Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
InsaneJ

[0.79.30.925] HappyDiggers - The most popular public TFC server - Now also TechNode Firmacraft 3.7.1 (unofficial TFC)

512 posts in this topic

doomsayer1996 has been added to HC.

We've been getting a lot of Hardcore whitelist applications the past weeks.

Just to let you guys know, we're still hard at work on getting the new Hardcore world up and running and integrated into the current server. Due to the nature of TFC there are still a few things we need to sort out to make it so the transition will be as seamless as possible.

Hardcore Application:

Application:
In game username: SevenCosmo
How long have you been playing TFC: A year or so, on my own and server, stopped last fall before 79, now back on it, excited to play with the changes
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: Enjoy the harder gameplay challenge, why I play TFC. 
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Yes
How do you get to the Hard Core World?: Ship at Wallbridge outpost.
How do you return to the normal world?: umm you can't?

Thanks

Optifine for Minecraft 1.7.10 has updated to version B6. This solves an issue caused by Mojang silently updating Authlib from 1.5.16 to 1.5.21. Because of Mojang's silent update people's client would crash when they joined any server if they had Optifine installed..

You can download Optifine here: http://optifine.net/downloads

I have started the HappyDiggers TFC server migration. If all goes well we'll have two TFC servers after this. One regular and one for the Hardcore group. Both servers will be accessible via a proxy so the server IP will remain the same.

During the migration the server will be down. There's quite a lot of data that needs to be moved between servers, most of it database related. This is probably going to take an hour or two.

Sad, but is fine someone like play in your prefered way, but IMO, TFC have a high players spread and i see most player playing SSP, in  SMPservers, and dont have mechanics from servers to players need players coop, someone play in your peace of world alone or with your friends, have a little bit of interactions, because all people is independent about resources and production. 

"You may say, I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you'll join usAnd the world will be as one"

Is my opinion, i hope this dont  have problem to post.Thanks

Edited by CalangoMC

Well, you're not wrong :) We see a lot of players who like to keep to themselves on the server. And that's fine. But we also see a lot of players who team up and work together to build great towns. This is what servers are all about if you ask me.

We have separated the regular and hardcore worlds. Unfortunately the separation seems to have aggravated a bug in TFC reported by Jiro earlier. As a result the hardcore world has become unstable. We're hoping that TFC 79.18(?) will fix this.

Separating the two worlds was more involving than we had initially anticipated but I think we've got most of the things sorted. One more thing we need to do is clear out the HC player's inventories in the regular world. We'll do this today. If the HC players wish they can play in the regular world as well. For now we're keeping the whitelist on the hardcore world as we previously had.

So the hardcore server is unusable until 79.18? Is there any way we can get our hands on that now so we can start playing again?

The Hardcore world has been moved, destroyed and re-created to, on and at a new server. So as of right now we have linked together the Regular and Hardcore HappyDiggers TFC servers behind a proxy. This means players join our server at: tfc.happydiggers.net:4000 and from there they can go to the Regular or Hardcore TFC servers. There is also a Lobby server which has a ton of mini games which acts as a fall back servers when one of the others fails or is taken down for maintenance.

The Hardcore map is 42.000 x 42.000 blocks in size and is fully pre-generated. This means it's smaller than the Regular world which is 80.000 x 80.000 blocks in size. Nevertheless it's still a huge map.

Right now we're still keeping the Hardcore server whitelisted so we don't open the floodgates of regular players there right away. The idea is that we don't want to get a ton of small towns on the Hardcore world. To help this further we require new players, on the Hardcore server only, to play 48 hours before they can create their own towns. In the mean time they are free to join other people's towns. To make sure nobody gets left behind in the wilderness we are starting a server town. Everybody will be welcome to join this town if they wish. The whitelist will be removed in about a week or so. From that point on players will be allowed to move freely between the Regular and Hardcore servers. Player inventories are not shared between servers.

There are 3 ways to travel between the servers.

1. Use the /server command. This gives you a list of servers which you can visit. For example: /server tfc

2. Use the portals. Just walk through them to initiate transport.

Posted Image

3. Use the hologram signs. Just click on the sign to initiate transport.

Posted Image

Towny's global chat channel [g] is transmitted between servers. You can easily recognize which server someone is chatting on from the server prefix. Town, nation, private and other chat channels are local to the server you are on and thus not transmitted to the other servers.

Posted Image

Each HappyDiggers TFC server has it's own Dynmap:

http://tfc.happydiggers.net/

http://tfchc.happydiggers.net/

To help players find their friends on the server we now have an integrated TAB screen that shows online players on all three servers.

Posted Image

That's it for now. Have fun on the new Hardcore map. And if you have any trouble please let us know :)

Edited by InsaneJ

The server was down for maintenance. I had to move it to another case. There are a bunch of reasons for doing this. Mostly because the old one had served it's purpose for the better part of a decade and was getting hopelessly out of date. But mostly because I couldn't put in more drives in because the clips on the side of the drive bays had all broken off during the years. Instead of being able to put in 16 drives behind active cooling (and 6 with passive cooling), I could only sort of put in 8 and that's with some fancy McGuyvering. So I decided it was time to replace the old case with something shiny, a Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl. The new case has room for 8 drives behind active cooling and up-to-date features like tool less access, dust filters, noise dampening material, more cooling fans, etc.

The maintenance should have lasted about an hour...

While moving the parts from the old to the new case it looked like the PSU had died. There appeared to be a short circuit. This is one tough PSU, it's been with me for well over a decade now. Thermaltake pure power 680W. I was more surprised that it had lasted this long running 24/7 than that it would have broken down at this point. So I replaced it with a Corsair AX850. And then of course the thing still didn't work. While troubleshooting further I found that one of the fans in the 5 1/4" drive enclosures was causing the short circuit. This is an enclosure that holds the 4 SSD drives on which the Minecraft servers run. Not a good place to have a short circuit in.

All in all I wasted 2 hours of my time trying to pin down the exact problem and a perfectly good PSU which will now probably collect dust for a decade. All because I suspected it was dead after a decade. Lesson to be learned here: never assume anything!

After the hardware issues were resolved I turned on the server and checked that the TFC and TFCHC servers were running. What I didn't check for were the Lobby and proxy server. Those didn't automatically start I discovered this morning. So after manually starting those, every thing was up and running again.

Right now the server holds the following drives:

• 2x 3TB 7200 rpm Seagate drives in RAID 1 for OS, mail and website.
  • 2x 300GB 10.000 rpm WD Velociraptor drives in RAID 0 for Dynmap tiles.
  • 4x 80GB Intel Postville SSD in RAID 5 for Minecraft servers.
  • 3x 3TB 5400rpm WD Red drives in RAID 5 for bulk storage.

The drives are all connected to an Areca 1680i dual core 1.2GHz IOP348 PowerPC RAID controller with 4GB cache memory.

So yeah, just another day in the life of a server host Posted Image

Even the biggest Internet Exchange in the world can go down. Which is what happened this afternoon. .

The end result was that a lot of sites, including HappyDiggers, went down for a short time. Here's a graph showing the resulting decrease in traffic flowing through the Amsterdam Internet Exchange:

Posted Image

Downtime is never fun. But at least this tme I didn't have to do anything to get things up and running again ;)

Update from the AMS-IX:

DESCRIPTION:

Dear Tech-L subscribers,

Today Wednesday 13/05/2015 at 12:20 UTC+2 an installation engineer working on the PE under maintenance in EQUINIX AM3, while testing one of the newly installed 100GE modules, accidentally placed a loop on the ISP peering VLAN.

DETAILS:

The loop caused a high CPU on all backbone and customer modules resulting in many BGP sessions dropping.
The incident lasted 10 minutes.
BGP sessions are restoring.
Edited by InsaneJ

In-game username: Charles_Sparrow
How long have you been playing TFC: 2 months
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: for the challenge
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: yes
How do you get to the Hard Core World?: HMS Hardcore at Wallbridge Outpost
How do you return to the normal world?: you don't

In game username: Silentveteren

How long have you been playing TFC: 1 year. started about 3 years ago, played off and on since. around 500+ hours.

Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I'm looking for a fairly large TFC group that offers the protection of Townie, without the game advantage teleport gives. I was also impressed by the magnitude of the spawn town, as it is something I have tried to make before, a huge, detailed town. I've built large scale before, but never with such good detail, and not nearly as large.

Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Yes.

How do you get to the Hard Core World?: Travle to the Wallbridge Outpost and take the HMS Hardcore

How do you return to the normal world?: You can opt out of hardcore, but can never return afterwords. You won't keep any of the items you had before.

Charles_Sparrow and Silentveteren have been added to the HC whitelist.

How long have you been playing TFC: about 6 months, in a single player world, now looking for a serverWhy do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I enjoy the real survival aspect of the game, i like to achieve things that are difficult, in terms of gathering resources. I am not a creative type player my builds are small and practical.   Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: yesHow do you get to the Hard Core World?: Travael to the wallbridge outpost take the HMS hardcoreHow do you return to the normal world?: One way ticket never to return and lose  all you own *shudders* 

I've just updated the Hardcore section of the opening post of this thread. Please read the new information. (Tenandra, your application is fine. Just wait for Jiro to process it please.)

That's fine thank you I shall take a look at the updates.

How long have you been playing TFC: about 6 months, in a single player world, now looking for a serverWhy do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I enjoy the real survival aspect of the game, i like to achieve things that are difficult, in terms of gathering resources. I am not a creative type player my builds are small and practical.   Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: yesHow do you get to the Hard Core World?: Travael to the wallbridge outpost take the HMS hardcoreHow do you return to the normal world?: One way ticket never to return and lose  all you own *shudders* 

What is your minecraft username? It's best when I get it straight from the player instead of assuming it's a forum username ^_^

Sorry about that it is..

Tenandra

Tenandra has been added to the HC whitelist.

In game username: Morrisyman
How long have you been playing TFC: Around 18 months.
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I am looking for a close-knit community who are forced to depend on one another for basic realistic survival and to build more advanced industries.
Name a rule from the [/rules] command in the TFC server: "Do not turn your town spawn into a death trap."

Morrisyman has been added to the HC whitelist.

Username: Treyflixia

How long have you been playing TFC: 3 yearsWhy do you want to join the Hard Core group?: Because I want to be challenged!Name a rule from the [/rules] command in the TFC server: no more than 2 adult animals of any one type are allowed in a town.

Edited by Treyflix