Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Hey! Why no to NPCs?

27 posts in this topic

I saw in one of the three first topics in the Suggestions section that Bioxx said "None of your ideas is good enough for me to add NPCs".

According to my lookout in the forums, and with my own reasoning, I saw four main possible causes of that comment:

-Hard coding

-Making the village know what type of stone/wood structures it should generate according to the surrounding area's resources (For example: You can't have a limestone stone village while there is no natural limestone around).

-The game was made to be played in multiplayer rather than singleplayer

-They want you to grow your own tribe alone without "spoiling" the gameplay by buying goods from the villagers (For example: buying iron from a villager while being on stone age).

Even if I may have an idea on why no to NPCs, I'll like to know the true reason on why the developers said no to NPCs, as I'm not really sure. As a RP lover, I felt hurt when I saw that comment of Bioxx.

Unfortunately, we won't be seeing NPCs in TerraFirmaCraft. Ever. Because there is a good chance that players will be more reliant on NPCs to the point where they can just relax and let the NPCs do all of their work. Personally, I know little of the NPCs not being allowed subject, but I imagine this would be the case.

Iunno, ever thought of considering that just maybe the dev's just don't like NPCs?

like seriously, this is Bioxx/Dunk's mod, if they don't want something to be in the mod, they honestly don't need any reason other than they just dont want to put it in their mod.

As a RP lover, I felt hurt when I saw that comment of Bioxx.

Upon seeing that last bit of text, I was rather surprised. TerraFirmaCraft is not meant to be a role-playing game, it's intentions were to be a revamp and total conversion of Minecraft's Survival Mode, making the mode into more of a simulator than a "Creative Mode on Hardcore".

If you wish to have NPCs in the game for the purposes of roleplaying, then it is either that you create an Add-On for that purpose, or wait for someone to actually do it. I would choose the former, if I were you.

I think all the fourm members need to see this post haha.  but I think there should be a list of things that wont be added on TFC on the discussion page for people to reference.

Iunno, ever thought of considering that just maybe the dev's just don't like NPCs?

like seriously, this is Bioxx/Dunk's mod, if they don't want something to be in the mod, they honestly don't need any reason other than they just dont want to put it in their mod.

yes

Upon seeing that last bit of text, I was rather surprised. TerraFirmaCraft is not meant to be a role-playing game, it's intentions were to be a revamp and total conversion of Minecraft's Survival Mode, making the mode into more of a simulator than a "Creative Mode on Hardcore".

If you wish to have NPCs in the game for the purposes of roleplaying, then it is either that you create an Add-On for that purpose, or wait for someone to actually do it. I would choose the former, if I were you.

I don't know how to code java :(

Then you either learn Java or do not learn Java. It's actually one of the most simple object-oriented languages there is, and there are countless sources on how to code a modification for Minecraft.

I don't know how to code java :(

Then you either learn Java or do not learn Java. It's actually one of the most simple object-oriented languages there is, and there are countless sources on how to code a modification for Minecraft.

-----

It does not require a perfect understanding of java to make minecraft mod.

From personal experience i would say that if you really want to make a mod you can.

(if you plan to learn java as making a mod i suggest that you start small) 

Here, this post is more helpful than I am really being, at the moment. So, take his advice, as I am pulling some facts about Java from memory (some of which may be wrong or warped).

I don't know exactly but i assume that they want to focus their attention to making the survival part really good.  I know that they are also working on compatibility with other mods, so presumably any RPG elements should come from other sources.  Which is a good direction in my opinion.  Some who want a great survival game will, like you, also want RPG elements.  But putting them in the mod would force them on others who may not be so inclined.  The best solution is to improve compatibility allowing everyone to select their own preferred style.  Ideally you should be able to play a tale of kingdoms or millenaire/TFC hybrid game, though the technical issues are tough.

The point is, letting the survival team work on survival and compatibility, and the RPG team work on RPG and compatibility will lead to the most flexible game, tailored to the tastes of the individual.

Personally I want Millenaire/TFC/Thaumcraft, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they did add NPC's they would very likely be spear carrying headhunters trying to kill and eat us.  You know, just to replace the zombies and skellies.  

(And I too love Millenaire but that is a different type of game - Civilization vs. Survival). 

I don't know exactly but i assume that they want to focus their attention to making the survival part really good.  I know that they are also working on compatibility with other mods, so presumably any RPG elements should come from other sources.  Which is a good direction in my opinion.  Some who want a great survival game will, like you, also want RPG elements.  But putting them in the mod would force them on others who may not be so inclined.  The best solution is to improve compatibility allowing everyone to select their own preferred style.  Ideally you should be able to play a tale of kingdoms or millenaire/TFC hybrid game, though the technical issues are tough.

The point is, letting the survival team work on survival and compatibility, and the RPG team work on RPG and compatibility will lead to the most flexible game, tailored to the tastes of the individual.

Personally I want Millenaire/TFC/Thaumcraft, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good point

Because there is a good chance that players will be more reliant on NPCs to the point where they can just relax and let the NPCs do all of their work.

You've obviously never tried to trade with vanilla squidwards. :)

Seriously, getting an NPC village to the point where you could just live off the work of the NPCs is a challenging engineering task in itself. I won't bore you with the details, but the skinny is that, if you get a village to where you could live off the villagers, you deserve to live off the villagers.

Quite frankly, the "NO NPCs" comment —as well as "You're not going to be good at everything"— really only holds water for SMP, because if you're playing SSP, you very much have to be good at everything. It always seemed to me that, if SSP was going to be supported in TFC, then having NPCs could cover your own deficiencies. Can't forge swords well? No problem! Just go to the nearest village and trade for one — for a price.

Frankly, Bioxx needs to make a clear statement whether or not he is balancing TFC for SMP only. It would clear up a lot of confusion.

Frankly, Bioxx needs to make a clear statement whether or not he is balancing TFC for SMP only. It would clear up a lot of confusion.

I'm fairly certain that Dunk has already made this statement. If you insist, I can search through the logs and find the exact post.

You've obviously never tried to trade with vanilla squidwards. :)

I did trade with the vanilla Squidwards, previously. I never really relied a whole lot on the vanilla trading, though, since I am somehow lucky enough to find some iron ore and wood in the few vanilla games I have played (and the fact I didn't take the vanilla trading system into consideration when I made that post).

kittychanley, maybe it'd be a good idea to have some sort of sticky post in suggestions and general including some 'basic' information which otherwise falls into the depths of the forums, like which general ideas are already 100% denied and

kittychanley, maybe it'd be a good idea to have some sort of sticky post in suggestions and general including some 'basic' information which otherwise falls into the depths of the forums, like which general ideas are already 100% denied and

Great idea. Also, Kitty, if you edit one of the stickied posts, you may want to bump it as well. Many people never re-read old threads unless there is a new post and simply editing it won't make it show up as having new material. This is the downside of the FAQ as well, you can never tell when you need to go over it again for new "no-no" topics and other things.

I did trade with the vanilla Squidwards, previously. I never really relied a whole lot on the vanilla trading, though, since I am somehow lucky enough to find some iron ore and wood in the few vanilla games I have played (and the fact I didn't take the vanilla trading system into consideration when I made that post).

In vanilla, iron ore and wood are freaking everywhere. It would be unusual if you didn't find iron, actually.

You're speaking to someone who hasn't played vanilla for a month or two, so pretty much I'm not really surprised I get an answer such as yours.

I thought mods were written in Python?

I thought mods were written in Python?

Nope, all of Minecraft, including mods are written in Java.

Nope, all of Minecraft, including mods are written in Java.

I thought Python was used for Java and HTML.

I thought Python was used for Java and HTML.

Nope, Python is its own separate programming language.