Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turtletechy

New Cooking Methods

7 posts in this topic

I thinking that cooking, and general food preparation methods, are generally scarce. Some don't even make a particular amount of sense. I was considering that a few more ways to cook would be useful. 

Ovens

No more will you burn your hands and lose your dough trying to cook a loaf of bread over a campfire. Not only does it not make sense, it's inefficient. What if you want to cook the bread for your town, and find yourself taking ages to bake enough for a day? I have been thinking that another advantage to an oven could be like the forge, it can cook multiple at a time. I just don't think that open heat sources make much sense for baked goods. 

Smoking/Jerky Making + Salted Meats

I'm considering that when food spoilage comes along, you're going to want to preserve meats. That would typically be done by smoking the meat to turn it into jerky. You could also salt your meat, if you intend to eat it in a different manner, although it'd last a little less time. I'm considering that you'd evaporate salt out from ocean water, by either by creating shallow holding pools for evaporating salt (during times of bright and warm sunlight), or by heating ocean water over a firepit or forge, to evaporate the water out of the container you have it in. 

These are my ideas for now, but I'd encourage others to not only make comments on what I have said, but to also add their own ideas, more than anything. Making comments on something is one thing, but adding ideas is even more valuable. 

In the past with vanilla MC i have used the mods Pam's Harvest Craft & Hunger Overhaul.

With those mods it really is great from a cooking aspect.

You have to make tools for cooking like a pot, skillet, cutting board, bake ware.

Then after you get all of the tools made you have to prepare the meal and assemble them.

For Example: Cheese Burger requires you to make bread the slice the bread. then you need to cook the meat in a skillet, then you add the rest of the ingredients.

Basically it make a whole sub game to cooking making it more complex.

I would love to see the TFC Team take some inspiration from those mods. 

Basically it make a whole sub game to cooking making it more complex.

----

Not really. A raw stone block chiseled to the thinnest is all you need for frying and cutting. A metal or ceramic pot for soups, stews, and cheeses. Ceramic molds can double as bakeware if they're coated. For you example of the cheeseburger: bake the bread in a ceramic mold in a multi-block oven, a knife and bread in the crafting grid to slice it. you can cook the meat on the stone or grill or spit, not just a skillet.

On the topic of smoking and salting: Salt can also be made from certain woods like hickory. And resin-y woods can't be used for smoking; they have tarry smoke.

And bread: Id love to see more diversity in grain foods. sprouted grains, grain pastes, and more. Especially that the ability to eat uncooked grain should be deleted. we can't digest it raw toasting or sprouting, at least, by soaking in a barrel of water of toasting on a flat stone. cooking dough without an oven, on a the flat stone, for example, should give flatbread, which loses nutritional value after it gets cold (it just gets unpalatable IRL). A proper oven gives the bread we're accustomed to today. and make it a multi-block structure, to allow for more bread baked at once.

+1 for some type of oven, be it made of metal or chiseled stone. Perhaps you could even make a pig iron pot with lid and place it on a fireplace to use it as a dutch oven for basic breadmaking, and later on you could make a larger container and place it over a forge to bake many pieces at once.

I was more just thinking a standard stone oven like what has been popular in Europe for years and years. 

Like this:

Posted Image

You don't need anything fancy, you just need to carve it out of the stone, or make it from brick. In either case, the heat transfers through the rock (it's typically rather thin) to allow it to cook the food. You can also have designs in which you have a metal rack, which transfers more heat, but also more smoke. My idea was that this would accomodate for large amounts of bread or other baked goods to be produced at once, and it'd make sense. Requiring metal to be found, for that matter, iron to be found, seems a little unnecessary. All you need is stone. 

Guys, there is no reason to discuss this as long as there is only one variable that food has : hunger.

To make complex mechanics work, you need more variables than one. Spoilage, quality, nutrient values are the ones that come to mind right away. Only after adding few more variables food can affect you can justify more complex and deep cooking mechanics. And if you add those variables, the various ways to cook and prepare food will become clearly apparent.

Yeah. There is mechanics that adds special effect to food, but that is too random and you can just fine live without it.

I think that at this point, it would be better to invest into the basics before we get to the complex. We don't really have prospective yet of how difficult or balanced features like spoilage, nutrients, and quality. I don't want TFC to become like the Sims, were you spend all your time filling meters.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0