Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
akbalox

coal coke, use for that ton of coal

14 posts in this topic

Hey, I was always bothered that we can't use coal in our bloomeries.

I understand that the charcoal making sistem gotta be used, it's one of the coolest things in TFC!!

I've though if we could have a late game fuel for the bloomery it would be awesome! (and kinda realistic I think)

just trow the difficulty of the crafting up to brick hard!

Here is my own crafting Idea for the Coal Coke

(coal and charcoal need to be grinded to dust like flour)

coal dust + charcoal dust + limewater bucket = wet coal coke

wet coal coke can be stacked on ground like charcoal

this need to be dryed in the charcoal pit, but the max pit size is 3x3x3

these dry coal coke blocks can be harvested for 2x coal coke than charcoal blocks (full block gives you 16 coal coke)

It's basically a system to turn your coal into bloomery fuel, without making charcoal pits obsolete.

Implementing this would make me a very happy Steve!

;P

I  think that method would be pain. Instead, we could have a coke oven, Railcraft style. Throw lignite or bituminous coal in, wait, and BOOM, coke. Coke should last slightly shorter than charcoal to balance things out. Finally, the last link to my full underground late-game city. Kinda like Erebor.

Personally, I feel the coke oven some OP, but, in fact I don't know the real process to do coal coke, I was thinking in a hard process to do a better fuel, but in fact reading it now, this process is insanely though!

maybe breaking the stuff with a hammer, then cooked in a coal kiln, i've found it in the wikipedia, but it don't really fit TFC's timeline (if it's based in european development)

Beehive coke ovenA fire brick chamber shaped like a dome is used, commonly known as a beehive oven. It is typically between 4 meters wide and 2.5 meters high. The roof has a hole for charging the coal or other kindling from the top. The discharging hole is provided in the circumference of the lower part of the wall. In a coke oven battery, a number of ovens are built in a row with common walls between neighboring ovens. A battery consisted of a great many ovens, sometimes hundreds of ovens, in a row.[17]Coal is introduced from the top to produce an even layer of about 60 to 90 centimeters deep. Air is supplied initially to ignite the coal. Carbonization starts and produces volatile matter, which burns inside the partially closed side door. Carbonization proceeds from top to bottom and is completed in two to three days. Heat is supplied by the burning volatile matter so no by-products are recovered. The exhaust gases are allowed to escape to the atmosphere. The hot coke is quenched with water and discharged, manually through the side door. The walls and roof retain enough heat to initiate carbonization of the next charge.When coal was burned in a coke oven, the impurities of the coal not already driven off as gases accumulated to form slag, which was effectively a conglomeration of the removed impurities. Since it was not the desired coke product, slag was initially nothing more than an unwanted by-product and was discarded. Later, however, it was found to have many beneficial uses and has since been used as an ingredient in brick-making, mixed cement, granule-covered shingles, and even as a fertilizer.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#Production

Could make a process for the giggles to make a powerful fuel that is labor intensive.Do the whole process you said where you grind coal and mix with water.

Then you have to grind the dried result then mix with another coal slurry- gives you a stage 2 mix.

put this in another pit to dry again.

then harvest to get chunks

then craft with a hammer to get usable coke pieces

--

uses for the final product

--

Burns hotter and longer than coal or charcoal- meaning that a furnace bloomery or blast furnace would need less fuel and less bellow work to get and stay hot

can be crafted with arrows to make tipped arrows- allowing the arrow to be lit at any source of fire- so that you can lightup areas and burn things hit

Generally the process to make coal coke is the same process as making charcoal: You burn it in the absence of oxygen. As a result, the impurities that can burn without oxygen do so and remove themselves, while the raw carbon remains behind as there is no oxygen for it to form CO2 with. Coal coke and charcoal are ultimately almost identical substances - a whole lot of 99% pure carbon.

(This, incidentally, is the reason you use charcoal or coke in forges and blast furnaces instead of natural coal. What we call "steel" is an iron/carbon alloy, and natural coal is not pure enough carbon to make it work. And when working with metal in a forge, you don't want to get it all sooty, forge byproducts into your blade and smoke yourself to coughing. You want the smokeless flame and heat of a pure carbon/oxygen reaction.)

So for all intents and purposes, coal coke in TFC would be a direct charcoal equivalent. It would be produced the same way, and be used for the same applications. For the most simplistic approach, if coal was placeable in the world like charcoal currently is, you could build it into stacks and cover it with a dirt mound, just like you stack wood to make charcoal. The coal would burn twice as long, and upon completion return about 75% of the inserted coal as coal coke. You dig it up with a shovel just like charcoal and use it just like charcoal.

Generally the process to make coal coke is the same process as making charcoal: You burn it in the absence of oxygen. As a result, the impurities that can burn without oxygen do so and remove themselves, while the raw carbon remains behind as there is no oxygen for it to form CO2 with. Coal coke and charcoal are ultimately almost identical substances - a whole lot of 99% pure carbon.

(This, incidentally, is the reason you use charcoal or coke in forges and blast furnaces instead of natural coal. What we call "steel" is an iron/carbon alloy, and natural coal is not pure enough carbon to make it work. And when working with metal in a forge, you don't want to get it all sooty, forge byproducts into your blade and smoke yourself to coughing. You want the smokeless flame and heat of a pure carbon/oxygen reaction.)

So for all intents and purposes, coal coke in TFC would be a direct charcoal equivalent. It would be produced the same way, and be used for the same applications. For the most simplistic approach, if coal was placeable in the world like charcoal currently is, you could build it into stacks and cover it with a dirt mound, just like you stack wood to make charcoal. The coal would burn twice as long, and upon completion return about 75% of the inserted coal as coal coke. You dig it up with a shovel just like charcoal and use it just like charcoal.

well, simple and easy, maintain the charcoal pit mechanics in-game, gives use to the humongous amount of coal generated undergrownd, I like it, and in fact, mineral coal was a extremely usefull resource taking charcoal obsolete to industrial uses were it become available (because of price related reasons)

it' a question of balance at last reasoning, I do believe the amounts of coal underground are a little OP, but with this mechanic, all unprocessed coal should be useless, balances its work intensiveness just like charcoal, only difference is that you can have some chests of coal ready to burn at the side of your pit.

Rather than a simple pit in the ground, we could build Beehive ovens, which were used for cooking food. But not only that, they were also used to make coke. When the impurities from the coal burnt inside the oven, the impurities (as gasses) make slag, which as fertilisers and concrete.  

I dont think unproccessed coal should be useless, but it should be inferior to charcoal or coke. I like the idea of simply placing the coke in a pile, covering it, and burning it like charcoal. In real life, coke is used more to make steel, though charcoal would work. The avalablity of coal should determine which you use. Also, diferent types of coal and maybe even peat should be able to be turned into coke, but different types of coal should give different amounts of coke per coal. Peat should give a very low amount of coke per amount of peat.

It should be noted that natural coal isn't useless in TFC... it works fine as forge fuel. It just can't be used for the bloomery or blast furnace because it isn't pure enough.

I was keeping in mind that natural unprocessed coal is not a good fuel (make alot of smoke) and people didn't used it unprocessed, they used charcoal instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29

Some tips:

The Chinese first used coke for heating and cooking no later than the ninth century.

Beehive Oven

Used in blast furnaces

Coke-Bit smoke Bitominous coal- lots of smoke

Gas byproduct and Tar.

Talking about it, you need Tar to better ships and it have more uses. (Black Dye)

Also tar can be made out of peat

This isn't completely correct. Coal isn't used for smelting because it typically contains a good deal of sulfur and related impurities, which iron readily absorbs when molten or being reduced from an oxide in a bloomery. However, coal is used quite extensively in forges; coal on the edges of your forge is heated and coked from burning coal/coke in the centre. You really don't need to worry about your workpiece absorbing impurities unless it's starting to melt in the fire (which can happen). Soot isn't really a problem as it will just burn off/can be scrubbed off.

Raw coal is far from useless. If you ask me, a good way of balancing this is to make mining it more difficult.

Source: I have dabbled in blacksmithing myself and have used a coal fired forge personally.

Ah, I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware of forges having that effect. Very interesting to know!

The 'beehive' oven isn't too different from the charcoal pits we use right now. Same with the Coke Oven.

If you could place Coal down in a construction like a charcoal pit. Perhaps with a centre block that provides more heat/longer burning time than starting a fire pit. A stack or two of charcoal w/ fire bit on top for example.

Coal then reduces down to lower quantities of Coke to kind of balance out it's versatility. For fuel efficiency (whatever is placed as the centre block) building larger, permanent, ovens will be necessary in the long run for a large settlement. Coal Coke shouldn't be too imballanced however. It is a limited resource, and still requires a bit of work. Evolving from foresting for charcoal to mining up natural coal as you advance in technology has a natural feel to it's progression... Provided you have access a coal seam. If you do, you may as well get a boon from it!

If we want to keep things gamey. Charcoal could be converted into Coke the same way. Simplifying fuel storage.