Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aeroc

Nerf Water Stream Blocks

12 posts in this topic

So a few days ago I added a waterfall with two water source blocks near our server's spawntown and today it became winter and our waterfall grew a little:

Posted Image

This is around an hour later:

Posted Image

The problem is that water stream blocks freeze to ice, which become water source blocks when they melt during day. And so in a short time, you can have 2 water source blocks grow into an out of control mess.

Uuuh, that is no good. Try breaking the ice in creative mode when winter comes.

I want to say I remember seeing this changed so that ice only melts to finite blocks.. but I can't remember if it was in 78 or not.

That concerns me a little - If ice melts only into finite blocks, doesn't that dry up shallow lakes or streams which freeze? 

Dig some digging and found the commit. Only ice that is above sea-level will melt into finite water. So you don't have to worry about oceans or the majority of bodies of water freezing dry.

Edit: I realize the other implications of this, for example aeroc's waterfall would instead disappear after the first winter. I know dunk recently overhauled a bunch of the ice code, will look into making sure mechanics like this work properly.

Can't it be made so water flow blocks don't freeze, or so water flow blocks freeze into a 'flowing ice' block that melts into a flow block instead of a source block?

Most likely it will be the first scenario. Flowing water won't freeze, only source will freeze and therefore only ice will melt into sources.

Well....I hate to say it but it was kinda fun wrangling with it (but once was enough!).  It took 3 1/2 people in creative over 5 hours to fix it.  It was very much like fighting a forest fire, something I am quite familiar with.

Yeah, the ice work I've been doing looks into this. As far as I've seen, finite water doesn't exist anymore. However, this does need to be addressed. If flowing water didn't freeze, I might be able to make it so that the freezing source block at the top of the waterfall would cut off the flow, making the waterfall stop during these times. This is probably the best option, because ice thaws at different rates, trying to record the flow direction in the meta of the ice block, having it recreate itself when it melts, leading to random bits of flowing water; I don't think it will work out. I'll have to do some tests.

You can't have all metadata required to store the flow on ice blocks without turning them into tile entities, I don't think. Or without complicating the freezing and melting code to the point of no-return (which I personally would do, though I think this is a bad idea in general). So it's gotta be vanilla mechanics, Notch did this for a reason, at the end of the day.

A work around would be only source can freeze, that way the water will stop flowing and nightmares like that would end.

Another thing I thought of is freezing of all of the water, but with a twist - to have an ice tile entity that looks just like the water block that was in its place a moment ago, and shill provides a water flow forwards, and "consumes" the water that flows into it. It freezes starting at a source block (at this point water will not stop flowing, mind you, and progresses at a reasonable pace down the stream freezing it. In the end it will look almost exactly like waterfall that got frozen.

Melting starts from the lowest point and progresses up to the source. (All this back and forth is to avoid floating ice in the middle).

You probably had a hard time parsing what I just said. And it's quite a bit of work to do properly.

The thing is - I saw a frozen waterfall, and there's plenty of those around the world. Though waterfalls might indeed stop during winter, it's not because something froze, it's because something is stopped melting.