Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vaelkyri

3d models, yay, nay, addons?

14 posts in this topic

To save necroing up posts 6+ months old figured I start a new discussion purely on the possibility of 3d models- namely for objects such as the Firepit and Pottery items.

Current state of affairs- 

Is it possible? Yes-(at least so I understand)

Is it needed? Not really, the current system works

Is it worthwhile? Personal preference, In my opinion the fidelity of a mod greatly enhances the immersion and believeability - looking at the quality of mods such as Ars Magica, Thuamcraft, even the little know Witchery mod the detailed models implemented for blocks and objects puts TFCs spinning sprites to shame.

Pros: Increased fidelity, higher quality and more immersive experience. 

Cons: possibly some performance issues, Bioxx reportedly (according to Dunk) doesnt want them.(?)

(personal note: the fact that things like ingot piles are modeled and other objects are sprites creates a very jarring discontinuity) 

That said- if they wouldn't go into base mod due to the creators dislike, would modelers and modders be interested in creating an addon to convert the entities into .obj's ? 

I like the current pottery, even through sadly it becomes invisible from above. Sadly, I don't care about a 3D firepit neither... but well, well see

I'd definitely like it, but, I'd like more content focus better.  Or compatibility focus, as that provides more content and some 3d models.

I coded 3D pots before pottery was even really complete last summer but they were vetoed. I've posted the link a lot, but since it's relevant, I can do it again:

Posted Image

This is actually a really old image and the code is much more up to date now and handles a lot better. Pretty dynamic too, you can do a lot with it. In this image, all I've done is switched out the ingot model for this pottery model, which is why the pot is the colour of an iron ingot, and why there are ingots on my hotbar.

As far as lag, I was messing around with different shapes and i only noticed lag on my laptop when I had full (64) stacks of ingot-pots each with 100 layers. (The pots are created by specifying layers, which are then rendered with 8 faces for each space between two layers. The pot in the image has 7 layers) which would be roughly the same as having 224 full pottery blocks on your screen at once (64 pots in a block with 100 layers vs 4 pots in a block with 7 layers = 16 times the number of pots with 14 times the number of layers = 14 x 16 = 224). Just some math for anyone who wanted it.

Fire pit hasn't been attempted for 3d rendering. Personally, i kind of like them the way they are.

The 3D pots look nice. Definitely sits better with the feel of everything else.

I'd prefer a blockier version - or at least, I'd prefer the current system without spinning - they would simply face the player wherever they plonk it down.

Fire pit hasn't been attempted for 3d rendering. Personally, i kind of like them the way they are.

I did ;)

Posted Image

I do like the idea of stuff being 3-D and realistic/believable but I suffer from serious performance issues so I don't think that want this,

I did ;)

Posted Image

Wait? did you model that for yourself?

If so, good job.

ah but emris... I couldn't leave it like that... it would have to visually represent the logs correctly by colour and number...

actually, send me that model and your rendering.

Soo, any chance of getting an addon pack assembled with the models? :P (notice the ladders have depth as well)

as for the logs being fully accurate, that was the level of pedantry that killed the idea last time :(

ah but emris... I couldn't leave it like that... it would have to visually represent the logs correctly by colour and number.....

i think i already did that .. will have to find my branch where the code is to verify

and i added log updating to represent the logs in the firepit .. like this .. only one log in there :)

Posted Image

.. and the model needs to be a bit better, imo :)

The rest of my 3D fun can be found here -> http://mrzack.pc-net.at/tfc/3d/

I love those models, and i would love an addon too ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0