Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Tsuarok

TerraRustica: an HD Realistic Pack (256x, 128x, 64x, 32x)[updated 6/24//2014]

TerraRustica Usage   52 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of TerraRustica are you using?

• 256x
    • 128x
    • 64x
    • 32x
    • I do not use it.
  2. 2. Do you use Better Grass and Leaves?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

60 posts in this topic

Updated 6/24//2014

Hey guys, I'm doing a sort of prerelease here for those of you who'd like to try out the pack, so that I can start getting some feedback it. If you do download and use it, please report back with your reactions and suggestions. Positive reactions inspire me to move forward, and negative reactions will see me reviewing revising what I've done. Both are most welcome. I want to hear them all.

Oh, and if you'd like to send in any screenshots of your builds, I'd love to replace my somewhat uninspired shots with yours. I haven't had much time for building lately; the shots I have were made of structures designed to test functionality, not to be beautiful.

Most of the blocks are done, but many items and all entities are still untouched. As such, this is definitely a work in progress. My first priority will be to finish all the textures, but after that I have tons of ideas for improvements; I'll try to continue updating the pack indefinitely on a weekly or biweekly basis. You may wish to subscribe to the thread or check back now and again to get updates.

This pack relies heavily on connected textures; you'll need to use Optifine (version Optifine HD C6 works) or MCPatcher (I don't use it, so I'm not sure which version will be needed) to access these features. It will look absolutely horrible without one of these. If using Optifine, make sure connected textures is set to fancy.

The lightmap has been balanced using moody light levels. You may, of course, use whatever you wish, but I don't guarantee that things won't look odd.

The 256x pack is really quite large (most of the stone have 77 textures each, just under 3000 tiles in all), so you may need to increase the memory devoted to minecraft.

Please feel free to post with suggestions, screenshots, or comments. :)

Nagydeak has done a very nice review of the pack, be sure to give him a like!

Photos

Most of these shots are already elsewhere in this thread, but I'll put them here so that there's a common place for them

Photobucket won't let me post anymore pictures, so you'll have to follow the link to see them via Google Drive.  Sorry.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_D3hDZyNmRYWFAyX2Y0dXZNRzQ&usp=sharing

More shots have been generously provided for me to use by Nagydeak; they can be found here.

Mod Support

Client side mods (no server support required):

Better Grass and Leaves
I've added better grass files for the mod Better Grass and Leaves. Eventually I'll add his coral and such; in the meantime, you can either turn off individual features (press F10) or enjoy the native textures. In order to use the better grass texure, you'll need to modify the config file. You may do this yourself, or you can find a preconfigured config file here. I've added in the blocks for better coral, better footprints, better leaves, and better grass. Simply paste it into your config folder within your minecraft folder. In my experience, turning on the grass fx feature causes TFC to crash. If you've done this, and it crashes, you'll need to edit the config file in Notepad (or similar) to recover your game.

Photos:

Without BG&L:
Posted Image

With BG&L
Posted Image

Dynamic Lights
While this texture pack doesn't actually do anything to support this (there's no need), I can't recommend the mod Dynamic Lights enough. It adds light to handheld and dropped light emitting blocks (eg. torches). I feel that this fits very well into TFC (i.e. exploring caves or nighttime landscapes with a torch in hand). My lightmap is fairly dark at night or below ground, with the intention of increasing the usefulness of this mod.

Server Side Mods (must play solo or on a server that supports the mod)

Coming... well, not that soon really. It will be a while.

Other mod support will be considered once the base textures are completed to my satisfaction, or sooner if you can get me really excited about it. :)

Downloads
This pack was made at 256x; interpolation errors at lower resolutions may exist, especially at the 32x level. I personally use the 64x to good effect. In the future I do plan on going back over these to try and remove some of these artifacts, but my main concern is getting all the textures done at 256 first. After that I'll go back and look into improving the lower rez packs. As I've said, there are just under 3000 tiles so far, and more to come, so individually retouching the 9000+ tiles will take some time.
TerraRustica 256x (alternative) --Updated 6/24/2014
TerraRustica 128x(alternative) -- Updated 6/24/2014
TerraRustica 64x(alternative) -- Updated 6/24/2014
TerraRustica 32x(alternative) -- Updated 6/24/2014

Warning
I used a combination of a few packs to provide a framework from which I could easily edit the textures. It is my belief that I've removed all traces of these packs. However, there is the slight possibility that I've missed something. If you notice a texture (that isn't vanilla) that seems very out of place, please let me know so that I can remove it as soon as possible.

References

Licenced under creative commons licence: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en

Other (public domain or private but unrestricted):

A great variety of textures.  Check them out!

Original Post (contains more photos)

Hey guys.

Since Stone Cold is no longer being maintained, I thought I'd try and fill the niche for a high resolution, realistic resource pack. It will have somewhat heavy use of connected textures, so optifine or MCPatcher will be required. Since each texture requires at least 43 images, this will take a while, so please be patient. I did want to share with you guys some shots of the first texture I've completed, raw basalt, inspired by the basalt columns of the giant's causeway in Ireland. I hope you like it.

Posted Image

Copyright/Legal

Don't be an asshole

So, I'd forgotten just how many textures TFC has.  Creating on average 100 textures for each block will take a VERY long time.  So my new plan is to sort of release this pack in steps.  This is more or less my roadmap.

My first goal will be to just have a single texture for each block; ie, something people can use, and more importantly, give feedback on.  

Then I'll go about adding the connected textures to the blocks, in whatever order ya'll choose.

Then I'll add animated leaves and grasses and torches and such.

Then mod support.

Then maybe normal mapping if anyone is interested in it.

Let me know what your priorities are and what you're looking for in a realistic pack so that I can better serve the community.

By the way, the textures above are in 128x, since my computer simply won't load any higher textures (not really sure why).  When the time comes, I'd like some help with the 256x textures, just loading them up and taking screenshots of any problems you see.  Thanks in advance.

-Tsuarok

Sounds good, looking forward to the first release :)

I'd also like to add some biome specific textures, so that in the desert a stone might have a bit of sand in the cracks, on a beach it might be pitted (depending on type), etc.  This would add some nice transitions, integrating the materials into the biome as well as making it more realistic, but would inflate the pack enormously.  If I do it, I'll probably release it as an optional addition, like the normal maps. This would be around version 4 or 5. 

thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Sorry if this is taking a while, I really want to get it right before release. I had made all the stone, but I had to throw them out. The non-CTM blocks proved to be either completely featureless, or form these horrible grids. I've settled for a single CTM stone pattern, which has been recolored for each stone type. In future versions, I'll do unique CTM for each, but they take a bit over a week each, and I'd not like to spend several months on the raw stone alone, not until there is a usable pack first.

Of course, the Basalt will be different, as it was already done, and was way too particular to be used as a general stone texture.

I know it's been a while, so I thought I'd just post in here to let anyone who's interested know that I'm still working on this.  I just finished my lava animation, which I'm pleased with.  Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

nice lava. looking forwrd to 16x personally, just to have different textures from default

Thanks.

I'm currently optimizing for 256.  While I'll release scaled versions of this, interpolation will mess with the quality of the smaller packs a bit.  This is of course correctable, and I'll make it one of my two priorities after initial release (the other being vanilla support).  From the few tests I've run, 32x is far better than 16x, and I understand that it has a negligible effect on performance.  Just something to consider.

Nice looking textures :).

By the way, the textures above are in 128x, since my computer simply won't load any higher textures (not really sure why). When the time comes, I'd like some help with the 256x textures, just loading them up and taking screenshots of any problems you see. Thanks in advance.

It's probably the Java stack that gets full. You have to set Java/Minecraft/TFC to use more memory (but then you need more ram). 4-8GB is needed.http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1395030-tutorial-allocate-more-memory-for-minecraft/ 

I'm currently optimizing for 256.  While I'll release scaled versions of this, interpolation will mess with the quality of the smaller packs a bit.  This is of course correctable, and I'll make it one of my two priorities after initial release (the other being vanilla support).

What tools do you use to make the texures? What tools do you use to resize the texures?

Nice looking textures :).It's probably the Java stack that gets full. You have to set Java/Minecraft/TFC to use more memory (but then you need more ram). 4-8GB is needed.http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1395030-tutorial-allocate-more-memory-for-minecraft/ What tools do you use to make the texures? What tools do you use to resize the texures?

I've 5gb for minecraft, I don't think I can go higher.  I'm able to load the 256x textures one at a time in an empty resource pack, so I can see how they look in game.  I can play the 64x without a problem.  I only have integrated graphics, 6gb total memory, and an i3 processor, so I'm not able to run anything like shaders and such.  I mostly use GIMP to edit/create the textures, most of which are heavily modified photos (either taken myself or googled for images tagged as free to use and modifiable).  I've also used renders from blender a bit.

Right now I'm just doing a regular cubic resize in GIMP.  The results... vary.  After I get things finalized in 256, I'll retouch the smaller packs to remove some of the interpolation artifacts.  I'm definitely open to suggestions if you have a better method.

With the release of B78 I'm racing to get the initial release finished so that I can start getting some feedback.  Stay tuned.

Update: almost done with all the placable blocks, items will take a bit yet.

I wanted to share a few shots.

This shows thatch from the sides and top (in the ground), as well as the log piles.  When you place them while facing a certain direction, you get this log cabin texture.  All other directions give normal log piles.

Posted Image

a shot from the inside to show the bottom of the thatch and the torches:

Posted Image

And a shot of some logs so you can see that normal piles are still possible in any direction.  Also some gabbro.

Posted Image

Oh, the planks and door were maple, btw.

256x and 128x is always excessive for MC imo but I do really like the textures here. Esp the lava. Good Work! I might give 64x a go if you produce this in that format. Good luck with this.

Thanks so much.  I've been putting a lot of work into this, and the positive feedback really helps make it worth it.

I personally like the higher resolution packs, but, due to my crappy computer, the highest I'm able to load this one is at 64x.  I've been testing the 256x textures one at a time in an empty test pack, but I keep 64x current so I can see the gestalt effect of everything together; it will definitely be available on release.

This is awesome!

I really appreciate the work you put into this! Can't wait to use it. 

I LOVE high resolution realistic textures like this. Even tried to make one of my own, but i am nowhere near as good as you are. 

Thanks man, I hope to have it out pretty soon.  There are just soooooo many items... 

If I can't get them done soon I'll just release it as is and update it as I get things done; I want to get on the B78 coattails so I can get some feedback...

just started playing this mod again. i love a good realistic textures pack, and i think you're doing a good job. BTW i can easily run a 256x pack if you want me to screenshot / youtube demo it. hope to see this out soon! keep up the good work

Thanks man, I really appreciate the help.  I'll probably send it to you a week before release so that I can put up the review and some screenshots in the OP.  

Again, thanks,

-Tsuarok 

Thanks man, I'm glad you like it :)

Initial pre-release is out :)

wow, thanks man