Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

Mechanical Power. Doing things Better, Faster

90 posts in this topic

Honestly it mechanical power would only be useful for helping large servers ( mine is about 120ish users) and providing quality of life for the solo or small group players. If you are playing by yourself you dont really need to have a factory sized power plant to grind grain, a small water wheel with a mill stone and maybe a sawmill attached would provide a fairly decent ammount of use and make it less tedious then rightclick + wait, rightclick + wait. being able to load the mills with material and turn them on would be a great boon, especially with other mods that make life much much harder.

Mechanical power doesn't really have a place in TFC (unfortunately). Land is abundant, so situating around water isn't really a problem, you don't ever need to move water. There's no need to power bellows, mill stones, rock crusher etc

The game pretty much caters for everything in a pretty balanced way.

The only point that saddens me is that Brass would provide an excellent material for bearings.

Mechanical power DOES have a place in TFC, and the reason why there are a lot of suggestions like this, is because people want it and feel that terrafirmacraft is good beacause its realistic, and a small level of automatation isn't against survival, but it does put a purpose after red steel.

Mechanical power DOES have a place in TFC, and the reason why there are a lot of suggestions like this, is because people want it and feel that terrafirmacraft is good beacause its realistic, and a small level of automatation isn't against survival, but it does put a purpose after red steel.

Name a mechanized system which small villages employed in medieval times?

Name a mechanized system which small villages employed in medieval times?

It isn't about small villages, but, oh windmills, watermills, horsespower mills

Mechanical power doesn't really have a place in TFC (unfortunately). Land is abundant, so situating around water isn't really a problem, you don't ever need to move water. There's no need to power bellows, mill stones, rock crusher etc

The game pretty much caters for everything in a pretty balanced way.

The only point that saddens me is that Brass would provide an excellent material for bearings.

what about elevators

It isn't about small villages, but, oh windmills, watermills, horsespower mills

It is about small villages. Most TFC servers have small villages with a just a few regulars. WIndmills, watermills and horsepower mills mean nothing without an application to use them.

Grinding grain is done in quern, a millstone is only required for huge amounts of grain, not to mention that they are absolutely high maintenance in real life.

Transporting water is trivial and arbitrary in a landscape where water is abundant, from what I know most water was transported by suction pumps which wouldn't require any pump.

If you name a good application for one the mills you mentioned I'll consider it.

Ok, if you meant villages like that, than ok, but i think this doesn't mean we live in the age of medieval small villages by the time we get STEEL. The thing about TFC is that it is great in the realism aspect and only getting better at it without making the game boring. But you might get bored indeed after you have red steel, even if multiplayer, extrafirma whatnot. I'm not saying that TFC is boring just but the time will come in the development where making the survival aspect needs to slow down, and think about these matters, what users want in the game, because this wouldn't be against the survival feeling, a little automation possibility makes far more content to enjoy and to be creative.

As for good applications. maybe grain grinding isn't  the best, but elevators, and it may seem wierd, ships would be fun in the TFC way, tree cutting, mechanical saw, hoe, rotating blocks, piston sytems, fertlizer/watering sytems maybe (far end game) drilling sytems would be much better in the terrafirma/better than wolves style than minefactory/forestry/industrialcraft, and item tranportation via minecarts could be automated more TFClike or boat tranportation. even though its a survival mod, industry with mechanical power should not be thrown away.

It is about small villages. Most TFC servers have small villages with a just a few regulars. WIndmills, watermills and horsepower mills mean nothing without an application to use them.

Grinding grain is done in quern, a millstone is only required for huge amounts of grain, not to mention that they are absolutely high maintenance in real life.

Transporting water is trivial and arbitrary in a landscape where water is abundant, from what I know most water was transported by suction pumps which wouldn't require any pump.

If you name a good application for one the mills you mentioned I'll consider it.

Given the way minecraft water works, suction pumps aren't particularly a realistic option to model without finite water

If you want pump realism and infinite water, you kind of have to use some form of continuous pump.

Automation is a concept that improve's people's standards of living. Medieval villages would have done so if they could have afforded to do so.

TFC does not model all the economic factors to model why medieval villagers couldn't afford to automate things

In progression based minecraft mods, your time, food, health, and blocks/items are your resources. You don't have to worry about bandits or thieves/tax collectors, there are no educational barriers, you will not be barred from doing somethings because you are a "inferior race" (i.e. you have no royal blood if you are white. I'm pretty sure everyone understands non-white ethnicities were considered inferior), most of your attackers burn in the sunlight

Don't forget cheap/slave labor just isn't a option in TFC. If you want something, YOU have to work for it. Therefore automation is a much higher priority for those with wealth

Honestly it mechanical power would only be useful for helping large servers ( mine is about 120ish users) and providing quality of life for the solo or small group players. If you are playing by yourself you dont really need to have a factory sized power plant to grind grain, a small water wheel with a mill stone and maybe a sawmill attached would provide a fairly decent ammount of use and make it less tedious then rightclick + wait, rightclick + wait. being able to load the mills with material and turn them on would be a great boon, especially with other mods that make life much much harder.

Hey Kazahied, What is the name of your server?

I think that windmills should be added to the TFC mod. They would be a multi block structure consisting of logs and bevels (Added in also). There would be a quern placed at the bottom of the structure with 5 logs in a pillar directly above the quern. Then a bevel would be placed, and another log placed on the outside face of the bevel. Lastly a windmill head would be placed on the log, turning it into a working windmill. The hotter the air and the higher the altitude the faster the windmill spins. Note: the windmill head should have to have open air for five blocks in all directions and have sunlight directly hitting it for it to work.

I think there should be several tiers of windmills in this order:

- Wrought Iron (2,000 Durability)

- Black Steel (5,000 Durability)

- Red Steel (10,000 Durability)

Durability is taken away at 1 durability a second during calm (Not Rainy) weather, and 2.5 taken away during rain storms. The quern would have a new bar on the right side, this would show the torque input. Faster windmills produce more torque allowing diffrent items to be crushed. Maybe make certain items that require higher levels of torque then your hand to grind it.

Torque outputs:

- Hand (20 torque) You can grind up grain.

- Windmill (For every 1 degrees +2 torque (This is added to 20))

A few amount ideas for required torque will be shown here. Of course this isn't everything and I would prefer not to think through all of the items that can be ground or crushed, but these should give you a good idea. If the item isn't receiving enough torque, than a message will show in the GUI of the quern that it isn't receiving enough torque.

- Cinnabar (30 Torque)

- Graphite (35 Torque)

- Kaolinite (40 Torque)

This all should add to the game, making it a bit more difficult but it makes the acquiring of the crucible a bit more difficult, and I believe that it adds more believability to the game.

Just thought this would be nice :) 

Although it is an older topic it is still quite valid and has very detailed discussion on Windmills. http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5090-mechanical-power-doing-things-better-faster/

As stated in rules we prefer to have suggestions be limited to one thread, would you like me to merge this into that topic or simply lock this thread?

As for critique. I think perhaps you won't want to do some math. In calm weather the iron windmill would last just over 1.5 minecraft days, the black steel nearly 3.75 days and the red steel 7.5 days. That seems very short.

Thanks, didnt do the math, just putting out some ideas, and yes, just go ahead and merge the thread. I looked a few pages back and didnt see anything about this, guess I didnt look far enough :P

Also Archimedes's screw would be nice too. Useful at short distance and somewhat simpler and lower tech than a traditional pump. Also, farming implements, horse- or ox- driven sowers and harvesters. Aqueducts to irrigate fertile but dry land, and at that, rudimentary water towers. Wood pulp-maker to get rid of weeds, just a simple 2 gears with a hopper above, and mushroom farm and lava forge and.. and.. i'm so full of ideas!

Ok, some might be useless and/or OP

Please keep comments to the OP of windmills and waterwheels. There is already topics on farm implements etc.