Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

10 posts in this topic

I am new to TerrafirmaCraft, so I know I might have a few misconceptions.. I did feel that I should share my first impressions. First, I have been looking for a better survival experience then what vanilla Minecraft offers. I became enamored with TFC, via the let's play series Icy and Friends Play: Terrafirmacraft. IcyNewYear, sold me on checking out TFC, his video's gave me a good idea what to expect. Although there have been a few things that still managed to surprise me. 

First the world feels so empty, there are hardly any animals. Nor do I find any preexisting structures. Compared games like "Don't Starve", the world feels so very barren.. It's been like a year and I have seen only like 4 pigs, and 3 chickens. I've traveled almost a kilometer around my homebase, I still haven't found any surface Bismuth, and only traces of Tin not enough to make a bronze anvil.  I have multiple mines that go deeper than level 60, and found Iron Ores and lots of copper and zinc. Yes, I have sluices; I am building a grid of sluices to check an area, for Bismuth. I even have underground sluices to look for Tin. 

While I enjoy the exploration aspect of the game, I do wish there was more to find then just more rocks.. 

Second, how on one hand the developers don't want exact numbers, but then give me a clock / calendar that tells me the exact time. I just find it odd.. that's all.  

Lastly, I am puzzled with the talk that this mod needs a combat revamp. What I wish for was roads that gave me a movement bonus, like in "Don't Starve". I have mines all over the place and no reason to build roads connecting them.. With the amount of travel end up doing. Would be godsent if I was a little bit faster on planks and cobblestone. 

There is a lot to the game that I really enjoy that I didn't talk about. I did want to start a discussion on these topics. I already see that finding ores has been discussed, and I am curious about the ore distribution. Soon I will be at the point where it's just not fun looking for ore that just doesn't seem to exists on my map.

I noted that you said you've only traveled a kilometer around your home-base. Honestly, since TFC is geared toward balancing for multiplayer and not singleplayer, it's actually very common to have to travel 10 kilometers to find everything you need to reach end game and obtain everything. 1 kilometer in TFC really isn't that large of an area.

As for the barren-ness of the world. The reason that you don't see any pre-existing structures are because players start in the stone age.. there weren't any other humans on the world before you generated it to make those structures. Once again this is why TFC is best played on multiplayer.. because you are the first civilization to become established. As for animals, it's like I said earlier in that you haven't traveled very far from your home base. I might also suggest waiting until summertime before exploring, as climate when the chunk is generated determines what animals will be there.

I might also suggest waiting until summertime before exploring, as climate when the chunk is generated determines what animals will be there.

I always wondered about this. I wasn't sure if it took an average temp/rain etc for the region first or if it went by the current state of the chunk. Very nice to know, it will help a lot.

Lastly, I am puzzled with the talk that this mod needs a combat revamp. What I wish for was roads that gave me a movement bonus, like in "Don't Starve". I have mines all over the place and no reason to build roads connecting them.. With the amount of travel end up doing. Would be godsent if I was a little bit faster on planks and cobblestone. 

When you have some vegetables and meat, try making some meals. If you are lucky, you will find the recipe for a speed effect.

As for the barren-ness of the world. The reason that you don't see any pre-existing structures are because players start in the stone age.. there weren't any other humans on the world before you generated it to make those structures. Once again this is why TFC is best played on multiplayer.. because you are the first civilization to become established. As for animals, it's like I said earlier in that you haven't traveled very far from your home base. I might also suggest waiting until summertime before exploring, as climate when the chunk is generated determines what animals will be there.

To me, a TFC map gets better as it matures, especially on Multiplayer. I remember once on my Roleplay server, we had been playing on hardcore. We would build towns, outposts, compounds/castles and walled cities. As players died, or a town was razed, or we ran from threats, ruins formed slowly throughout the server, really adding to the immersion.  

climate when the chunk is generated determines what animals will be there.

Does it? It shouldn't. That should be grabbing from the yearly climate temperature, not the current temperature.

Also, please don't give reasons as to why generated structures do not exist. (especially since we've been planning them for a while)

Does it? It shouldn't. That should be grabbing from the yearly climate temperature, not the current temperature.

Also, please don't give reasons as to why generated structures do not exist. (especially since we've been planning them for a while)

interesting :D ill have to hold you on that. haveing ruins to explore every 100km or so would be awesome

Yippee skipee! Your last several commits for build 78 look quite intriguing as well... Now if only we can get that 3D pottery you made that looked oh-so-awesome then build 78 looks like its shaping up to be the bee's knees! :P

But back to the topic of the OP....

I agree with Rhapsodyman2000, give it time and it'll grow on you. Everything in TFC is on a much grander scale. Things take time, even small things, but that only makes the sense of accomplishment seem that much greater when you finally do achieve whatever goal you've set for yourself. The scale of exploration is also huge in TFC. Each map is truly like it's own little world with arctic poles to the extreme North and South, plus a hot and desolate equator bordered by amazing tropical jungles and dotted with sandy islands. There's no way to get everything you need by staying put, that's for sure.

As for TFC being balanced for multi-player, while that is true, I still enjoy single player the way it is. Honestly that's how I first fell in love with TFC. Build 76 in single player was one of the best and wholly immersive experiences in Minecraft that I've ever had. While I enjoy the additions made to build 77, I personally feel it lost a little something early game. In build 76 it was much harder to get your first pick. At first that really frustrated me, after all, the defining tool of vanilla Minecraft is surely the pickaxe! But taking access to that away was one of the best things to do gameplay-wise. I spent many seasons in a wooden cabin by a large lake watching the ice slowly cover the water each winter and recede once the bright green of spring returned. I passed the time slowly making home improvements and curing leather while running a battery of sluices so I could scrape together enough metal to forge my first pick. By the time that happened I had a small little garden growing, a budding lemon tree, and a tiny pig farm with my first litter of delicious little bacon-bits on the way. By then I had become so accustomed to life above ground that my first venture underground felt so exciting and foreign. Stumbling upon my first basalt cave was a truly erie experience and finding my first huge vein of copper was pure exhilaration. Ahhh, the good old days... sigh... fond memories...

My point is that while TFC doesn't have any one right way to play it, it most certainly can't be played the same as vanilla Minecraft. Build 77 does seem barren at times, I agree, but once you get some livestock and start breeding that changes quite quickly! It helps to randomly breed animals in the wild around your base too. Gestation is slow but you get an entire litter after waiting rather than one big-headed little munchkin. After a little while you can really see the impact you've had on the world. All in all enjoy yourself and go slow. Explore the arctic and journey to the equator. There's so much to see and do, so why rush? There sure isn't any other mod quite like it.

TFC is more of a multi-player based game so, thats the loneliness. and pre existing structures.... thats not happening...I hope :o

May I suggest you play on a server?  Outside of the griefing I do feel the power of the mod comes out when you play along side many players, each showing their own skills or tactics, solving problems, protecting farms, and building cities.