Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pwnlord

Why do planks now require a saw, period?

14 posts in this topic

One can split lower-quality but functional planks with an axe just fine.

I'm going to just say what the devs would say, even though they need to revise the statement, as it isn't logical in my opinion. 

"TFC is going for believability, not realism"

While you could normally split logs into planks in real life, it doesn't work well for balancing to be capable of that, and it hurts the drive to improve. 

I would say though, this is a better statement, although longer. 

"TFC strives for realism where applicable, but more for balance and a well rounded structure"

I say that because believability is a synonym for realism. 

We were able to split logs with an axe before, we had MC health before, we had more storage space before, but things changed. It is for the sake of immersion, like said in the post above, that we make it this way. However, if you insist on using the old way, there are mods in the Addon section which will suit your needs.

It's not realism, it's punishing people for having the nerve to be unable to find metal.

It's expecting people to spend an in-game month not only collecting materiel for a pick and Prospector's Pick, but a saw as well.

If you found enough for a pick and prospectors pick, the saw should be easy. You know where you got the small ores from right? Use the pick and prospectors pick in that same area to dig up regular ores and make a saw.

Once you make a copper saw, even that one will last a very, very long time. So i think the new changes are OK. 

If you found enough for a pick and prospectors pick, the saw should be easy. You know where you got the small ores from right? Use the pick and prospectors pick in that same area to dig up regular ores and make a saw.

Once you make a copper saw, even that one will last a very, very long time. So i think the new changes are OK. 

The trouble is finding enough ore in the first place. Not to mention that copper itself is tricky to find-I stopped using a world a few versions ago because I had lots of Hematite and Cassiterite but NO copper of any kind.

If you're complaining about not being able to find metal, you're missing 90% of the gameplay in TFC. We chose to make planks only craftable with a saw to create a new stone age era which we plan to expand upon in the future. Neat wooden houses with beams and doors and all that didn't spring out of no where, first people lived in mud brick huts with thatched roofs. While it may be "realistic" to be able to craft crude planks with an axe, it wouldn't fit with the direction of the game play we would like the game to move in.

The game isn't in a finished state, and although it's been quite a while since we've released an update, we're slowly toiling behind the scenes to bring you new, expansive and more complete content, although things aren't progressing very quickly at the moment. Many current game features will be clearer in the future.

Maybe have the ability to still spilt logs, but it only produces crude planks, which can only be used to create rough things, like crates for storage.

Maybe have the ability to still spilt logs, but it only produces crude planks, which can only be used to create rough things, like crates for storage.

That doesn't fit with the time period either though... if it's going to feel like you're a stone age hunter-gatherer, you aren't going to walk through the doorless entrance to your hut to put stuff in your wooden crates.

I actually like the fact that for planks and all advanced woodwork you need metal first. It *is* interesting to live (for a little while) in huts made from straw and keeping stuff in clay pots instead of chests. Now, if there were straw/wicker baskets (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4475-t1-container-straw-basket/) it would be really pretty sufficient for the short stone age present in TFC.

As for metals, I never ever had issues. If you just run around, you are bound to find Tetrahedrite sooner or later (and if you find just one deposit, the small ores in stones should suffice for at leat 1 if not 2 ingots) as it occurs in every possible rock type, so it could be everywhere.

In fact, copper is extremely popular in TFC compared to reality, but I do see why it was adjusted in such a way.

I actually like the fact that for planks and all advanced woodwork you need metal first. It *is* interesting to live (for a little while) in huts made from straw and keeping stuff in clay pots instead of chests. Now, if there were straw/wicker baskets (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4475-t1-container-straw-basket/) it would be really pretty sufficient for the short stone age present in TFC.

As for metals, I never ever had issues. If you just run around, you are bound to find Tetrahedrite sooner or later (and if you find just one deposit, the small ores in stones should suffice for at leat 1 if not 2 ingots) as it occurs in every possible rock type, so it could be everywhere.

In fact, copper is extremely popular in TFC compared to reality, but I do see why it was adjusted in such a way.

To be honest, tetra shouldn't spawn on the surface, but because native copper only appears in igneous rocks, it would be an issue for early players if they had no access to metal. From what we've read, some of the earliest copper working was with chunks of native copper found on the ground. It seems nuggets like that were once very common. I'm not entirely sure where it all went, or if over a few thousand years people just found all of the easily obtained nuggets and used them. (probably a lot easier than mining it).

To be honest, tetra shouldn't spawn on the surface, but because native copper only appears in igneous rocks, it would be an issue for early players if they had no access to metal. From what we've read, some of the earliest copper working was with chunks of native copper found on the ground. It seems nuggets like that were once very common. I'm not entirely sure where it all went, or if over a few thousand years people just found all of the easily obtained nuggets and used them. (probably a lot easier than mining it).

Dunk, malachite can be found on surface. My father has a friend who owns a farm and its full of malachite nuggets everywhere. And no, it isn't rare. Malachite is as frequent as native copper.

Dunk, malachite can be found on surface. My father has a friend who owns a farm and its full of malachite nuggets everywhere. And no, it isn't rare. Malachite is as frequent as native copper.

Depends on the type of rock. It's found most commonly in limestone, but as with most ores, it requires a chemical reaction to be converted into useable copper metal. Native copper wasn't even melted, they could only heat it up a small amount, but at those low temperatures of a few hundred degrees C, they could cold work it into increasingly more complex shapes as they were able to heat it more and more.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0