Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oxxyjoe

An Alternate Dimension

26 posts in this topic

Hear me out. Dreamland is the "more believable" place, whereas the "Nether" was pretty much hell and unbelievably easy to get to. Also, later on, (as a corrolary to this suggestion) from within Dreamland, one could open a second portal into Nightmareland, (the regular nether). But let me not detract from the actual point here. The nether had just turned in to an actually awesome game mechanic. Now you don't actually have to change it at all. If you simply re-enabled a Nether that included at least 1 or 2 new types of ore, that would totally fulfill the point here. Obviously a nether portal is not realistic. But to make this a feesible game mechanic that does not take anything away from it, make the requirement a lot steeper. Have it so that to light the portal, one has to use some weird device, which can only be made from various metal alloys. Then have this device connect to a second specialty redstone device. Think of the Nether Portal as sort of a Back-to-the-Future time machine, you know what I mean? That way, it's something extreme but it's also closely associated with end-game stuff rather than early-to-mid game.Along the lines of it being a new realm entirely like I said Dreamland, you could see how the Aether works but don't obviously base it on anything already done. Instead I suggest simply that I miss there being a Nether, and adding one to TFC would give the game one additional achievable element as well as new potential for new block types and so on.Good idea right? :)

Not entirely sure how I feel about this.

No dimensions! Please! (No offence)

I believe that tfc should be a game with believability more on the real side with a hit of fantasy.

No dimentions. (period)

Um, how bout remove the bedrock, and replace it with a rock that can only be broken with red/blue steel or something.

Then below the bedrock, add the nether, kinda like saying you broke through into the 'core' of the earth. That could explain the lots of fire and lava and netherrack.

Getting to the core of the earth isn't that believable, but it's better then making it a dimension.

Because I like having glowstone and netherbrick and glowstone lamps, but I agree on the no dimensions thing, but still, it would be nice to have access to the nether.

maybe semi-fuse the "Nether" realm with the Overworld (Maybe with a portal involving a ladder going down to send you down if you are at Y:1 to 5) but replace the it with a more believable environment (a continuation of TFC underground) that is hotter, more hazardous (more Lava pockets, And old nether mobs like the Blaze and Wither Skeletons), and end it with a sea of lava (kinda like it is now in the overworld, but just move that down to the new realm.)

On the other hand, this topic has already been address before hasn't it? 

I don't think the game needs added dimensions, it hasn't realised its full potential in the starting world yet.

I am looking forward to seeing what comes down in B78 

There was a whole lot of discussion on new dimensions, two of the most prominent ones were the 'Go to hell' and 'The Wailing' threads. The first one, if memory serves, was focusing on trying to revamp the Nether to be like TFC, while the second one was focused on throwing it away altogether and replacing it with a more darker, Elder-like dimension.

Unfortunately, I believe that those suggestions were shot down completely, and yours' is no different. On the other hand, I'm not entirely against the idea of having the Nether in TFC. Maybe we could have it as some sort of massive cavern with extreme volcanic activity, like in vMC, but it has an ungodly amount of vanilla hostiles roaming the place, and put in the ancient ruins Mr. Dunkleosteus had stated in a much earlier time to explain the Nether and the aforementioned hostiles populating the underground world.

I never saw the Nether as being "Hell"

I've always thought of the Nether as merely being an alternate dimension full of fire and lava. That's the great thing about Minecraft, is that everything is open to interpretation.

I remember that somewhere we have a thread on what the Nether was going to be transformed into. If i remember correctly, it as going to be more of an "Deep-World" of massive chasms, cracked wastelands, volcanic rifts and vents galore, Enormous caverns and tunnels under the surface, somewhat akin to what Vanilla's nether is like.

Maybe but not now. There are a lot of work in the starting world. Developers do not have so much time to spend it on two worlds.  ;)

You can go into the nether currently. And even get some vanilla diamonds. To make enchanting table. Figure this out by yourselves, it's way more interesting that way.

I think that the nether should be made stable with TFC for no other reason than compatibility with other mods.  That said, I'd be okay with changing the entrance mechanic if they wanted to.  But whatever is done, make it so that going there doesn't corrupt worlds.  And what transcengopher sort of said.

I never saw the Nether as being "Hell"

I've always thought of the Nether as merely being an alternate dimension full of fire and lava. That's the great thing about Minecraft, is that everything is open to interpretation.

I remember that somewhere we have a thread on what the Nether was going to be transformed into. If i remember correctly, it as going to be more of an "Deep-World" of massive chasms, cracked wastelands, volcanic rifts and vents galore, Enormous caverns and tunnels under the surface, somewhat akin to what Vanilla's nether is like.

Well... if you look at the biome (F3) in the nether, it is actually Hell...  But yeah, you can interpret it any way you like.

Well, I got a fairly new idea that I hope you enjoy:

The Nether is not believable, yet I have a better idea: the Underworld. The Underworld isn't accessed by a portal. To access the Underworld, just go down till' the lava layer. Instead of bedrock there is a rock as hard as mining obsidian with a vanilla diamond pickaxe. Once you mine it you fall to a portal block that instantly teleports you to the top of the underworld. To go back, climb to the portal block. (It can be purely black). The Underworld features the following.

-It begins at layer 70 and ends at layer 0. (After that the true new layer of bedrock, unaccessible due to hot temperatures)

-Temperatures from y-70 to y-50 vary from 30° to 40°, from y-50 to y-30 they vary from 35° to 50°, and from y-30 to y-0 they vary from 40° to 60°

-The high ambient temperature can heat any cookable stuff you have. Maximum could be until Warming***

-It has no mobs (Let's face it, who survives in such temperatures?)

-If you wear metal armor it will make you lose life to represent that you are cooking inside it once you get past 45° (may work in surface too on deserts)

-Underworld is shittingly, greatly, highly rich in sulfur and magnetite, or other high tier metals that spawn on basalt

-Underworld only has basalt

-It consist on narrow tunnels that usually go down, and in the bottom lava pockets can appear. The wall of the tunnels usually have sulfur incrustations

-After y-20 a giant lava layer that represents the end of the earth crust will spawn. In y-5 bedrock will begin to appear, representing the earth's nucleus and from y-8 to y-5 there is molten iron that represents the molten part of the nucleus (optional)

-Near the beggining of the lava layer from y-23 to y-20 there is heated rock (only basalt because it's the only rock down there) if any rock is placed, it turns heated (maybe metadata). Heated rocks harm on contact and catch flammable stuff on fire, it also destroys any loose items it touches, like cacti or lava. If any rock is placed down these layers, they become heated and once mined it returns normal rock. Heated rocks have a reddish tone

-You can sleep here  without your bed exploding, but it sets no spawnpoint

Well that's all folks! Hope you like!

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Topic, Merged into older, exisiting one

Maybe make it gabbro underground instead? Basalt is extrusive, and cools on the surface. Gabbro is the rock you find under the surface, along with granite. Both are extremely common, it just differs depending on what's in the magma that cools. 

I don't exactly like the idea of an alternate dimension, but if it did have to be added, I'd have separate inventories for each world, so that one could not take items from one and bring it to another. In this way you could have your regular world, and then somehow get to your "dreamworld". The dreamworld would probably be a very easy, and somewhat impossible version of the normal world. 

All in all I'd have to say no to this idea in general, because though it may be fun for some people, it'd seem quite stupid to others. Also there's the fact that I'm sure much of the forum would agree with me when I say I'd rather the developers work on important game mechanics than a fantasyland. 

This Underworld talk is exactly the stuff that was discussed in TFC2 subforums. I guess, it is deleted now, which is a shame. Back then Underworld was supposed to take place of underground to allow to have sea level at about 30, so we could have higher mountains on the surface.

I don't see the point of Underworld if the Overworld is unchanged. Especially if Underworld is just a hotter caves with even less stuff in them than there currently is (no lifeforms, I mean).

This Underworld talk is exactly the stuff that was discussed in TFC2 subforums. I guess, it is deleted now, which is a shame. Back then Underworld was supposed to take place of underground to allow to have sea level at about 30, so we could have higher mountains on the surface.

I don't see the point of Underworld if the Overworld is unchanged. Especially if Underworld is just a hotter caves with even less stuff in them than there currently is (no lifeforms, I mean).

--

Can't shitloads of iron and sulfur convince you?

--

Can't shitloads of iron and sulfur convince you?

Not really. It'd be way too boring then.

I like the idea of another dimension as a way of extending the height of the world.  Instead of thinking of it as dimensional travel, just think of it as a loading screen between instances.  I know the focus of the mod is mining and metallurgy, but I really do spend most of my time on the surface, and having more space up there would be great.

One caveat though:  If you do this, don't retool the nether, just make your own dimension from scratch.  That way you don't have to worry about retrofitting your dimension within the nether code, and you preserve the nether for compatibility's sake (I know, this is becoming my mantra).  

In many topics if the TFC forums many state that we should not use other dimensions, and a few state we should use them to extend the range of the over-world. This topic is about the latter.

Another dimension, similar to the cave-worlds from mystcraft would be a suitable addition to the over-world. A few years back when i played on bukkit servers there was a plugin that allowed the travel between the over-world, nether, and a custom aether; via elevation based portals.

This would let you dig "into" into the nether. However for us it would be a cavernous world that would be inhabited by many different kinds of deep dwelling creatures.

The benefits would be increased ore spawns, new resources, and a new challenge to explore.

The difficulties would be dangerous mobs, intense temperatures, lava fissures, cave ins on epic proportions, and a new environment that is easy to get lost in.

-now we get into the details of this-

the over-world would need to have the lava at the bottom of the world removed, the lakes and rivers are fine but the endless pool right above bedrock. To get to "The Deep" you would need to mine to bedrock (y2) then make a 3x3 ring of smooth stone and place a ladder in it. this serves as your portal.

The spawn point would place a ladder back up from a platform into the inverse of the entrance portal. (so you can climb back out)

(sea-level) would be around block 200 leaving plenty of space for going deeper.

The bottom of this would would be solid lava and a layer of bedrock

--The naturally occurring things in "The Deep"

Plants-

Mostly fungus based, the plants in "The Deep" would be quite varied. With several kinds available.

Large mushrooms- similar to vanilla giant mushrooms, these are tree analogs. While they are actually quite rare they are found in decent sized groups. They would not be compatible for a blast furnace but could provide planks, broken into sticks for torches, and burned for charcoal although it would only yield half. The mushrooms would grow on a patch of dirt/cobble/gravel type of block (like soil but mostly just decayed stone from the mushrooms). The mushrooms don't directly drop a "sapling" but will occasionally drop a spore cluster, which allows the propagation of spawn (the stuff that grows mushrooms). This spawn, stone-mycelium would be able to randomly generate a sprout (like how grass randomly creates tall grass), this sprout would then grow into a mushroom similar to how a fruit tree grows. Once a sprout grows it prevents sprouts from appearing in a 3x3 area centered on itself.

Glowing plants- various kinds these all provide red-stone like light levels and are fairly common, giving the whole world a strange eerie glow. A farm-able variant of mushroom provides brighter light but needs to be raised on the surface.

Edibles- a few forms of mushrooms would be edible but not directly, they would need to be made into meals to eat. these would be uncommon to find and can be farmed underground with out light.

Ambient- various kinds of mosses and other non complex plants, these would serve a purpose like ferns and such on the surface.

Structures

Forges as we have them now would not function in the deep( no sky to detect). We would need a few new things to make life in "The Deep" possible.

Lava forge- "The Deep" would have naturally occurring lava springs, these can be harnessed to fuel a forge underground. However while not needing coal to run a lava forge would instantly destroy metals weaker than iron, due to super-heating them. Unless a crucible is used to smelt metals it is useless to someone not in the iron age. The lava forge would only function in "The Deep". To build a lava forge it roughly the same except, you would need a buffer block ( made from metal {cant think right now will come up with crafting later}) at the bottom, it would still need coal to create but wont need fuel as long as there is lava connected to the buffer. the heat limit of the forge is based on how much lava is connected to the buffer block, each adding 20% to the max heat.

Heat sink- a heat sink might be a bit beyond TFC tech but it is believable in function at least. By placing a heat sink block and running water past it, the ambient temperature will decrease in 5 chunk by 5 chunk area. The effect would be small but with quite a few of them you can replicate surface temperature in "The Deep", thus making it easier to survive without have a full inventory of water bottles.

Mobs

Mob redo would place many vanilla mobs in "The Deep" but also have many new ones

Aquatic animals- in the underwater rivers and lakes there would be a few kinds of animals- all are edible and drop raw fish when killed

Ghost Fish- small nearly invisible fish, these attack and apply poison, similar to cave spiders

Olms- a large aquatic amphibian, the olm would be a passive mob, but will attack if harmed. They occasionally drop eggs like chickens.

Cave Crayfish- a large lobster like creature, these are completely passive although they will flee very quickly to the bottom of lakes and rivers.

Bacteria- macro bacteria that spawn in bacterial pools. They cant survive for long outside of the pool but are very dangerous non the less. They do only 10 damage but they can swarm very quickly. 

Leviathan (ok this might be a stretch)- massive sea creature only found in the deep subterranean oceans. very hard to kill but drops an item (insert trophy idea here) as a trophy, similar to the ender-dragon dropping the egg. The leviathan would also have a tame-able variant that has to be raised from an egg. (mostly for those that want an aquarium) pet leviathans could be ridden (maybe idk)

Land mobs-Most of the land based creatures are poisonous and will be drawn to sources of bright light

Deep Scorpion- a form of pseudo-scorpion, the Deep scorpion are relatively small, fast, and quite poisonous. When killed it drops a venom sack which can be used to make a resistance to poison tonic. Avoids tamed harvest-men

Harvest-men- a deep cave variant of spider, these large spiders (relative term, they are small by vanilla spider standards{same as cave spider}) are dangerous due to very high top speeds. They are unusual in that they are not venomous. has normal spider drops and behaviors. They tend to flee from bright light, but can be tamed by feeding them raw mushrooms. They serve the same purpose as cats and dogs on the surface. They will protect the player like a wolf, and scare creepers and scorpions away. Once tamed they still try to avoid light but will remain near where told to stay.

Glowing Snails- a large snail that emits faint light, they are slow and quite passive. when killed they drop raw snail meat and shell shards. The meat is comparable to steak and the shell shards can be made into javelins or arrows

Giant millipede- The Terror of "The Deep" the millipedes are black, making them near impossible to spot, and can poison and slow enemies. They drop nothing of value and are rare, but are extremely dangerous as they have spider scaling abilities but can fit through 1 block openings. They have no fear of light or other creatures. millipedes would also be able to burrow, digging blocks that are weak like dirt, sand, gravel, and sedimentary rock, they wont do this unless they saw you go to an unreachable area, then they will try to burrow.

Environment-

A couple of randomly generated things (similar to hot springs in b78)

Sludge- a thick opaque liquid found in ponds underground. Slows movement speed and is undrinkable. has no source-blocks so the liquid is finite, it can be run through a sluice to get minerals, ores, or gems. This would consume the sludge, and output water.

Lava tube- long strait tubes of INGEX rock that run vertical shafts, often lined with ore

Bacteria pool- thick soupy liquid that is toxic to the touch, the liquid has no use but can be picked up in a (add new item--) black steel bucket

Geodes- large rocks that are not of the native type (ie INGEX in a sedimentary layer) that is hollow, the interior is lined with an ore, or mineral but the hollow space is filled with a liquid

Subterranean Ocean- massive ocean (smaller than surface ocean) in the deep, can be over a hundred blocks deep in places.

Hot springs- because why not, same as on surface

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Topic, Merged into older, exisiting one

I like this suggestion because I think it would fit into TFC

- Another idea-

Add tier 7 metals, (however you would go about doing that) and have required materials for the alloys only be found in the Deep

I like this suggestion because I think it would fit into TFC

Well the mobs are based on actual creatures, with a minecraft twist. most creatures in the deep caves of the world are barely over a few millimeters in size. with the largest being fish at a few inches. The olms are real amphibians that are about a foot in size.

Its just underground in TFC seems so bland. so why not have a deeper area that is nothing but underground caves, tunnels, and caverns? Plus it adds another level of challenge to the world, sure you can survive the equator, sure you can survive the arctic, but can you survive the depths?

Well the mobs are based on actual creatures, with a minecraft twist. most creatures in the deep caves of the world are barely over a few millimeters in size. with the largest being fish at a few inches. The olms are real amphibians that are about a foot in size.

Its just underground in TFC seems so bland. so why not have a deeper area that is nothing but underground caves, tunnels, and caverns? Plus it adds another level of challenge to the world, sure you can survive the equator, sure you can survive the arctic, but can you survive the depths?

Yeah, this has always been something that bothered me in Minceraft in general, you have this infinite world to explore, but the underground portion is only ~64 metres deep before you can't go any further? and the caves that you do get to explore are rather bland, being little more than holes with the occasional water spring or patch of ores to interest you

and also, once you've got a decent weapon, some torches and food, caves cease to be a danger as well, as long as you know not to leap right into the rare lava floes,

Minceraft really needs to live up to its name more, make the underground worth exploring, and make it a challenge to explore as well,

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0