Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
LohTek

When is it time to throw in the towel?

7 posts in this topic

After 5 real life days, over 5000 square meters, and +1000 stacks of rocks in my search for bismuthinite/cassiterite I am considering throwing in the towel on my world. I am firmly stuck in the copper stage. I found large amounts of limonite, malachite and lignite in the very same mineshaft I found my first vein of native copper. I am really hesitant to thow the towel in since this is quite a significant find, however it really does me no good if I cannot advance to bronze.

So when do you guys think its time to throw in the towel? This was a really hard decision for me as I had progressed so far, but such is life. sometimes you're just really unlucky.

No, keep going, you may only quit if you at least make steel

I second that, steel or no quit

There is always one thing missing in any given TFC world. For you it is bismuthinite. For me it was fluxstone (took me 7 RL days and one and a quarter ingame years). For the guy who finds both early on, it will be feathers to make the scribing table, or a native igneous layer to make the first anvil, or any form of iron whatsoever (been there done that). For the guy ho has all of that as well, it will be impossible to find garnierite, gold or silver later-on. Heck, I have had a hilarious multiplayer game where it took four people almost an ingame month to find a tree.

There's really nothing much you can do but power through that one thing. Because the chances are high that it really is only one thing, since in the process of finding it you will run across much, if not all of the rest.

Just make sure you are actually looking in the right areas. Not all stone types can contain all ores. Cassiterite is especially difficult to find through surface rocks because only one single rock type (granite) can spawn it as a surface deposit. All other cassiterite is middle or bottom layer, and though surface rocks can sometimes graze the upper edge of the middle layer with their detection range, the chances for that to work out for you are extremely small.

For me, it's a lot of things. I found two rather nice and simply reached veins of Tetrahedrite (one was actually down a ravine, which intersected caves, which intersected another ravine, which intersected caves, repeat until reaching the bottom of the Y scale). I can't find Casserite. I have a successful farm, a couple nice places to carve out clay, but I have nothing higher than copper except for some freak Casserite amounts where I can't remember . . . they were surface rocks scattered and were enough to make four Bronze tools.(One of which was a pick i used to death.)

On the same side, animals *will not spawn* for me, except for the three little pigs which are all male, and squid. Yay. I once found two cows while trying to check surface rocks for Casserite and not finding any. (Lots of Sphalerite though.)

I haven't seen a hint of iron, except for a Wrought Iron ingot a zombie dropped (Thanks pal, gonna make me a pick out of it.) I barely got feathers while checking out a jungle I may just deforest for how annoying it is to navigate. I have a huge amount of fluxstone, and a couple places I can go grab sand.I have exactly four types of trees I can replenish: Willow (yay charcoal!), White Elm, Aspen, and Sycamore. I have an active farm around a lake, a tree farm over some ocean, but I haven't been able to get very far without wool for a bed.

I've not gone VERY far in exploration since I'd need to devote tons of time to it and lacking a bed makes it . . . problematic.

I think you should appreciate the challenge. It could be worse, all the resources could be found in the same place and the fast progress up the metal tiers would dull the experience.

I was asking the same thing too, with the same frustrations.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5183-looking-for-tips-help/

Basically I dug through several copper pickaxes before finding all the stuff to make bismuth bronze.  user Kittychanley gave some good advice - walk to the edge of your rock biome and dig down and referencing which ores/minerals spawn in which stone types is key. If you dont find it, walk to the other edge of the rock biome

I hope you've got some since posting, I love the challenge of this mod.