and isn't making a sword by slapping two diamonds on a stick, then it would work with this mod.

but, we have sadly turned from this, and the focus has become "making this mod as exact to real life as we possibly can without making things hopelessly infuriating"

that, is why i have stopped, because this isn't the same mod that i played last year.

This is one of my larger fears... I feel like some of the initial ideas have been overshadowed by other changes. For one, I feel almost no reason to store wood in piles anymore, since the stuff stacks in my inventory to the same level that it sits in a pile... I just get what I need and use it. I loved it at first, when wood only stacked to 4 or so. It didn't make things excessively complicated, it just gave us a reason to stash our wood near our homes (aside from the ease of access benefits)