Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CoolGuy5452

Crashes Sometimes deletes my world

8 posts in this topic

Hello, been a while since I have posted in a forum, so excuse some mistakes. So, this is the third time a crash has deleted the following files:

level.dat

level.dat_old

-------------------

Now you may say: Wouldn't this be a Vanilla Minecraft Problem?

My answer: This only happens in TerraFirmaCraft, I have never had this problem (Ok, I did have this problem once in alpha, but that was a long time ago) in Vanilla Release or Beta.

Now, I can fix it, but problem is, I lose all my items in my inventory, all of them. The ones on tool racks or chests are fine. However, it also resets your spawn, meaning I will not be where I used to be. The first time this happened was when I was placing some wooden planks, then BOOM, crash, save gone. Second time I was just mining then a cave in happened, crashed, save gone. Now I cut some sequoia trees, only for it to crash, and save gone.

I would post the error, but I closed minecraft for the day, thinking it couldn't have possibly done that again. It did.

Look, the only reason I play the current version of Minecraft is because of this mod, After 1.2.5, I started getting server lag in single player (Still do on this mod)

I was just wondering, what is causing it to delete my save? Or more specifically the level.dat. Is it the Auto-Save system? Or is it something else? I have a screen shot of the folder though in the attached file.

post-5681-0-99019100-1391519734_thumb.pn

I'm not a very technic guy, but from what I've read, it looks like your computer 'I started getting server lag in 1.2.5' I don't even want to imagine in 1.7 or in TFC :l

Yeeeah, to me, it looks like your computer is a donkey-force chariot, you can't play TFC with less than 2G allocated for max memory usage, also, minecraft is allways laggy if you're using 32bit Java version (If you're using crappy launcher, you'll need to have only  64bit java installed to run it properly)

If you're using a decent launcher you need to use this args

-Xms1G -Xmx2G

(these are minimun and maximun memory allocation args, config it's max with care for your memories, I recommend a 75% memory usage wile you play TFC (PC usage included, computer will be using this amount of memory wile you generate new chunks), with Optifine standard to have some visual configs I like, basically sun & moon on short rendering  distance)

Oh no, Its not my computer, as a matter of fact, I can run TFC just fine. About 45 to 50FPS average, it crashes after say.... 3 hours playing? Though, this hasnt answered my question, why does it keep deleting my level.dat?

Edit: Also most of the lag comes from the zombies, from what I know, in 1.6.2 (fixed in 1.6.4 I believe) if zombies cant get to their target, it will lag the internal server. Oh, and 1.7.4 on my computer has been faster than 1.6.x!

The same thing has happened to me as well. I couldn't figure out how to fix it though. I simply would back up the whole world every time I played. For me, with a decent computer, it only happened when in a LAN server (haven't tried normal server). This is more frequent if the players are far apart. On my brother's computer though, his first TFC world was deleted when he tried to cut his first tree, which happened to be a sequoya. I think this happens when the computer is having to work too hard for some reason.

You are correct in assuming that you are losing your level.dat because of the auto-save feature. Your timing just happens to be unlucky enough that the game crashes in the middle of creating the new file, resulting in the loss.

As for the 3 crashes that you mentioned, they all have to do with your computer not having enough processing power to handle when something goes wrong. In all three of these cases, a powerful enough system may lag for a short period of time, but will not completely crash.

Problems:

1. Rendering a lot of planks in a small area is very resource intensive

2. A large enough cave-in is going to cause a lot of block updates to happen at one time, along with a drastic increase in entities as all of the cobblestone falls.

3. Sequoias have been causing crashes for a very long time (hopefully finally fixed for 78). The problem was that the trunk didn't go all the way up through the leaves, and once again breaking a large enough tree would trigger a bunch of immediate block updates, which the system couldn't handle all at once.

Solutions:

1. Use plank items and detailed chiseled blocks sparingly

2. Properly support your mining areas with support beams. Never dig blocks that have air underneath them. Be especially careful in large, open areas such as cave systems.

3. Avoid sequoias altogether. Even if you find a small enough tree to chop down without crashing, they cause other problems just upon generation if they are located in a dense enough forest, and will crash your system without you even having to touch them.

I fixed it last night.

1. I only placed 10 planks, it wasnt lagging at all, it just crashed. No lag, no block lag... just a crash. It could have something to do with that windows update that was going on at the time.

2. The cave in happened because I mined a block. I heard the sound but no cobblestone, as a matter of fact, when I did the fix for this problem, the cobblestone wasnt even there. 

3. I can cut down 10 sequoias without a crash, so why avoid them?

Anyways, no need to respond to this topic anymore, I've fixed it by now, if you want to know the fix, basically you generate the world under the exact same name. Then poof your back, HOWEVER, sometimes 50/50 you can lose all your items and spawn somewhere else. No very fun, so once again, it has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with my computer. After some digging, its auto-save gone bad.

If you say it's not related to PC power, only thing left to be done is a fresh start install for minecraft and TFC, I'd bring up PC power 'cause I had the exact same issue, I fixed it by doing what I said in the other post, my PC is a intel core i3 with 4G of ram, and just a 64M onboard video card, and I do have some crashes after 2-3 hour of game too, witch I avoid by making some breaks during the gameplay (crashes occur more often if I'm travelling around generating new chunks, I crash constantly if using TP commands too), but after I've allocated 2560M max memo, I didn't got sequoia crashes anymore.(but my PC can't do any other stuff wile minecraft is running)