Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaoloEmilio

What about a big battle between TFC players?

18 posts in this topic

You know, thinking about the fact that in next build horses are coming, TFC and Extrafirma have a huge variety of weapons, plus my likes to RPG (Role Playing Games) and RTS (Real Time Strategy) games, I tought on making a special tournament, between TFC players, kinda battles of 5 and 5, 10 and 10 players and such. Maybe hosting them on one of our variety of servers, having someone to record the battles and get them to youtube. I tought this could also help raising the popularity of the mod, I don't know if it would help, but it would be worth to try it? Some ideas are:

-Use steel armor and wrought iron/bronze tools, this way the fight won't end too quickly

-Horses are optional

-Maybe some "classes" per group (all must be the same), like:

_Mongol horseman: Horse (mandatory :P), bow, dagger, leather armor

_Sarracen mameluke: Horse (optional), leather/bronze/iron armor, bow/javelins and sword/dagger

_European knight: If in Horse, steel armor, sword/mace, if in infantry, steel armor, halberd/sword/mace OR In infantry: crossbow/bow dagger for archer

_Viking raider: leather/steel armor, mace/sword, axe/hammer (minor weapon)

_Indian warrior: Maybe horse (after the white men reached the New World, apache, sioux and other plain indians used them) Either copper or bronze (incas used bismuth bronze) in weapons, and no armor (won't last much :(, but to even the odds two peps from the other side must switch, to give them their typical number advantage) no sword, but maces, knives, bows, and stone weapons, like stone axes, knives and javelins. Not a highly reccomended faction, but to take America in count :P

_African hunter: Either iron or bronze (they had ironworking learnt thanks to Roman influence  ;) ) daggers, bows, and stone knives, axes and javelins, maybe use of horses.

_Japanese samurai: If in horse, bow and sword (to use as katana :P ) if in infantry, sword, javelins and both either horseback or infantry can use bronze, steel or leather armor.

-You can make a fort for one faction to tell it's "defensive" or to give it fun, make two fortresses with the theme of each culture. May be a bit boring and tedious. For the Mongols, some straw tents surrounded by a palisade. For the Sarracens, an arab like fort. For the Europeans, a small castle. For the Vikings a mead hall, or even longboat :lol:. For the Indians maybe an Aztec pyramid, or if you feel like building, the whole Machu Picchu :P, or maybe just a couple tipis (Poor indians are so weak :(). For the africans, adobe/straw houses surrounded by adobe/mud walls. (Extrafirma, remember). For the Japanese, a japanese castle/fortress.

-Don't complain about the excessive faces, I'm very excited about this and my emotions can vary, and I like history so you wonder...

Hope this is helpful/funny to the TFC community, comment what you think!

:lol:

Sadly, I don't think this is possible due to the Law of Sequoias which says that if you get 10 people on a TFC server at once it will crash soon after due to sequoias. Even if the server restarts within 60 seconds, one of those 10 people is bound to wander away and find something else to do.

It is confirmed that this sequoia bug crap is fixed for next build

This sounds cool because it could tie into my suggestion of a better combat system and better horse controls

(just to say the weapons would come from my suggestion because Extrafirma only has two weapons)

Oh and there would be walls to keep people from walking away.

Oh and samurai did not use throwing spears they either used there katana, wakizashi(smaller version), naginata, yumi bow, or there bear hands (I should know because i'm Japanese) (half-Japanese) (half-German)

Nice, sorry for that, I meant the javelin to emulate the naginata, but halberd could be. And the shoku, bear hands aren't coded, so I suppose those wont be in :( . And regarding Extrafirma, it has three weapons, crossbow, dagger and halberd. I like the three of them. They seem very suitable with the original TFC weapons. Regarding the walls so no one escapes, they can climb out thanks to smartmoving/placing dirt or gravel. To solve that, there is a simple solution. Every player that leaves the walls "deserted" the battlefield, meaning that they can't play anymore. Anyways thanks for your ideas. Keep posting!

You just basically posted a much more detailed version of a suggested experiment to see how well vanilla players can play in TFC :o. And Corki, there is already discussion on a better combat system, in the Combat Opinion Poll thread on the Suggestion(?) forum.

All joking and telling aside, even if the sequoia bug is fixed, this suggestion is putting TFC under a bad light. What I mean by 'bad' is that the tournament is more focused on gladiator-styled, team-based games than actual survival. "Survival Mode as it should've been," that right there is the main objective of this mod: to make the Survival Mode in Minecraft better and make it feel like you're actually surviving.

Proposing a gladiator-style, team-based tournament, on the other hand, to promote will give many viewers the impression that TerraFirmaCraft is another RPG and better combat mod, not a survival mod. I doubt everyone reads the entire video description tab, these days, if you think that putting it there will solve problems. And the annotations might be more annoying than helpful, since explaining TFC will require a bit of explaining than a few simple words.

In other words, while having a fighting tournament to promote TFC is fun and good, we might give viewers a wrong impression of the mod.

Hmmm... you are right, Sda. How about giving players the task of smithing their own tools and building their own forts before PVPing? If building takes too much, the video can be fastened. Or maybe do what I don't like much... a hunger games survival tournament. If we take this alternative, factions are gone, unless the hunger games can be done in teams.

Something like a Hunger Games survival tournament, with teams, that's sound.

Hmmm... you are right, Sda. How about giving players the task of smithing their own tools and building their own forts before PVPing? If building takes too much, the video can be fastened. Or maybe do what I don't like much... a hunger games survival tournament. If we take this alternative, factions are gone, unless the hunger games can be done in teams.

How about a pre-build base, with some base tools(just to skip the stone age) for each team?

There can be 'neutral' forts manned by mobs(zombies, skeletons, etc) that you can capture for loot as well.

So to get resources, they'd have to 'conquer' the neutral forts, or mine/farm themselves

They can have some time to gather resources and build more defenses, but once the time is up, pvping starts.

you have 3 lives, and once everyone in a team is dead, the team is 'conquered', allowing access to all items they had

Something like a Hunger Games survival tournament, with teams, that's sound.

How about a pre-build base, with some base tools(just to skip the stone age) for each team?

There can be 'neutral' forts manned by mobs(zombies, skeletons, etc) that you can capture for loot as well.

So to get resources, they'd have to 'conquer' the neutral forts, or mine/farm themselves

They can have some time to gather resources and build more defenses, but once the time is up, pvping starts.

you have 3 lives, and once everyone in a team is dead, the team is 'conquered', allowing access to all items they had

Love your ideas, but what I expected is a large battle. So, to solve this, we just gather all the peps from a team in one place (main fort possibly) and so, massive battle begins!

Love your ideas, but what I expected is a large battle. So, to solve this, we just gather all the peps from a team in one place (main fort possibly) and so, massive battle begins!

So get a bunch of people, and make them fight?

Hmm, how about an game where a team has to hold an certain item for a set amount of time?

Not only will the players be trying to kill the other team, they'll be trying to find the guy holding the item.

If you add some plugins so a player can throw an item long distances, it could be really fun, with players running around and throwing the item from team member to team member while trying to kill the other team

So get a bunch of people, and make them fight?

Hmm, how about an game where a team has to hold an certain item for a set amount of time?

Not only will the players be trying to kill the other team, they'll be trying to find the guy holding the item.

If you add some plugins so a player can throw an item long distances, it could be really fun, with players running around and throwing the item from team member to team member while trying to kill the other team

This is a battle, not Capture the flag

This is a battle, not Capture the flag

not really what I was thinking about but...... yea it actually does sound like capture the flag.

I was thinking, the battles should not only just 5 vs 5 or 10 vs 10.

There should be other fights like 5 players in full black/red steel gear against 15/20 players in bronze/iron gear,

Bowmen/spear men in a fort against an attacking force of swords men.

5~10 lightly armored in a hit-and-run against 10~15 heavies, etc

Mix it up and balance it in other ways than similar numbers and gear

I don't really suggest red steel vs bronze, man, it's obvious who's gonna win. The idea is that the watcher doesn't know who is gonna win. Maybe steel armor with wrought iron weapons. That way the fight is long, and there are random chances. That way it's better.

I don't really suggest red steel vs bronze, man, it's obvious who's gonna win. The idea is that the watcher doesn't know who is gonna win. Maybe steel armor with wrought iron weapons. That way the fight is long, and there are random chances. That way it's better.

ok, maybe the red steel/bronze is a bit too unbalanced.

but you get the idea

In Roleplay, I've seen skirmishes ranging from 1v2 to 5v7, sometimes with the lesser side winning. It all depends on how your player base acts in TFC. Most of the guys I played with who did these battles trained up their EXP/Health to levels within the ranges of 80 to 160. Although armor helped (A LOT), we found that fortifications and defensive combat was what really made the combat.

I've found that, at least with the crowd I played with, they were very sensitive to the amount of work they had to put up with to get the armor or levels they needed to compete with others. So it wasn't surprising that range combat proceeded every siege, retreat, and ambush I've seen. With TFC's ore system, we were very aggressive with mineral right, especially with iron, and any hint of imbalance sparked ambushes and land grabs; so we either fought, traded, or compromised.

It is confirmed that this sequoia bug crap is fixed for next build

Problem: noone knows when that build happens.

I suggested this in another topic, but ill go over it again. Why not have a team based holds system. Teams would work together to survive, and slowly build their hold from the ground up. They could forge alliences, or war with other holds, and there could be specific people in each team who are the "merchants". This would still have the survival aspect, but also the "battle" aspect. If you wanted to have one main battle where everyone had to fight, you could set a date time and place, and everyone would have up to then to prepare for the battle. When the time came, they would head to the spot, where teams would form up, and they would all fight till on team was the victor.

?????

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0