Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECC

Know not the world or what it brings. Animilia

7 posts in this topic

//forward note: I've not played in months. This is a late night sleep deprived caffeine fueled idea sparked from the wish for a mixed drink I actually enjoy the taste of. Yes, fucking spider faced pigs came from wanting mixed drinks. If you dont like it, or just want to call bullshit, go ahead and reply below. Not that I am planning on reading this thread or anything. Kitty, if you've got a recipe then you know where to find me.

Fear.

It's a word, a very simple word with a simple and well known meaning. But what meaning does it have in a game where everything is familiar, or least of all fairly so? None. Grass is grass, stone is stone, the pig is not a sheep and the cow not a towel.

But what of spiders and skeletons and zombies too? Are those not to fear?

My dear friends, they are the same as any other. Just as you soon learn to walk around a tree to pass it, you learn to strafe skeletons, drown spiders, and outrun zombies. They are not to be feared as you easily and quickly learn what they do. Not only to that, you have learned long ago what to do.

But I still die at their gruesome hands, I have reason to fear them!

Perhaps I misspoke when I said you have learned. Perhaps it is said that I have learned, as have many others. Or perhaps you are simply too interested in that chicken you saw a kilometer back. No matter, your issue is not the subject of this matter.

Then tell me where this is going, I do have better things to do.

Ah, then I suppose I shall.

-=0=-

In the world of Terra as we have come to call it, every experience is much the same. From stone to steel we rise up from less then nothing always putting worries far behind. Every time we do it again we find ourselves challenging ourselves to do it faster then the last, if anything to simply keep our eyes on the screen so we can further put off that thing we were supposed to do 3 hours ago. But why? Why must it be the same? Why should it always be stone to steel? Why should I always ride a horse? Why can't I steal away into the night riding a cow? Why even must it be a cow, why not something from the depths of that hobo under the bridge's nightmares?

The answer lay in fact; It does not need to be this way. There should never be speak of 'same' only 'difference'. Our real world societies are built on the differences. It is truly a magic to behold and with the right twist, could do our dream world, Terra, a world of good.

-=0=-

Animila

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Or is that not a beast of a bear but the steed for m'lady? Yes, that is the idea in this thread. What appears to be greater beasts could really be your saving grace. Rather then letting you play two very different worlds and knowing every time that a bear will bite and a zombie will chew, you would need to learn again what all does what. But why should a zombie give milk? Why would a cow nibble at my head?

They wouldn't. This is not a small change. Zombies and cows and spiders and all those wonderful others would be gone, forever left in the old assets of a world known only as vanilla. In place a select few creatures would come in. Each serving a distinct role. Steed, livestock, friend, foe, and may more. Some may share multiple roles and others could have no discernible role other then existing for existence's sake. But why should this be better then simply adding a goat to the existing mob list? Why would this change every play though when a rose is still a rose even under another name?

Because you don't know it's a rose- or rather a goat. This goat wouldn't look like a goat, it wouldn't sound like a goat, it wouldn't move or breathe like a goat. But why? Because it's not a goat. With this every animal would be a mash up of various 'acceptable' parts, a bit like Frankenstein's monster. They would be given a randomly generated name and then sent on their way. In an ideal situation, only 10-20 mobs would exist, each being a 'randomly' generated model and fulfilling the role defined by the mob's AI. Every mob would have a few randomly chosen effects. Long legs instead of short, brown fur texture instead of blue scales, a snarl instead of a hiss. The mob would still react like it did the last time you played although it would look and feel very different. a 'wallcrawler' would always attack you and climb a wall the same as any spider in vanilla. but instead of 8 legs it may only have 7. Or none. It may be black and blue or red all over. It may be many things.

And that is the idea. The idea is that you don't know what it is. That scary looking 8 legged ruby red scaled beast might actually be this worlds plow horse. This adds fear to every world. You know something is out there to get you, you know its going to come for you, you know your time is limited...

But you don't know who it is. you don't know what it is. Until it comes. And then you can defend yourself.

TL;DR: Add rando'mobs plz!

To the devs: why even consider this? You shouldn't, its going to be a bitch to maintain even if by some small chance it appeals. Seriously, I'm hallucinating from sleep deprivation at this point and should be properly ignored. Time is better spent elsewhere. Like stalking Kitty.

Cool idea

This would add more atmosphere to TFC. Because it makes it so that you have a tribe in a forest and you come across it and the tribe warns you that down south nose-bitters(weird) walk the woods and are very dangerous. It's also cool because one one clan is most know for how they ride on bears(maybe).

Before I begin, welcome back, ECC! I haven't seen you in a while!

Now, on to the good stuff.

Of course, I would agree that this idea alone would be extremely difficult to maintain, because of the huge randomness factor that really comes along with it. Because of your mentioning of the word 'Fear', it made me think that this idea shouldn't be added at all. On the other hand, it does bring up a few good points.

The reason why I don't think this should be added because keeping the fear from staling is more of a survival-horror concept than actual survival-survival. You don't know what the heck those things are, why they are chasing you, or why they are even like that. You just don't, you just simply run away from them and hope they won't tear out your guts like they did to those before you. However, because TFC tends to stale after playing from stone to steel so many times, I would say that the randomization factor could be a good idea.

TL;DR: Throw out the crazy hallucination suggestion, but keep the tiny randomization factor in, because the developers could try to add a bit of randomization to certain aspects, like climate, day/night cycle, biomes, ocean levels, forest densities, and all of that good stuff. Basically, you could try to randomize the environment quite a bit, while maybe randomizing the mobiles a little bit?

-Sda209.

I know I said I wouldn't check, but im better equipped now(read: awake. Still missing a good drink tho.)

Fear comes from not knowing what a creature is until you get close enough to interact with it. Basically this makes it so you cant tell what creature is what at a glance until you've had experience with one of its kind before. This doesn't make it so a cow will charge you outright, rather it makes it so you cant tell its a cow from the first five minutes of play. In order to learn that you must spend time around it. As soon as you realize what it is then you know for future reference. This only would serve to change the first few steps into a new world. Everything beyond it would... be the same as it always has been.

oh and the suggestion is ONLY what is in the spoiler. Everything else was late night rambles. >.>

I need a drink

So, basically, for each world/seed, the animals/creatures look different, sound different, and have different roles, kinda like the meal system(bad example, I know).

We can see a 6 legged, black, tiny creature with horns, and it can actually be a passive mob that gives milk, beef, and leather, and we can see a fluffy, medium-sized, pig-like thing, and have it crawl over our walls and try to eat us.

I like it. I'll make you more cautious and careful, and in the beginning. it'll really be exploring, you don't know what's going to eat you, what you can tame... you won't know anything

"So, basically, for each world/seed, the animals/creatures look different, sound different, and have different roles, kinda like the meal system(bad example, I know).

We can see a 6 legged, black, tiny creature with horns, and it can actually be a passive mob that gives milk, beef, and leather, and we can see a fluffy, medium-sized, pig-like thing, and have it crawl over our walls and try to eat us.

I like it. I'll make you more cautious and careful, and in the beginning. it'll really be exploring, you don't know what's going to eat you, what you can tame... you won't know anything"

Yes, yes, yes, and no.

They continue to have the same roles. a 'sheep' type animal will always be a sheep. But they look and sound entirely different. Between two playthoughs you could have a hostile spider thingy after you... then in the next play something that looks and sounds the same could be a passive 'sheep'.

I like the idea of randomization of animals to a point, but realize that through natural selection, the animals that are peaceful and usefull will generally look more peaceful (no big claws, teeth, poison tails ect.) It simply is not effeciant for such animals to have them, so such type of animal would not be able to survive. If randomization occurs, their should be two or more lists from which parts of the animal can come, one list for pasive animals and one list for hostiles.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0