Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PaoloEmilio

Cats, Rabbits and other Pets

47 posts in this topic

I came up with an idea peps!

First, apart of only the dog, I suggest other kinds of pets.

Cats

My RL favorite pet, the cat is originary from Egypt, so I suggest in the mod it could be found in hot deserts/plains. They begin at bigger, and neutral and once tamed with fish they are passive. With each generation they go as small as the domesticated cats we know today. Because it's my favorite animal, if you kill one then an NPC with my skin and name will spawn and kill the responsible player. (Joke). If dead the cat will only drop bones. To make cats tameable in the stone age make an alternative recipe for the fishing rod. (Will discuss that in another thread).

Rabbits

Always passive, rabbits can be found in plains living in holes in the ground, known as their burrows. To domesticate a rabbit, feed them either cabbage, potato, onion or carrot. Almost any hard vegetable. Rabbits should run away from the player unless it is sneaking. If a rabbit is killed it should drop a single rabbit meat and some bones.

Parrots

Parrots are found in the jungle flying. To tame them, you must either lure them with grain or catch them in the air. If you catch it in the air it should attack you with it's peak, damaging you a bit. To keep a parrot you need a cage. As parrots can repeat human sounds you could "teach" them certain statements or words. If you are within five blocks of the parrot you have a chance of whatever you say he repeats you. In order to avoid spamming on a server employ a local chat just like in mytown. Parrots should always have this chat, that could have a range of 20 blocks for the parrot and the 5 blocks for the player. You could also place the parrot in your shoulder. If dead it drops a single parrot meat, bones and some feathers.

Alternative dog breeds

Due to the different types of dogs, maybe other wild animals of the family Canis like coyotes, foxes or wild chihuahuas could be. Tamed with meat, same drops as wolf. Also, wolves could come in different colors, like brown, black and golden. (Golden retrievers color for example, not a golden dog :P )

Hawks

Hawks spawn almost everywhere in the sky, but jungles. To catch a hawk lure it with some grain until it becomes friendly.  A good use for hawks could be sending them to hunt for you. If dead it drops feathers, bones and meat.

Well that's all folks, hope you like!

Hey, just saying, but if rabbits drop meat, what's to prevent players for breeding rabbits for food?

But I'd like a pet fox :)

Well I like it!.

But I think pet's should be smart. Other then just sit/attack/follow, they should be able to hunt(somewhat), carry items, etc

Rather than having the pets reduce in size over generations, it should be breed like cows and such. Honestly i would rather have packs of cats the size of horses patrolling my fields

Hey, just saying, but if rabbits drop meat, what's to prevent players for breeding rabbits for food?

But I'd like a pet fox :)

Well I like it!.

But I think pet's should be smart. Other then just sit/attack/follow, they should be able to hunt(somewhat), carry items, etc

Foxes make terrible pets, as they tend to make rather widespread messes. And they're intelligent enough to be good at escaping simple enclosures. Just saying :) (If I had the means and the time to devote to it, I'd want one too.)

Overall, I'm not sure what pets would open up to TFC. On Vanilla even wolves tended to be less useful in many situations, though I did have my "kitty door warden" which would keep creepers out of my enclosure.

Foxes make terrible pets....

I used to have a pet fox. they make awesome pets. Kinda like a cross between a dog and a cat. You just gotta train them right and give them plenty of room to run around.

----- does not endorse going to the woods to get own fox-------- 

--

That is kinda inhumane... I mean that when you hunt rabbits, not when you farm them.

Anyways keep commenting! Don't be as bad as with my organic fertilizer post.

An easy potential solution to cats:

b78 includes Jungle biomes, from what I've seen. If the vanilla ocelots could spawn there, they would be tamable into pet cats with fish.

Omicron, on 27 Jan 2014 - 5:30 PM, said:An easy potential solution to cats: b78 includes Jungle biomes, from what I've seen. If the vanilla ocelots could spawn there, they would be tamable into pet cats with fish.

but all the other pets......Anyways, I think pets should be more than entertainment or for looks(well, maybe the rabbit, but...)Pets should be able to fish, hunt, defend, etcI mean, it'd be cool to have a pet hawk and have it attack that zombie/player/rabbit/whatever 30 meters away,or to have a pet wolf/dog/fox/canine thing ripping your enemies to pieces.They could be purely for looks, but if so, I think lots of people will be likeHey, I got a pet, and it's cute, and I'm going to make it sit in my house for all of eternity and a day because it's more-or-less furry furniture.(the fate of many a vanilla wolf)

Anyways, I think pets should be more than entertainment or for looks(well, maybe the rabbit, but...)Pets should be able to fish, hunt, defend, etcI mean, it'd be cool to have a pet hawk and have it attack that zombie/player/rabbit/whatever 30 meters away,or to have a pet wolf/dog/fox/canine thing ripping your enemies to pieces.They could be purely for looks, but if so, I think lots of people will be likeHey, I got a pet, and it's cute, and I'm going to make it sit in my house for all of eternity and a day because it's more-or-less furry furniture.(the fate of many a vanilla wolf)

--

Lol, poor wolves, well, maybe dogs can be used as load animals to transport goods, or use them for transportation, like if you got no horses. And cats could be used to hunt mice (if they are ever added). Hawks could be good too.

I like the dog breed, and maybe different breeds have different attributes.

I like the dog breed, and maybe different breeds have different attributes.

--

Yeah, like:-Chihuahuas make hostile mobs/wild animals in the future stay away scared (that happens IRL, believe me, I have a little chihuahua that makes bigger dogs run away).

-German shepard literally helps you in herding animals, carry stuff in small carts and sleds in case you got no horses and fighting mobs

-Swiss white shepard (already coded if you have imagination :P ) helps you in the same stuff as the German white shepard

-Bulldogs, mastiffs, pitbulls and great danes attack hostile mobs/wild animals

You should lure hawks with meat, not grain.

Anyways animals should be tamable in the beginning(well, not right away, but close enough),

and help you survive until you can be self-sustaining

and they should be able to fight well, and not run off cliffs/into fire/cacti/push you off cliffs/etc

And most of all, you should not need to have 50~70 of them just to insure that they don't all end up dead

--

Yeah, like:-Chihuahuas make hostile mobs/wild animals in the future stay away scared (that happens IRL, believe me, I have a little chihuahua that makes bigger dogs run away).

It's like i used to tell smaller recruits when i was a drill instructer " its's not the size of the warrior, its the size of the fight in the warrior"

This doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. And people could have some more early game food sources, as well as a more alive wilderness. It'd be good to have pets for reasons other than murdering those around you (like wolves do…). 

Rabbits will make an excellent food source, they should be common, easy to breed, and they give plenty of baby bunnies which will turn into a delicious rabbit stew, yum

Hey, I got an idea.

How about for the more 'hostile' animals(hawk, [possibly]cat, wolf, fox, etc)

You can't tame the grown animal, but instead have to find a young baby or egg and tame that instead

But the adults will be hostile towards you, and try to protect the young(kill you if you approach) so you have to lure them away/kill them before you can tame the young

Sounds good, a little like the mo creatures wyverns

yea, sorta

I always thought it'd be nice if we could tame all creatures in minecraft.

But then, it means you can avoid combat by taming all mobs that try to kill you.

So I thought, hey, what if each mob had a baby that you could tame?

I figured that even peaceful mobs should attack you when you approach it's young/egg,

and if a hostile mob young sees a mob of the same kind attack you, it'll attack you as well.

A egg will just sit there, break when you hit it/walk over it, but you could right-click to pick it up,

and when it hatches, it will 'bond' with the nearest creature(or simply put, if you are the closest to it when it hatches, you get to have it)

So you have to separate young from the older animals, then tame it/hatch the egg, and you can tame all mobs.

Obviously, hostiles will be much harder to tame.

one problem though. Pet creepers. Zombies and skeletons would be like throwaway soldiers guarding larger area where you dont want to spam torches. But creepers are know for only one thing.....

one problem though. Pet creepers. Zombies and skeletons would be like throwaway soldiers guarding larger area where you dont want to spam torches. But creepers are know for only one thing.....

Ssssssssssssiege!

I think breeding rabbits would be fun. And it would be a reliable food source, too, as they breed like... rabbits?

Although you will die from protein poisoning if you eat nothing but rabbit for lengthened periods of time.

Although you will die from protein poisoning if you eat nothing but rabbit for lengthened periods of time.

Gives me an idea.........

But rabbits could be a easy meal-making ingredient, and a pig replacement(that needs less space)

--

That is kinda inhumane... I mean that when you hunt rabbits, not when you farm them.

Anyways keep commenting! Don't be as bad as with my organic fertilizer post.

How is rabbit hunting any different from hunting any other animals, like cows etc? Where i come from we have hunting parties go out during the night just to cull the rabbits because they have become such a pest.

Food would be great, but rabbits are hard to catch as they are quick, so it wouldn't be an easy food source.

It's like i used to tell smaller recruits when i was a drill instructer " its's not the size of the warrior, its the size of the fight in the warrior"

Drill instructor hai?

What service teaching drill?

Drill instructor hai?

What service teaching drill?

USMC, not many know the difference between a drill sgt. and a drill instructer