Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kereminde

Rotten Flesh to something useful?

21 posts in this topic

Just a thought, since "Rotten Flesh" from zombies is confirmed useless except to clutter up space, why not allow it to be turned into something. Notably, being able to turn it into Leather through a process, such as first using a knife to make Raw Hide out of it, then it's usable in the leathermaking process.

Or say, compost? Say, allow you to put it in barrels with something, seal it up, then when it's ready to be opened you get compost which can restore nutrients to soil? (Since I know accelerated crop growth isn't probably desired for something as common as Rotten Flesh.) 

Sounds good, but the part about making leather, No. Rotting flesh is basically a piece of decomposing flesh. If you could have the power to turn a piece of a corpse that tears and breaks easily into stiff animal skin, your a necromancer.

It was my first thought, the "composting" idea came later as I thought about a second possible use for it. I'd happily toss the leather idea _except_ I'd like to think there could be uses for it. Once I got a nice kill-trap set up in a couple places to weather nights, I was almost drowning in Rotten Flesh and had to dispose of them into Pit Kiln fires :)

Yeah, as much as i found it weird, back when zombies dropped feathers, their drops now, although they make much more sense, are incredibly useless,

as for fertilizer purpouses, i honestly wouldn't use anything that came from a bloody zombified corpse on any of my crops, heeeeelll naw. s'nasty yo. not even counting any sort of dissease/dark voodoo sorcery that raised those zombles from the dead in the first place

if anything, they should drop scraps of cloth, or something that you could actually use.

Thing is, I did searches and it's one of those things nobody has a use for *except* for what sort of lovely and interesting toxic stuff you can get as a byproduct. Or to get maggots.

Yeah, still just can't help but wonder even so, can we get anything out of it?

Well you can eat maggots.... and poisoning someone in pvp, well who doesn't want to?

But if rotten flesh could be used to make anything useful, unless it took tons of rotten flesh to do so, it'd be too over powered in my opinion.

As said, a simple trap can give you chestfuls of rotten flesh in one or two nights. If they could be used to make fertilizer, or poison, or food, well...

But I think Srgnoodles's idea is the best. Just make zombies drop scraps of cloth, or sticks, something useful, and believable, and not too over powered.

Scraps of cloth would work... have it take 9 to make a large scrap then 9 large  to make a piece. It would cut down on how mindblowingly easy it is to farm zombies

Scraps of cloth would work... have it take 9 to make a large scrap then 9 large  to make a piece. It would cut down on how mindblowingly easy it is to farm zombies

well, zombies do drop a ton of stuff(like, 3~4 double chests in a ridiculously short time)....

The only thing I can think of right now is to make all zombie drops semi-rare, or to make zombies rare.

well, zombies do drop a ton of stuff(like, 3~4 double chests in a ridiculously short time)....

The only thing I can think of right now is to make all zombie drops semi-rare, or to make zombies rare.

If you make it to where a Zombie's drops require about 81 of them to do anything usefull, those 3~4 chests soon empty as you condense them into something usefull

But then, it'll take at least 9 crafting sessions to make something useful out of it(if it takes 81), and will anyone really be bothered to craft 3~4 double chest worth of rotten flesh 9 times just for something of use? I mean, it could help a lot in the beginning, but once you have animals and grain to breed them, you don't really need much of anything. You can just kick back and relax and go up the tech tree whenever you want. I suppose It'll help if you want to go to colored steel asap, but will it be really needed?

Could always do the maggot thing that was suggested, and use them to bait fishing rods for a higher chance for fish, as well as nerf fishing a bit

Why not rework fishing entirely, with maggots as possible bait? I'll put some thought into that and post a second topic sometime between now and tomorrow night.

you could have more than one thing drop from them.

sometimes they could drop rotting flesh...use that with straw in a 2x2x2 pit and get the compost you were speaking of.also creats a few worms and magots. think of a fertilizer verion of charcol making.

sometimes they could drop rotten bones, which could be used to make glue for later projects,maybe mix the bones with some flesh and water and leave for a while?

and then there are the cloth scraps/ leather fragments and/or possably frayed cloth. which could be used for padding things, packing things..maybe they burn well and could be used as paper can be used, to help start fires.

instead of using paper use scrapped cloth as a tinder to help start fires?

Like, i said before, there's a problem with using zombie flesh and bones as fertilizer,

they're not just rotting, they're infected with some kinda nasty zombifying dissease, or else with some spooky dark voodoo sorcery that reanimates them,

not a good idea to stick that into your crops.

Like, i said before, there's a problem with using zombie flesh and bones as fertilizer,

they're not just rotting, they're infected with some kinda nasty zombifying dissease, or else with some spooky dark voodoo sorcery that reanimates them,

not a good idea to stick that into your crops.

So, if we use rotten flesh as fertilizer, we'll get dead crops, zombie crops, or voodoo crops. Not anything I wan't to eat.....

But if rotten flesh has a zombie disease, voodoo curse, or whatever, and it can spread to plants after you do stuff with it...

doesn't that mean all things that once touched zombie flesh for a long enough time(say, everything dropped from a zombie) will also be infected with the zombie disease/voodoo curse ?

pig and chicken food -- they'll eat anything

Also, I think dogs are being rebalanced, so there will be a use for them.

Sorry to necro, but we have to remember that zombies will be moved underground, so that solves the problem of the drops being op, but also stops their drops being useful early on in game.

The first time i notice how many rotten flesh i have in minecraft i thought 'What insane mind have my character that make he take away small portions of zombies with it.' I think that rotten flesh isn't a suitable drop for zombies. I think the dont need to drop anything at all (except weapons and armor if they wear them) And imagine you like hey, i just kill a zombie soy i going to take her ragged t-shirt with me. I dont see a sutable drop for a zombie (at least you are studying dark magic or something like it)

Once there are new predator mobs in the overworld, it could be used to attract them (to hunt) or to throw aside to draw their attention when they chase you

But unless it's a hyena or something I highly doubt it'll go for rotten zombie flesh.

Maybe as some kind of poisoned meat to leave out so animals can eat it and die?(take care of pests and wolves that like to ruin your farming)