Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

Mechanical Power. What do people(you) think about it?

13 posts in this topic

You know, if you post a suggestion about mechanical power, it gets shot down in 1~3 posts with the comment already done.

Yet it's not in the suggestion directory, there are ones in the old suggestion directory, but those are made from a year or two ago.

So I don't wan't to try and continue the discussion and learn that people said no or something.

Plus, it doesn't really tell me if it was rejected, or just forgotten, or if people just don't care.

So I just wanted to know, what are people's opinions on mechanical power?

What is your opinion on it?

I personally think it will be good if some of the more tedious tasks(quern grinding, bellow-pumping, plank-making, etc)

where left to mechanical power. Also, I think a pump for water could be a good way to move water until you get to steel.

I don't wan't to have to grind that double chest of rye grain, cooking it's trouble enough.

I don't like having to switch between forge to bellow to forge to keep that temperature hot and not lose my metal.

And I really don't like being limited in the areas or size of my farm because I need red steel to do move water.

I think some stuff could be moved to mechanical power-runnable so we don't have to do some of the annoying, tedious stuff

I don't really care, or want automation or anything like that, I just want to be able to spend less time on the repetitive, boring stuff and more time on the fun stuff, and I don't wan't to be limited in what I can build and where I will live just because I didn't reach the highest tech level yet

I'm all in for Mechanikal Power...

I want a windmill to grind my grains!!

i would also support some mechanical power somewhat similar to old red power as long as it fits within the game

If done right it can really add a lot to the mod.  As far as the tech tree goes, it really should be tacked on to the end of what we currently have as a way to expand the game and its gameplay.  It could give more use to redstone as it would be able to dislodge gears to unpower a particular element, though I'm not sure redstone would be the best fit for the mod. 

In the far future it could be used to generate electrical current, but to start off with I think grinders and a more realistic minecart boosting system would be great.

I also approve of mechanical power

I like it, but I understand those that don't.  As such, instead of forcing it on everyone, I think it should be limited to mods.  Like SteamAge, but maybe with wind/watermills as an early tech, working up to steam power.  

Personally, I'd much prefer the aesthetic of having a wind/watermill pumping water from a stream to irrigate than some magic bucket that provides unlimited water.  But again, it's not for everyone.

I think any such mechanization would be interesting, but think it's best application would be to multiplayer. Maybe it would scale, as more and more tedius tasks become aided by mechanization of any sort, than the resources required would also grow, leading to a need for contnued growth and expansion.

You know, if you post a suggestion about mechanical power, it gets shot down in 1~3 posts with the comment already done.

That's funny because I've already confirmed that mechanical power is coming at some point.

Machines should not be an end all in TFC. They need to be heavily balanced, even if that makes them a bit anemic compared to other mods. There should also be a challenge in getting them to work, that way when a player builds his machines and powers them he should feel a sense of achievement.

I think mechanical power could be amazing in TFC, if done right. There's so many tech/power mods out there for MC that it's difficult to come up with something unique and they tend to have a downside of tying you up in a lot of GUI juggling. Just going from one GUI to the next and spending the output on another block that adds another GUI. Check out the dramatic changes Universal electricity is going through right now. I think something like the teir one and teir two (non-electric) levels of their new power system are great examples of what can be done hands-on without GUIs. I love how TFC makes me feel like I'm actually doing things rather than just flipping a switch and letting magic happen. It'll be quite intersting to see what comes of this.

Most of what we came up with in the suggestions thread are multiblock structures that only have an input slot. Most of the items created by the machines would pop out once the machine is done. Machines can be triggered with buttons for a single cycle, or a lever for continuous running. At most we are looking at 5 guis. Most are basic, almost chest like and for inserting items into the machines. 

It isn't being shot down because it won't be added to the game. The post is getting shot down because you created a duplicate topic, when you should have added on to an already existing one. If you were using the suggestions forum correctly and following the rules, your posts wouldn't be getting shot down.

It isn't being shot down because it won't be added to the game. The post is getting shot down because you created a duplicate topic, when you should have added on to an already existing one. If you were using the suggestions forum correctly and following the rules, your posts wouldn't be getting shot down.

I know, what I meant was people kept saying 'ready posted', so no discussion was being made, but I couldn't find any topic about when I skimmed the thing myself.

Also, the link given to me had it's last post on june, 2013

Plus this: although necro-ing isn't exactly frowned upon, it isn't a very good idea to respond to a conversation that ended more than a few months ago.

Made me hesitant to try and start up conversion.

So I wanted to know if I should try to continue the conversation, or just leave it at that.