Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rev

Metal Recycling and oxide bi-products

8 posts in this topic

Synopsis:

I am a foundry worker myself, and I've melted most TFC metal in real life so I have a good feel around how they really are.  But here is the thing, lets say you have a picaxe and it breaks, You should be able to take the remains of that broken picaxe and remelt it down and retrieve the metal! oh that  sounds glorious :lol:  :D happy face yay

But :huh: wait.... that's OP... darn :( Wait don't worry This guy has a solution. :lol: Here it is:

How it works:

MOST metals react to oxygen but in TFC all the metals react to oxygen at certain levels, what I mean some "Rust" or "Oxidize" faster than others "Excluding Gold, Platinum and Rose Gold they don't oxidize" Bismuth, bismuth Bronze, Brass, and Bronze (certain kinds of bronzes and brasses)  They oxidize slowly but they still tarnish over time in water or air.

Anyways when you melt hmmm lets say zinc.  Zinc forms a thick oxide layer which is called "dross" when its molten and flashes a bright green white light. and when that happens you lose some marital.  This is how it works-

The more surface area you have on molten or cold metal the faster it oxidizes,  thus more marital you loose.  again this is "dross" which is basically trash its just oxide. But certain oxides can be used. but Ill get to that later... The only way to prevent metal oxidation is to melt it in a oxygen free environment.  which is impossible in TFC HA! > :)

Flux:

As you know what flux is in TFC its also used to keep metal from oxidizing when melting metal, Wax is used for low melting metals, Then Borax for mid range and Limestone for Hot metals (Iron) but even with flux you still loose metal.

Drop off Rate:

Ok lets see.  When you re-melt metal it should have a certain percentage drop off rate, to each respective metal.  wrought Iron-35-50% Drop off rate.  Fluxed-15-20% Drop rate. and etc with other metals but they would be different.  This excludes Gold, Rose Gold, and Platinum"

Oxide:

oxide is a bi-product from metal melting or can be found in nature,  oxides have uses depending on the type as well. hey yay So all the "lost" metal can be used in diffrent things?  :lol:  well no not really sorry... :(  well I mean most of them cant...  

I only agree with the metal recycling here. TFC would be too hard if oxide was in.

Yeah I know, The oxide was a last minute idea, you could even say it was Half-asses hahaha

Don't worry, I'm not a rude ass :P

Iron Oxide is very vague, all of the TFC Iron ores are either Oxide or Hydroxide. Hematite is Red and Black. Limonite is Yellow, Orange, and Brown. Sphalerite is a sulfide not an Oxide (Zincite is however is an oxide) and the nickel ore is a silicate.

Iron Oxide is very vague, all of the TFC Iron ores are either Oxide or Hydroxide. Hematite is Red, Orange, and Brown. Limonite is the same but Yellow replacing Red. Sphalerite is a sulfide not an Oxide (Smithsonite is however is an oxide) and the nickel ore is a hydroxide.

Thanks for the info.

Im disappointed that this topic didn't get attention...

I like the recycling metal Idea, getting back 30, 40% of a tool metal would be awesome!

You have to consider that heavy work tools like pickaxes, shovels, axes and swords have to be constantly sharpened and actually loose most of metal this way, if you think this trough, maybe 10-25% rate of recovery is the deal, you melt just the last unusable part of metal in the tool

Posted Image

And this is a nearly finished hoe!