Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

How to solve the lose of crops in winter.

35 posts in this topic

A greenhouse is demanding to manage, people will have to use a big amount of wood to maintain their temperature to a value good to farming.. a solution to that could be including a lava pool (with proper ventilation windows to cool down temperature a bit) or a hot spring to the greenhouse so one could use earth thermal power to keep the greenhouse warm enough :D

A greenhouse really doesn't take that much to manage.  Haven't you ever heard of the greenhouse effect?  It's the reason that your car feels like a sauna on cool summer day, though a car bleeds heat too fast to know the difference in winter.

As to the rest of the thread:Why not differentiate between annuals that need to have their seeds recovered and harvested, which should be an option from harvesting them, and perennials which will over-winter under ground?

You can always just put glass on top of a crop farm

I think greenhouses may be implemented along with the body temperature update. It wouldn't make sense if you built a closed shelter filled with torches and have it not heat up. It would require the player to wear warm clothes inside or outside. Of course, it would be a pain to program. So, if the feature of closed heat inside buildings is true, it would be possible to build greenhouses. This would prevent massive greenhouses as most of the floor would go to torches to heat up the large amount of air blocks inside.

I think greenhouses may be implemented along with the body temperature update. It wouldn't make sense if you built a closed shelter filled with torches and have it not heat up. It would require the player to wear warm clothes inside or outside. Of course, it would be a pain to program. So, if the feature of closed heat inside buildings is true, it would be possible to build greenhouses. This would prevent massive greenhouses as most of the floor would go to torches to heat up the large amount of air blocks inside.

Changes to ambient temperature are based solely on proximity to the heat source. There is absolutely no way to determine if the block is "inside" or "outside" and as such it does not affect the calculations. A wall of torches will affect the ambient temperature of the blocks around in the exact same way no matter if that wall is in an "enclosed" area, or it's just a wall standing out in the open on its own.

Maybe a special heat absorbing glass? made with glass and coal to make heat absorbing glass. and the greenhouse idea could be crops in a 3x3 area for the green house and it has to be a 3x3 crop pattern no more no less to work and you have to ventulate it so that in the summer the greenhouse water doesnt evaporate

The ability for greenhouses to being able to have a large temperature differential from the outside to the inside is a fair bit outside the time frame of TFC, which iirc stretches to about the 14th century. As far as using ambient temperature to grow/keep crops alive, we'll have to see how it is implemented. TFC goes for believability so a heat absorbing glass made with coal is most likely not going to be considered.

Want to throw in my support for the "dead crop" stage of growth, yielding the seeds, and in some cases (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, rutabaga and perhaps soy beans) the crop.

Seeds buried below snow will not become moldy or soggy and generally seeds can survive quite harsh conditions. Of course you shouldn't be able to harvest edible bell peppers from under a cubic metre of snow, but the seeds should still be there.

That would solve the main gameplay issue - the long-term loss of seeds.

EDIT: As someone who has done a little bit of year around gardening and a whole lot of dumpster diving, in my experience vegetables are quite tough in regards to temperatures, at least the more "hard" ones like root vegetables. But even tomatoes and bell pepper, while they become dull and not a pleasure to eat, are still edible.

Perhaps dead crops could yield the seeds, and the crop with a random amount of spoilage? (5-25% for the roots and allium, 10-50% for the beans, squash and cabbage, 20-100% for the tomatoes and peppers)

Want to throw in my support for the "dead crop" stage of growth, yielding the seeds, and in some cases (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, rutabaga and perhaps soy beans) the crop.

Seeds buried below snow will not become moldy or soggy and generally seeds can survive quite harsh conditions. Of course you shouldn't be able to harvest edible bell peppers from under a cubic metre of snow, but the seeds should still be there.

That would solve the main gameplay issue - the long-term loss of seeds.

There's already a config option to let crops die of old age. It's just off by default because it makes the game too hard by default.

As for the "main gameplay issue - the long-term loss of seeds." I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. How are you losing your seeds? When a crop dies, whether of old age or cold, or whatnot, the seeds become a block on the ground just like the sticks/rocks/ore that you find, and it cannot despawn.

There's already a config option to let crops die of old age. It's just off by default because it makes the game too hard by default.

As for the "main gameplay issue - the long-term loss of seeds." I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. How are you losing your seeds? When a crop dies, whether of old age or cold, or whatnot, the seeds become a block on the ground just like the sticks/rocks/ore that you find, and it cannot despawn.

I know about that config option, I was talking about crops dying of cold.

Oh, sorry, haven't had my first winter since starting to play again; I remembered them as dropping as item entities that can despawn, and that's what the OP also hinted at (having to import new cabbage seeds). Then there's no main gameplay issue :P

I know about that config option, I was talking about crops dying of cold.

Oh, sorry, haven't had my first winter since starting to play again; I remembered them as dropping as item entities that can despawn, and that's what the OP also hinted at (having to import new cabbage seeds). Then there's no main gameplay issue :P

The OP was written over a year ago, before 79 or even 78 released. A lot has changed since then, so you should always check the change log to make sure the things you are suggesting weren't already implemented in the time since the OP was posted.