Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Elso_Valager

Curious questions regarding smithing?

17 posts in this topic

Now forgive me if this question has already been answered and I'm barking up the wrong tree, I poked through a few pages and didn't find anyone else asking this so I thought I'd post my own.

So, my little server has now advanced to the point where we can actually make and use anvils, or I can, at least, which is good enough for me, and I began to heat my first Copper bar for hammering into something more workable. Despite trying to follow what it said on the wiki, I rather violently screwed up (I can only assume the bar more resembles a lumpy pillow instead of a sophisticated bar of hot metal), and am now left with a bar that claims it 'has been worked'.

So, while I'm fine with accepting I messed up and trying again with another bar, I'm rather curious.. What can I do with my ugly-duckling bar I have here? Is there any way I can make it into something that is actually useful?

Tool plans are required in order to actually create metal tools. You need squid ink from ink sacs and paper in order to create the plans, and in order to create plans, you will need to create a special block called the "Scribing Table". All of this can be found on the TFC Wiki.

The problem I'm having is that I'm stuck with bronze tools and leather armor, even though I'm collecting iron and using my bloomery. Why? One. Stinking. Feather. I need a feather to make a scribing table to make plans. Feathers require chickens, which don't exist in my current world. I've seen the rare chicken before in other worlds I've played, and on the other hand this is the first world I've played where I've found sheep (first beds!) But I'm stuck without a feather.

Also, to work metal you need to have the same tier of anvil: To make copper sheets you need a copper anvil, bronze sheets (bloomery) on a bronze anvil, etc.

Until more types of birds are added into TFC, I am afraid that you will have to continue to hunt for chickens, Neurovore.

Yes, I already have plans reflecting what I want to make, I just messed up the shaping process. What do I do with the bar I messed up?

Melt the bar in the forge and rework it back into a bar: that's how you can fix screw-ups, as far as I can tell.

You can continue to work the bar as long as it remains at the right temperature. Just don't make the arrow go off the side of the GUI or the ingot will be destroyed. All you need to do is use the recipe on the plans to make the arrows line up, even if you make a mistake you can still move the arrow back into position using the different actions.

As Sda209 said, if you think you've actually borked the whole thing and the bar cannot be salvaged, melt it in the forge by putting a ceramic mold in one of the side slots and then you can make a new ingot and start over.

As Sda209 said, if you think you've actually borked the whole thing and the bar cannot be salvaged, melt it in the forge by putting a ceramic mold in one of the side slots and then you can make a new ingot and start over.

How can it not be salvaged?

How can it not be salvaged?

For players that are new to the smithing mechanics, working an ingot with the "starting" point being super far to one direction can be a very daunting task. In this case, it may be simpler for them to just melt the ingot and start fresh so that they have more room to figure out the mechanic for themselves.

The problem I'm having is that I'm stuck with bronze tools and leather armor, even though I'm collecting iron and using my bloomery. Why? One. Stinking. Feather. I need a feather to make a scribing table to make plans. Feathers require chickens, which don't exist in my current world. I've seen the rare chicken before in other worlds I've played, and on the other hand this is the first world I've played where I've found sheep (first beds!) But I'm stuck without a feather.

Also, to work metal you need to have the same tier of anvil: To make copper sheets you need a copper anvil, bronze sheets (bloomery) on a bronze anvil, etc.

If this helps you, chickens spawn mostly in temperate forests and jungles

If this helps you, chickens spawn mostly in temperate forests and jungles

The problem I have is that I tend to always spawn in the equivalent of Iceland.

wha? Explain please. It can be difficult to test code to make sure it works. It seemed to work correctly, but if my logic was wrong and they are spawning where they shouldn't it would be good to know. Knowing what goes wrong helps me find what I've done wrong.

I have a quick smithing question: Is there a reason I can't reheat a ceramic vessel full of copper in a forge?  Do I have to use a pit kiln?

wha? Explain please. It can be difficult to test code to make sure it works. It seemed to work correctly, but if my logic was wrong and they are spawning where they shouldn't it would be good to know. Knowing what goes wrong helps me find what I've done wrong.

I think he means that he is spawning in colder regions, not the chickens. So he doesn't want to make the trek out of the tundra to warmer climates to find them.

I think he means that he is spawning in colder regions, not the chickens. So he doesn't want to make the trek out of the tundra to warmer climates to find them.

Sometimes my dyslexia messes me up T-T

How many new worlds did you generate to convince yourself of this? I have spawned near the 'equator' before (within Z = +/- 4000).