Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Snow Capped Mountains

7 posts in this topic

You know? Just for the aesthethics (and possibly a mining bonus), it could be possible that the world spawns taller mountains (or make temperature go down faster as you go up). In the equator, where it doesn't snow at sea level there is snowcapped mountains. Examples are:

-Kilimanjaro, in Africa

-According to my history documents, Tenochtitlan (aztec capital, now Mexico DF) was surrounded by snowcapped mountains (wasn't really at equator, but it doesn't snow on sea level there).

-Himalaya mountains in Tíbet. On the sea level, India is hot, compare that to Mt. Everest.

-Los Andes mountains from Colombia to Chile are snowcapped, and Colombia, Ecuador and Peru are near the equator.

-(Not sure if true) When I saw the movie Argo, the capital of Iran, Tehran, had snow capped mountains next to it. (Gosh, that is friggin desert!) Also, the Sarracen got snow from the mountains to use it in some applications. The first ice-creams, the sherbet, were made from snow, and snow from mountains was even used to calm down fevers.

So yes, this sight would be a paradise in TFC:

Posted Image

Another thing, make snow items (snow blocks, snowballs) melt over time, and could collect with hands or shovel. (Right now only way to do it is with water). Even in chests, snow could melt if temperatures are too hot. To store ice (make it obtainable with knife/chisel) and snow without losing it is making a Yakhchal. Yakhchal were structures built in Ancient persia, to store snow and ice, and even food, and it acted as present day refrigerators. Althrough they could be made smaller if the devs wish. Size didn't matter in Yakhchal, just the structure. To give use to what I said uses for snow and ice in TFC could be added.

So well then hope you like.

Pretty sure temperature already decreases as altitude increases, which does result in snow capped mountains. I know this is true in more temperate areas such as at about 12,000 z. As for at the equator, I'm not sure the world height of 256 is tall enough to create a drastic enough change in temperature for snowfall.

Keep in mind that if you wish to reference actual mountains, sea level is currently set at about 140y, so that only leaves 116 m as the max altitude in relation to sea-level.

To put into perspective how small that number is, here's the altitudes of some of the mountains you've listed as examples.

Mount Kilimanjaro - 5,895 m

Ajusco (Mexico) - 3,930 m

Mount Kailash (One of the lowest peaks in the Himalayas) - 6,638 m

Andes Mountain Average Height - 4,000 m

Mount Damāvand (Iran) - 5,610 m

Here's some areas that are a bit closer in altitude to the mountains generated in TFC:

Mount Jamanota (Aruba) - 188 m

Mountain of Smoke (Bahrain) - 134 m

Ejer Bavnehøj (Denmark) - 170 m

Abu ‘Awdah (Gaza Strip) - 105 m

Bukit Timah (Singapore) - 164 m

I've been studying this thing about temperature for a while now, but there's no such thing as snow capped mountains; of course, if it's cold enough it snows, but it doesn't fall in the ground, as if it were to melt.

if the temperature was 0.5 C, there's a mountain reaching y 240, it starts raining, it's still the same temp.  When you go up the mountain, temperature barely changes (0.01 C ever 5 blocks) 

The world distributes temperature changes, from 255, to 180 y. Even if it's 0.01 C, it will be the same temp as the peak. This is because it distributes temperature so that, if it ain't freezing below, it ain't freezing above.

Pretty sure temperature already decreases as altitude increases, which does result in snow capped mountains. I know this is true in more temperate areas such as at about 12,000 z. As for at the equator, I'm not sure the world height of 256 is tall enough to create a drastic enough change in temperature for snowfall.

Keep in mind that if you wish to reference actual mountains, sea level is currently set at about 140y, so that only leaves 116 m as the max altitude in relation to sea-level.

To put into perspective how small that number is, here's the altitudes of some of the mountains you've listed as examples.

Mount Kilimanjaro - 5,895 m

Ajusco (Mexico) - 3,930 m

Mount Kailash (One of the lowest peaks in the Himalayas) - 6,638 m

Andes Mountain Average Height - 4,000 m

Mount Damāvand (Iran) - 5,610 m

Here's some areas that are a bit closer in altitude to the mountains generated in TFC:

Mount Jamanota (Aruba) - 188

Mountain of Smoke (Bahrain) - 134 m

Ejer Bavnehøj (Denmark) - 170 m

Abu ‘Awdah (Gaza Strip) - 105 m

Bukit Timah (Singapore) - 164 m

You are right in most things, yet part of the suggestion was to increase the cooling of temperature as you go up. If in y 150 I had 20 and y 151 I had 20.5, change it to y 150-20 y 151-21, so more snowcapped mountains appear. Make them generate a bit taller. Like 10 blocks taller.

I rewrote the temperature system recently.

And now i see more of this.

Posted Image

It's a real shame Minecraft snow looks so lame.

Can we have stacking snow back as well, since even vanilla got it now? That will look better at least.

I rewrote the temperature system recently.

And now i see more of this.

Posted Image

It's a real shame Minecraft snow looks so lame.

Can we have stacking snow back as well, since even vanilla got it now? That will look better at least.

Aye, to make it look like a decent snow capped mountains we need stacked snow. That doesn't look like a realistic snowcapped mountain. (Or at least believable) And another alternative would be to increase world height limit. (Althrough this would increase lag terribly)