Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
H4XX0R

List of new monsters

23 posts in this topic

Hey, this is my first time on this forum. I found myself getting rather bored with all the generic mobs in Vanilla Minecraft, so I started thinking up a few that I'd like to see in Minecraft. Since the suggestion thread was here, I thought I'd give small list of them with my thoughts on each one. If you like some of them, then you could try to implement the. (Sorry if I do something wrong here. It's very easy to do on your first post on a forum.)

• Demon
    • Basic suggestion, broad description of it, take it as you will.
    • May include lesser demons, or dungeon-specific boss demons.
    • Could find some way to insert it into this mod for whatever reason possible, but if the argument is too long, then can be forgotten.
  • Hellhound
    • Basically, a reskinned wolf with fire-touch.
    • Should be simple to build, and not difficult to implement.
    • Could be added for same reason as the demon.
    • Could also be dungeon-specific, but to make it a boss would be unreasonable.
  • Goblins
    • If a description is necessary, you might need to play more RPGs
    • There can always be more life in Minecraft. The addition of goblins could only be part of it.
    • May also include Goblin settlements, but that's a different suggestion altogether. Not asking that of you.
  • Shadow
    • Similar in shape to player, but pitch-black.
    • Instantly catches fire when on a block with a light level higher than {insert variable here; probably 8}
    • (Optional features) capable of moving up walls unless properly lit; likewise, may be able to move through walls if blocks have a light level of 1 or lower.
  • Chameleon (-like creature)
    • ​Only takes up one block
    • Able to camouflage itself to make it look like another block.
    • Shows real form when hit; can only deal damage in true form, but can still push you around.
  • Ghost
    • Translucent, white-tinted Steve with no legs.
    • Capable of climbing floating up walls and moving through walls.
    • Stops moving if in the player's vision.
    • Cannot go near blocks with light level {insert variable here; probably 8} or higher.

As I said, I have quite a few suggestions, and these are only a few of them that might make sense, and add some variety to the hostile mobs so you don't get bored fighting the same zombies, skeleton, and creepers over and over again like I have. If you like them, feel free to use them. If not, feel free to voice your reason, and perhaps find a way to make it work if possible.

i'm not sure about this suggestion. Though terrafirmacraft is a game of believably and not realism but I think it goes to much into the realm of fantasy. I do not support this topic

not to be rude, but have you even read any of the recent topics on these forums? Anything fantasy or the like is not going to be in TFC, they're sticking to things that could work in real life

although i'd love to see some things that could be considered super-natural in TFC, i can't say that the same goes for the dev's

just read up a bit more before posting things to make sure someone else hasn't said it or it doesn't fit with TFC

I agree with the others, this mod does need some realism. Adding these mobs would go too much into the fantasy side of things. Im not saying creepers and giant spiders are realistic though... xD

Ah, well then, perhaps the "Suggestion Thread Directory" should either be updated or unpinned, seeing that it is using outdated material, making itself outdated.

Though, remaining on the topic, I could at least see the ghost maintaining relevance in a world of skeleton and zombies. Truthfully, if we want believable, we would want to scrap the undead and enderman and make the threats things you would normally see, and that would normally be threatening, like wild bears (which I know are already implemented), rabid wolverines, etc., and, if you aren't apposed to not being the only human entity in Terrafirmacraft, bandits, robbers, and the like. Those would be the only truly believable enemies you would find. I understand, though, you are seeking a fine line between "realistic" and "believable." I, however, am having trouble seeing where that line is drawn, in this instance.

There has been talk of keeping the fantasy-esque mobs but moving them underground, and leaving the surface for wild animals to roam. I believe the mobs you suggested would be a really nice addition to the underground roster (specially the ghost and shadow).

I also fully support the addition of bandits and robbers to the surface - or else why do I even build a house?

I also fully support the addition of bandits and robbers to the surface - or else why do I even build a house?

To protect yourself from the weather, from heat and cold and wind. and to be protected from the wild animals that do their hunting at night

There has been talk of keeping the fantasy-esque mobs but moving them underground, and leaving the surface for wild animals to roam. I believe the mobs you suggested would be a really nice addition to the underground roster (specially the ghost and shadow).

Ah, now I'm starting to understand. Alright, in this case, we want more "wild animal" mobs, which would include the things like wolverines, hyenas, badgers, etc. Also, if unopposed, bandits, thieves, bounty-hunters, and other human entities. Save the more fantasy-like creatures for dungeon threats. In this case, we can scrap the chameleon-like thing and goblin (unless you want to include goblins amongst the bandits and other human enemies), allow the hellhounds to be deep, deep dungeon creatures, and the demons could be one-time-only boss creatures in specific dungeon rooms. The ghost and shadow might be an addition to the norm (skeleton, zombies, etc.) as is, since they are mere steps up from the already present mobs. 

As stated before, those mobs delve too far into fantasy in my opinion.

+1 to wild animals that hunt at night.

Maybe make them "friendly" at daytime, if you don't get to close them that is... They should also fear open fire...

Monsters should be restricted to underground caves if at all present in the "Overworld".

While I actually don't mind (and actually believe it would improve the game, meshing well with the mood) subtle, mystical undertones and nudge in fantasy direction such would provide, common stock hellhounds, goblins, demons and so on seem like something out of heroic fantasy genre - one that's a bit too extreme and blunt. Arguably though, so are undead we have now and those are planned to be moved underground rather than deleted completely so I would reconsider claims that the game is to be devoid of fantasy elements whatsoever.

Wild animals that'd attack player at night I believe are already part of the plans in connection to the above.

Other than that, I find ghost idea somewhat amusing, though in all honesty I'd rather turn into old-school folklore' will-o-wisp and make it a neutral, avoiding-player-by-default creature very rarely spawning in forests, jungles and swamps.

I'd rather go for fireflies than will-o-the-wisps, but have the fireflies just look like floating lights.

That way, if you want to feel the fantasy vibe, you can pretend that they are will-o-the-wisps or something.

Try to leave as much to the player's imagination as possible

Anyways, unless I'm wrong(totally possible), the reason that undead/monsters will go underground rather then away is because otherwise, underground will be much too safe.

I'd imagine that if we had a way to add sufficient dangers to the underground, the monsters would be gone for good.

These halloween/generic RPG monsters don't sound all that great to me, but I agree that TFC needs more life. At very least, vanilla mobs need re-written; skeletons do full damage even when firing fast at short range, zombie sieges make staying in one place near-impossible, and endermen explain themselves. There is a fine line between difficult and painful, and vanilla mobs sit right on the border. Really lookin' forward to the underground move, but what will be on the surface, to replace them?

I honestly hate the idea of magical monsters. I'm ok with religious magic or something, but monsters really kill the atmosphere of EVERY survival game.

I think survival games tend to have monsters for some very basic reasons.

1. Man vs. Nature doesn't sell well. If the game is too slow paced, people lose interest

2. Without monsters, late game survival has no challanges anymore. Monsters are a cheap way of always having some antagonistic element

3. A lot of survival games/movie/tv shows/ect. tend to have some kind of mystical element. This makes it more than just a survival situation, and gives incentives to explore. Mind you, a survival game doesn't need this to be fun, but it's an easy way to add another layer to your game.

Personally, I'm pretty neutral when it comes to monsters. However, I would criticize that zombies and skeletons are humanoids, which does kinda take away from the whole being alone thing. Where did this infinite supply of people who got turned into undead come from?