Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Healshot

How about a Fantasy Fork of TFC?

20 posts in this topic

I was thinking of this for along time, I have been playing tfc since 1.4.7 and had a great thought.

What would be great is a Fantasy Fork of TFC.

It would closely follow some of the ideas from another great game Wurm Online.

The greatest thing about Wurm was the fact it had its roots in realism and complexity, just like TFC.

When I play TFC it reminds me a lot of Wurm with how a lot of things function.

So in conclusion what do you think about maybe having a fantasy fork of TFC. 

Well its official from IRC:

<Kittychanley> HealShot, there will never be an official fantasy fork of TFC, but you or anyone else is welcome to write a fantasy addon"

Do you people even read the forums or FAQ before posting? We all know this already.

it could have all sorts of things, like magical food that lets you breath underwater and zombies and skeletons and really tall teleporting guys

it could have all sorts of things, like magical food that lets you breath underwater and zombies and skeletons and really tall teleporting guys

///

That is the problem: how is all of that believable? Magical food that allows one to breath underwater, zombies (actually, that could be a possibility, due to recent studies), skeletons, and Enderman (well, to be honest, maybe we could confine them another dimension)? The vanilla hostiles are to be confined underground, at one point, but magical food? I am afraid that idea will not be making to TFC.

Most fantasy aspects are very much unbelievable, so expect most of them being thrown out of the window, Tsuarok.

Wait...I think he means meals by magical food. Those are in TFC. Although I do think I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

He meant by "magical" meals that allow one to breath underwater, and I am fairly sure that there is not anything believable, in that.

I agree. But they are already in TFC and from what I understand, you're saying they won't get into TFC.

Actually, now that I think about it better, I think he meant by a new type of meal recipe in which, if made, it can allow one to breath underwater, if consumed.

Yeah, This would be more geared to be an addon rather than a Fork

I'll see if i can get a small team and get this addon to come to life but no promises

I have no Java Coding skill but, I'm slowly learning.

An addon for this would definitely be better, I don't think the developers would have enough time to totally rework the mod into a second mod, and continue to update both the classic TFC and the fantasy TFC. I do appreciate that you didn't suggest fantasy should be added directly to the vanilla TFC though.

If you pull this team together, and actually make this addon, I'm sure you will receive grand applause from both me, and those who want magic in TFC. Fortunately for you, it will not be as tough as converting a fantasy to a believable version though, because building on a concrete idea is much easier than taking away the origin foundation idea of something.

Actually, now that I think about it better, I think he meant by a new type of meal recipe in which, if made, it can allow one to breath underwater, if consumed.

There is already a TFC meal recipe that allows underwater breathing.  I was trying to be ironic.  Hopefully I didn't come off as caustic.

Yeah, This would be more geared to be an addon rather than a Fork

I'll see if i can get a small team and get this addon to come to life but no promises

I have no Java Coding skill but, I'm slowly learning.

I'd go for a thaumcraft (or whichever is your fav) compatibility mod rather than try to make one from scratch.  There's some great stuff already out there to work from.

I'd go for a thaumcraft (or whichever is your fav) compatibility mod rather than try to make one from scratch.  There's some great stuff already out there to work from.

Yeah im not trying to get into to much magic i want the game to still make you earn things so if i do add magic it would be very limited and you have to work hard for it.

There is already a TFC meal recipe that allows underwater breathing.  I was trying to be ironic.  Hopefully I didn't come off as caustic.

///

Seriously? There is?

///

Seriously? There is?

Yeah. like Tsu said. That's why I was so confused and was misunderstanding you.

Please no fantasy or magic in TFC. That is already covered very very well in Thaumcraft, Ars Magica 2, Feed the Beast Magic World 2, etc. etc.

At the risk of causing controversy, I actually wouldn't mind some light undertones of magic, but I'd want it to be done well, with subtle workings and features meshing well with the background and survival, rather than clubbing me over the head with all kinds of heroic fantasy over-the-top stuff (that's why I actually am not an eager Thaumcraft player despite it's varied features). In fact, delicate esoteric themes that don't translate directly into buffs, fireballs and boni would very much befit prehistoric and ancient survivalist and could enrich the game.

Some examples of what I possibly wouldn't mind were mentioned in trinkets suggestion thread. Those who play a roguelike called UnReal World (quite a decent game though with a steep learning curve and more hardcore, unforgiving survival than what we have here) can probably attest that fantasy elements may be done well and fit realistic themes, as well - with the world more realistic than TFC one, there are also elements of religion, topic of place of men in the nature etc mostly realized through vague favor of gods and rituals for help in mundane things like safe sleep, luck in hunting and so on.

However, in regards to the main point of the topic, I don't really expect or want typical fantasy TFC. Especially because I believe it'd be turned into heroic fantasy fare as most of such kind of mods tend to be.

I'm with you. while I wouldn't like things like slinging fireballs or summoning monsters or having magic armor and whatnot, I would like some subtle things that are believable, to an extent.

things like a incense burner that might give small buffs in a area when fuel with wood and incense.

Brewing potions and tea, making salves and such using herbs found in nature.

Charms and talismans that give small, nearly unnoticeable effects, such as a slight chance(maybe like 10%) to gain ore of one quality higher from the ore block(say, get a normal ore from a poor ore vein), or a small chance to get another seed when harvesting plants, getting say, a 20oz more meat from an animal, etc.