Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
noobsrtoast

food preservation

42 posts in this topic

There is also the possibility of salting, pickling, and smoking food as means of preservation. A stack of fish goes into a barrel of salt and comes out preserved, cabbage goes into a barrel of vinegar and comes out sauerkraut.

I'm sorry, but I have to nitpick - saurkraut is made simply by shredding cabbage and packing it with salt. In no way is vinegar involved in its preparation.

Plus 1 for someone who knows how sauerkraut is made

I'm sorry, but I have to nitpick - sauerkraut is made simply by shredding cabbage and packing it with salt. In no way is vinegar involved in its preparation.

Sorry, I misunderstood when I read that it was pickled. Never knew there was more than one way to do it. Its the idea that matters really, pickling by vinegar could still be used to preserve other kinds of foods.

Sorry, I misunderstood when I read that it was pickled. Never knew there was more than one way to do it. Its the idea that matters really, pickling by vinegar could still be used to preserve other kinds of foods.

Pickled eggs . . . 

Yum!

Hard as finding magnetite? Dig a deep shaft with some ladders and torches in inventory, with a prospector's pick. It's not HARD just time consuming, like much else in TFC. The challenge is in time management - you won't ever make progress if you don't have a plan. Now. Again weighing in here with opinions. 

- We probably don't need random disasters to destroy crops or stockpiles. Random chance can destroy planning and generally turns the game into trying to avoid chance screwing you over before you can diversify enough not to get hammered hard. 

- Veggies already "ripen" as they grow and are harvested. Most produce we buy at markets today are harvested before peak ripeness (especially true for tomatoes and bananas) so they can sit for a while before being sold. That's why things get kind of skewed about how people view "ripe". Grow your own veggies sometime, and you can tell the difference between a real ripe tomato and the stuff we're used to having. (Also on the topic of tomatoes and other veggies in general - it's really not a good idea to eat them before they're ripe.) 

- The need to water crops is sort of handled by irrigation right now, which also ties down any substantial farm plots to water and a means of getting it where you need it. This is already limiting since you can't move water as easily (well source blocks) as you can in Vanilla. If you require regular watering of crops, then there is a high chance it will require someone to stay there and monitor them and not go mining for metals. (Effectively making single players farm a huge stockpile anyway so they can burn through it as they mine for metals.) 

- The idea of crops simply dying out when there's insufficient nutrients? I can get behind. It punishes players who just stick with a stone hoe (*raises hand*) and don't monitor the nutrients in the soil closely. It requires them to plan ahead before starting a farm, as new plots start with minimal nutrient levels, so they need to keep the fields fallow until they're ready. I'd suggest the plants dying out would actually replenish the other nutrients in the soil, so it could be advantageous to let some crops "rot" so you can kickstart fields for another crop.

I can see where it'd be believable, and tending the crops is something which needs to be done . . . but it could turn the game into an exceedingly dull experience of "must tend crops or starve" and making it harder to get set up to do mining. And if we add spoilage (somehow) then there's almost no chance for single players to work with the mod and it will always require someone on a multiplayer server to be around to tend the crops and check for rotten food. There's not much fun in forcing players into menial tasks like that. 

I said food lasts an ingame month for a reason and you just turned what I was saying into an incredibly long post having crop mechanics like that would make the game hard there needs to be some kind of leeway

It's been stated by the developers that the mod is balanced for multiplayer.

So I guess the singleplayer crowd are going to get shafted anyway, heh heh heh. Not that I have any problem with that.

Well it's too sides of a coin.

On one side you have multiplayer- which is the largest portion of the entire minecraft community on pc.

On the other you have singleplayer- which is the minority.

If a mod is balanced for singleplayer, then it would prove effortless in multiplayer. Look at buildcraft or one of the other tech mods, these are moderatelly challenging to do in singleplayer but are basicly a joke in multiplayer.

Then look at what we have in TFC, it is tough in singleplayer and (can be) tough in multiplayer. It is balanced to help inspire community efforts.

-woot 100th post-

Storing the food in an ExtraUtilities-like Filing Cabient could be a helpful way of reducing the ammount of processes needed to age the food items.

Fridge blocks (as ancient or recent as you'd like to imagine), could have X number of slots, each slot holds a differnt ID of food, with an great deal of slots for items of the same ID, but with different meta data. Then a lot of the calculations can be put to the Fridge block to take care of, such as remembering when it was last loaded, and advancing the age of the stored food. There would still be a lot of processes required for aging food, but if 90% of food is stored in a chest currently. Move all that to a fridge and you could save on a lot of calculations.

Being in the earlier ages of mankind, the Fridge would barely be and ice chest, and not perserve food too well. Hell you could even use a pantry block, or multiblock structure to determain the storage size. Maybe even to silo size?

However the biggest problem is that cereal crops can be stored for upwards of 5 years if perserved well. Don't we overproduce enough grain as-is?

Edit: As an extention on the idea of a Multiblock 'Pantry' (Since I live on the other side of the world and wont be able to post during prime time). It would essentially be a storage ban like thing. Or a component you would build inside a storage ban/large house. Depending on the materials it is built out of, it allows food to be perserved for longer. Same with if it is built with less air blocks touching it's surface/built underground. Allowing early game storage units being pits in the ground lined with wood. And later ones being made of stone bricks underground or with a shroud of blocks to keep it sheltered. If you wanted to make it more complicated you could make stone structures have low ventilation and high moisture retention, the opposite for wood, and so on for differnt levels of air exposure. This way players would need to build differnt structures to perserve differt kinds of food.

seems a lot of people are concerned about lag and memory usage. Couldnt the game just check less often? It bugs me when modders code things so badly that it ruins your servers performance (Railcraft tanks and coke ovens, multiblock structures in general)

Just have the mod check each chest and player, once per day. %chance to remove some of each food stack. % is less if the food is cooked, and almost zero if it is smoked/dried. Still means that you might harvest 6 peppers and have one go bad in the first night, but hey, thats just like real life (it looks good on the outside but is actually hollow or rotten inside)

If it checks once per day, it'll mean a lag spike once per day.

Even if it isn't done often, you get like, double chest upon double chest worth of food, plus more, quite fast.

Checking all of that, no matter how infrequently done, will still cause lag when it happens.

You forgetting one thing.. ice-house! a method to preserve food over the year by making a big underground room (with the only entrance facing north, this is method used in the region of Italy i'm native of) deep some meters, with a gutter on the bottom, filling it with snow and pressing it turns the snow into ice, during the hot summer days temperature in these rooms keeped so low that people could preserve all their food from rotting..

Ice houses, now there's an idea.

It would probably have to be some sort of special multi-block structure (simulating local temperature and gradual melting would be a nightmare).

Maybe craft an "Icebox" block that can be placed on the ground and hold a small inventory, and a special "snowball slot" where you shove a stack of snowballs which will slowly disappear.  The icebox would need to be surrounded by Thatch blocks to be effective.

I'm hoping they add things like snow, ice, torches, forges, etc changing temperature around them.

Temperature is already effected by temperature, If I'm not mistaken it's just that blocks don't effect temperature, just the season and biome/chunk.

So if snow/ice/etc changes temperature, you can make a ice house simply by surrounding the vessel/chest with food with ice/snow, and it will add new things, like not placing your food near firepits or forges

Here is a nice way to preserve grains for about a year or more.

http://youtu.be/PwqjJn3IaoM?t=52m43s

A hole is dug on the ground filled with grain (maybe how we fill a kiln with straw) then covered with a clay lid. 

As described in the video it causes the grain to hibernate. And it can last from 1 to 2 years. Very simple technology.

One other thing that could help people survive is to have a very inefficient way to grind grain banging grain on rocks etc, (maybe even causing us to lose half

or some percentage during the grinding process)

I'm hoping they add things like snow, ice, torches, forges, etc changing temperature around them.

Temperature is already effected by temperature, If I'm not mistaken it's just that blocks don't effect temperature, just the season and biome/chunk.

So if snow/ice/etc changes temperature, you can make a ice house simply by surrounding the vessel/chest with food with ice/snow, and it will add new things, like not placing your food near firepits or forges

Blocks already effect temperature, lava blocks do that for example, and a lot, not in a wide range though

Blocks already effect temperature, lava blocks do that for example, and a lot, not in a wide range though

Correct, but there are only very few blocks that actually have that implemented currently, and the ones that are working are just heat sources, not cold ones.

You forgetting one thing.. ice-house! a method to preserve food over the year by making a big underground room (with the only entrance facing north, this is method used in the region of Italy i'm native of) deep some meters, with a gutter on the bottom, filling it with snow and pressing it turns the snow into ice, during the hot summer days temperature in these rooms keeped so low that people could preserve all their food from rotting..

Ice houses, now there's an idea.

It would probably have to be some sort of special multi-block structure (simulating local temperature and gradual melting would be a nightmare).

Maybe craft an "Icebox" block that can be placed on the ground and hold a small inventory, and a special "snowball slot" where you shove a stack of snowballs which will slowly disappear.  The icebox would need to be surrounded by Thatch blocks to be effective.

Ice houses were extensively used by the Edwardians and Victorians for storing food. Some of them are huge, 30-40 feet in diameter and 20 feet high. They are all generally built underground, quite often into the sides of hills, and often next to or close to lakes. Having said that, the selling of ice in the cities was big business, especially after the industrial revolution.

Traditional pantries, of varying size, generally had "slabs" of granite as shelves on which food was stored as these were know to slow the decay of food and therefore allow fresh produce to be kept longer.

As to coding it .. there are many examples of minecraft mods that use multi-block structures (tanks) so the multi-block itself shouldn't be an issue.. just the localized temperature gradient and melting.

One method that sort of has been alluded to vis sauerkraut is the "picking" of vegetables.. a better example however is Korean "Kim-chi". There are over 10,000 official varieties from preserving using chilli powder to preserving using sweetened brine.

Has anyone mentioned Jam(fruit) or marmalade(fruit and/or vegetable - onion/beetroot) or chutney(vegetable) or passata(tomatoes)?