Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EnTro

Snow and ice, changes of the winter mechanics

9 posts in this topic

The TerraCrocoCraft server's town of Aventum is pretty far north (15k) and winter is clearly present for about 5 out of 12 months. I personally like snow and it makes me smile every time the winter sets in in TFC and it starts snowing :). But nothing is perfect, so here are some of my suggestions for the winter mechanics.

Bug: Snow on removed leaves: after cutting a tree with snow on top, the snow still floats in the air and can trap sticks, logs and sapling on top. The snow should obviously disappear with the leaves.

Snow decimates long grass: I believe that snow removes all traces of grass (except from under trees) by replacing it and not regenerating fast enough. After living in an area for a while, it looks really barren and makes it difficult to find straw (especially on servers). Maybe snowy long grass can be implemented, or snow doesn't collect where long grass is.

Snow collect on everything not solid: Right now snow collects on signs, stairs, plank constructions, open trapdoors, fences (you can jump them with snow on top), carpets and a lot more creating unrealistic structures that are difficult to navigate. Snow should only collect on blocks/items with a solid top side.

Snow fall pattern: snow layers in TFC spawn randomly during snowy weather. This creates a very jagged pattern while in real life snow usually smooths out the landscape. I would suggest to add a small rule to the addition of snow layers:

A new snow layer will only be added if the surrounding blocks have at least the same number of snow layers, or are blocks/tiles

This will make the snow less jagged, keep the snow on the hills thin and you get snowbanks growing from hill sides and walls :).

Snow shoes: traveling through snow slows you down. This is very realistic, but can get really frustrating if you try to do something outside of your house. I suggest to add snowshoes to the game, made out of sticks and string/leather. Wearing these will improve your snow traveling rate, but the shoes provide no protection.

Snow melting: melting happens layer by layer.

Ice growth: this has been suggested by someone else before (can't remember who it was). With the exception of small lakes, ice usually starts growing from the shore inward. Maybe if the temperature is low enough (below - 5C or so) ice starts freezing also in the middle of the lake.

Snow shoveling: removing snow is now a tedious task and using a shovel doesn't help. If used on snow, the shovel could clear a 3x3 area of snow, much like the scythe does. And maybe it could give some snowballs, we still need something to throw to our friends :D.

It's a cool suggestion

I like the ice growth part, maybe there should be a feature were you can fall through ice if it's too thin.

Good stuff.  Especially the snow drifts bit.

The Ice growth may actually make ice formation a lot less resource intensive. Since it needs to check whether it is next to a shore and/or ice to form, and it is not a whole water body check.

In the server I frequent, they actually raised the water freezing temperature to 2C so that the whole freezing and unfreezing wouldn't happen too often and dragging resources with it. 

Thanks for your support :) I like the falling through ice suggestion, maybe if you walk on ice that borders water.

The Ice growth may actually make ice formation a lot less resource intensive. Since it needs to check whether it is next to a shore and/or ice to form, and it is not a whole water body check.

In the server I frequent, they actually raised the water freezing temperature to 2C so that the whole freezing and unfreezing wouldn't happen too often and dragging resources with it. 

[End of quote]

Yeah indeed, freezing / thawing is server intensive. In TFC during winter the server's effective capacity halves if everyone is in areas with snow and ice around. Some optimizations there would help a bunch!

I guess that my proposed snowfall pattern would increase server load, but I'm not sure if that would be noticeable or not.

One more thing I was thinking about: life in the colder regions is much more difficult than living near the equator. Food grows more slowly/barely grows, snow slows you down, you need more fuel to run your fires. To balance this out, the north could have some advantages. Anyone has ideas?

Cold places could have more furry animals and some simplier foods like mushrooms, fishes, others.

or maybe food could rot depending on temperature: the hotter the faster the food spoils.

i would be interested in cold wheather gear (to go with the snow shoes)

since i have not made it yet to winter in an area where it snows (and thanks for the heads up, i now have a reason to head north so i get snow in winter *grin*) i wondered if cold weather gear would be even valuable.

things like raw fur pelts and sheepskin would work well, but would need working on/with other items.

bone could be carved into toggles, awls and needles, and scraped leather could be cut into strips of thonging to sew together the pieces needed to make the cold gear. (i would sugest perhaps a flint based knife for thonging making)

the gear itself would be just clothing, so would not have any armour rating. the same could be made for hot weather gear, from cloth.maybe a straw hat for summer and wood/leather thong for sandles. all of the clothing would also be wearable anytime, but since there woud be no armour rating, it would be for show.

also its era safe, since we were making skin stuff in the stone age and all the way up to the middle ages (if we were poor lol)

temperature and climate will play a bigger role in the future, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0