Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
H4XX0R

The Real Life or Just Fantasy

6 posts in this topic

After lurking moar on this forum, I've found there to be a large divide in how this mod should be run: The extreme realists who believe this mod should be an exact reflection of real life, and the "Believable" not "Realistic" group who want it to be Minecraft, but with tweeks to make it better and, truly, make sense.

Let's go ahead and say we want to please them both. Split the mod into two. Make one Realistic Terrafirma, the other Fantasy Terrafirma. Let the players decide how they think Minecraft should have been made, and go with it. Not only will this please everyone, but it will also open the door for much more possibility. For the Fantasy Terrafirma, more of an adventure feel could be given, while in Realistic, it would be more of a survival game. Both would have the important aspects that drove everyone to it (Enhanced Health, Hunger, and thirst, more metals, more... well, stuff in general), but one would be more based on, not necessarily magical, but fantasy-like elements, while the other drives more toward surviving on wild terrain, advancing into industry and machinery (I don't think that's actually in the current build, but it could be in Realistic Terrafirma).

I understand there may be some difficulty with the staff and building the mod a second time differently, and this may be the one thing that causes this to not happen. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a solution to that particular problem myself. Fortunately, I could probably speak for a few of the fans out there in saying we would be willing to join a team to redevelop this mod "as it should have been"

Who all agrees?

Honestly, I imagine the developers do not have enough time for such a feat.

They don't have time to make it single player friendly which has been an issue longer than realism vs believability, I doubt they will have time for this.

Honestly, I imagine the developers do not have enough time for such a feat.

As I stated above, I understand there would be a problem there. Which is why I said they could make new developers. Heck, once I familiarize myself with the mod-making material, I'd be willing to become a developer.

They don't have time to make it single player friendly which has been an issue longer than realism vs believability, I doubt they will have time for this.

What exactly do you mean by "single player friendly"? As far as I can see, the mod works great, as it should, and as envisioned. I find nothing wrong with the "single player friendliness".

The mod works in single player, but the game mechanics are designed for server play.

As I stated above, I understand there would be a problem there. Which is why I said they could make new developers. Heck, once I familiarize myself with the mod-making material, I'd be willing to become a developer.

It isn't quite that easy to just "become a developer." For a mod as large as TFC, you're going to need extensive modding knowledge, including being fluent in programming in Java. Even then, you're going to need to prove yourself to Bioxx and Dunk that you are good enough to be part of the team.

I suggest that you instead write an add-on for the mod that adds the fantasy components. That way it isn't part of the base game, you can write it as you see fit, and users have the decision of whether or not they want it installed.

As for being single-player friendly, the mod's gameplay has been balanced in such a way that it is meant to be played on a multi-player server. It is possible to play on single-player, but the game can quickly become grindy after hours and hours of mining and searching for specific materials instead of being able to divide tasks between multiple players.