Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

How to solve the lose of crops in winter.

35 posts in this topic

Hello TFC comunnity!

I am here to tell that I like to play in snowy areas a bit, because I live this kind of biomes, but there is a problem with living there, my crops die too frequently, as I play on servers where time flows regardless of if I'm on or not. and to avoid that I have to be on like around 8 RL hours, staying up late, that isn't good to my health IRL. However I come up with some solutions for this big problem:

1. Instead of dropping the dying crops as an item, make them a dead crop block, that would drop the same thing it would as if it was alive, meaning that if it was young and it died the dead block drops the seed. And if it was full stage and it died the crop leaves the harvest.

2. Change default year length to 360. That way most servers will have them and it won't be necessary to switch them every time.

Hope that can solve my issue, thanks if you read and please comment.

1. That doesn't seem very beliveable to me... If a crop dies because it's buried in snow, and then sits around for a couple of days/weeks before you dig it up, would the fruits of that crop (seeds/harvest) not be ruined (Soggy, Moldy, etc)?

2. The default year length is set to the current value because that's what Bioxx believes is a good rate for a player (even single player) to experience all of the seasons without logging endless hours into the game.

I suggest that if you want have crops that survive the winter, make sure that they are young around the time when the first snowfall hits, they are considered a "hardy" crop, and place a transparent block that cannot accumulate snow (torch, trapdoor, sign) above it. There is currently a game mechanic that will grind the growth rate of that crop to a halt until the area warms up, but it will not kill the plant.

For some reason the trapdoors accumulate snow. My base is somewhere around -25k , and its under the ice cap. I constantly have to clear my vents for my forges as they get covered in snow. and plants pop off the ground when it gets around 1C.Torches and other small blocks like saplings are destroyed by snowfall

And what constitutes "hardy".... cant even grow potatoes up here, even when its warm

Onions, Cabbage, Garlic and Carrots are the four "Hardy" crops.. and should not pop off when it is cold. I will add this to the wiki for future reference.

Still, there are other more important crops than those. Wheat, barley, corn... How I do to grow that. It isn't believable the use of signs above them, don't they?

Onions, Cabbage, Garlic and Carrots are the four "Hardy" crops.. and should not pop off when it is cold. I will add this to the wiki for future reference.

--

Regarding that, I once lost all my cabbages two times and had to import more thanks to winter.

1. That doesn't seem very beliveable to me... If a crop dies because it's buried in snow, and then sits around for a couple of days/weeks before you dig it up, would the fruits of that crop (seeds/harvest) not be ruined (Soggy, Moldy, etc)?

2. The default year length is set to the current value because that's what Bioxx believes is a good rate for a player (even single player) to experience all of the seasons without logging endless hours into the game.

I suggest that if you want have crops that survive the winter, make sure that they are young around the time when the first snowfall hits, they are considered a "hardy" crop, and place a transparent block that cannot accumulate snow (torch, trapdoor, sign) above it. There is currently a game mechanic that will grind the growth rate of that crop to a halt until the area warms up, but it will not kill the plant.

--

1. I don't mean they bury in snow, I mean if the death of the crop is caused due to -0 temps.

2. It isn't necessary to experience the 4 seasons of the game in short time. If you make it so that it needs more time, the players will be incited to keep playing TFC the next day and such.

Greenhouses are good, encased glass structures immune to winter... Sounds nice!

Hey dud, have you played the 365day year versions? did you harvested crops on these versions? I didn't, and I play most of my free time, at the time I was deep on TFC at some of theese versions crops and animals were working related to the year lenght, and was nightmare!

imagine to wait 120 days to get your wheat harvested? 6 months to get your little sheep (disconsidering the animal offspring related bugs at the time) remenber these days and reconsider you 360day year idea...

Hey dud, have you played the 365day year versions? did you harvested crops on these versions? I didn't, and I play most of my free time, at the time I was deep on TFC at some of theese versions crops and animals were working related to the year lenght, and was nightmare!

imagine to wait 120 days to get your wheat harvested? 6 months to get your little sheep (disconsidering the animal offspring related bugs at the time) remenber these days and reconsider you 360day year idea...

--

Well, you that don't play on servers, it's heilish to lose crops in winter, and I see having the animals too easy with this year length. I prefer 360 by far. And about the wheat, for some reasons there are large farms of them: to survive a Loooooooooong year... No I won't reconsider my idea.

Is there a way to change the long of the year? I don't think that's so hard to script it. There has to be a variable which gives you the length of a year.

Is there a way to change the long of the year? I don't think that's so hard to script it. There has to be a variable which gives you the length of a year.

Yes, it is a config option. The problem is that both the server and the client must have matching configs, or clients will crash randomly.

Option: yearLength Default Value: 96

Description: The number of days in a year. Must be a multiple of 12. Values greater than 360 will cause crop growth issues.

yeah, server-play considered 360d year is not a bad idea, but I still fell better with the scaled year, probably is for the best the way it is, maybe it's easyer to you to push this idea at your server...

Peace ;P

yeah, server-play considered 360d year is not a bad idea, but I still fell better with the scaled year, probably is for the best the way it is, maybe it's easyer to you to push this idea at your server...

Peace ;P

--

Agree with you, but I wish most servers had this yearlength.

I didn't read the whole thing, but greenhouse?

A greenhouse is demanding to manage, people will have to use a big amount of wood to maintain their temperature to a value good to farming.. a solution to that could be including a lava pool (with proper ventilation windows to cool down temperature a bit) or a hot spring to the greenhouse so one could use earth thermal power to keep the greenhouse warm enough :D

A greenhouse is demanding to manage, people will have to use a big amount of wood to maintain their temperature to a value good to farming.. a solution to that could be including a lava pool (with proper ventilation windows to cool down temperature a bit) or a hot spring to the greenhouse so one could use earth thermal power to keep the greenhouse warm enough :D

--

Maybe use torches/firepits/forges?

Hotsprings is the only option i think is believable.

Kind of like how the romans back then used hot air to heat their houses e.g. in england back then...

One would need some way of "conducting" the heat into or under the greenhouse. Maybe let the hot water flow thru it. Tho that would require some sort of pump...

One would need some way of "conducting" the heat into or under the greenhouse. Maybe let the hot water flow thru it. Tho that would require some sort of pump...

Copper pipes and something similar to bellows, mounted to a rotating arm, with a yolk that could be fitted on horse, mules, or my dream of oxen.

Yes, I dream of electric oxen.

I just wanna throw my support to the Greenhouse idea, and also wanna say, that you really don't need a heater for greenhouses in basically anywhere that isn't tundra or arctic. Glass, if I understand correctly, is actually a pretty good insulator, though much more importantly it keeps out the wind, meaning that the air within is more stagnant, so any heat from the sun that ends up inside of it is insulated inside AND isn't blown away by the wind.

This is even more effective if the glass is double-layered, as air is actually a great insulator when it's not moving around, and plus material differentials also slow down heat transfer.

Although, since this is a game, I think that even just making glass not collect snow and make crops ignore it when they check for sky access (assuming they don't ignore it already). would be more then enough.

I would also like to lend support to the green house idea, it would not mess with the whole year length thing, and it would work well for both single and multiplayers, especially multiplayers. 

Maybe they could be done by the crops not being affected by temperatures when surrounded by wood or glass, and covered with glass. I for one would like a wooden, windowed and walled green house, or even stone, there were stone green houses in the colonial age (go to Mount Vernon).

Green houses do not drastically warm the plants, just somewhat insulate and protect from the wind, snow, etc. 

Though for the game I do think that you should have torches or something in your green house. And that the green house would be made of allot of glass.

I came on here thinking a green house could be, would be a long shot, yet this conversion is complex enough to support it. So I thought I would look it up. I guess I will begin with, greenhouses are designed to insulate and trap heat from the sun. The average greenhouse temperature, in a cold area, is 10` warmer than the outside temp during winter. In summer, it's 50` warmer than the outside temperature. This is the average temp. differential without mechanical assistance. Campfires, pit fires, forges, and charcoal pits are more than believable, they are facts. In many ancient to pre-industrial cultures around the world, people would build greenhouses,(without glass), and use said methods to keep the temperature in these buildings warmer. To cure, ferment, and/or protect foods from outside conditions.

I agree that greenhouses would make an excellent addition to the game, and wouldn't need to be as complex as some of these suggestions, so it would be easier on those who are writing the code. If the coders feel up to the challenge, the advancement of greenhouse technology through the ages would go perfect with their already brillant theme.

An example; thatch buildings require man made fires. Through progression of the ages, thatch, wood, stone, and glass greenhouses. Would start with simple mechanics building up to thermal, and/or transported steam through a pipe systems.

I am about to hit my first winter, and I am concerned that my crops will not survive. I take my time, I don't rush through game play. I didn't get to the agricultural part of the guide until late summer. That's when I realized the depth of complexity that this conversion offers. I haven't played most of the day, real life circumstances a side, I don't know what to do about my young crops. Of course I will continue to search for answers. If there are any willing veterans, all suggestions about my impending issue, are appreciated.

I like the greenhouses as long as they are balanced.  No way should a player have 15 acre greenhouses.  They should be expensive/difficult to build in order to keep them small.  Also, they should require a mechanism like fertilizer to restore the nutrients in the soil since they are not exposed to the normal sun, rains, etc.

In cold climates they would be worth the effort but in warmer climates they would yield too little benefit for too great a cost.

I like the dead crop thing a lot, it could just be added as additional growth stage to the texture so they are all kinda different, and as far as the dying from sitting to long, thats a config option right now, but they just do the seed drop thing. 

The green house thing is nice, and agree with the balance issue, maybe it could only have certain crops grow in it as well to better balance it, and instead of an a multiblock that's able to be made bigger it has a set size