Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Murayama

Single player config option

12 posts in this topic

I remember reading somewhere that TFC is considered a multi-player mod. Why exclude a large contingent of players who only play Minecraft single players? In my personal situation I'm a grown adult with a wife and kids, deadlines, responsibilities and a backlog on Steam I'll never get through. Some of the things I love in games are survival, immersion, progression and believability. That's why I'm drawn to and love TFC. Seems like about every 6 months or so I try to get back into TFC but I inevitably reach a point of boredom, tedium and frustration and find myself lured away by some other shiny new game or mod. I'm pretty sure, based on many comments I've seen in this forum, I'm not alone in that.

Why not add some config options tailored to make the game better for single players? I think having an option to increase ore distribution, lower block hardness, increase tool durability would help a lot with this. This would open the game up to a lot more players while keeping the progression system intact. And those who enjoy TFC exactly the way it is could just leave those options alone and it wouldn't affect them at all.

It seems like this would be a relatively simple thing to implement. I've seen other mods do very similar things. It would make the mod more accessible to single players who don't have the time to devote to the mod without compromising the standard TFC experience for those who enjoy that.

Wow. Kind of surprised no one cares about this option. Why the lack of interest? Is it too unlikely to be implemented? Too much trouble from a user standpoint to change config settings? Have you resigned yourself to "This is just the way TFC is."

I kind of wonder if it's because anyone who cares about this option has long ago abandoned TFC and the only people left viewing the forum are people who love the multiplayer focus just as it is.

Maybe it's more like it isn't needed? I certainly play TFC almost exclusively singleplayer, and it works just fine. Making progression faster would just end up making me run out of stuff to do faster (I am not a good creative builder).

I also don't think ore needs to be even more abundant, considering that veins are multiplayer-sized... one single vein of any metal will last you literally forever (until you start a new world). I have never managed to deplete one, even when stockpiling ingots in a storehouse.

And finally, your tone of voice is kind of... how shall I say... not particularly motivating.

Me, I just build a farm, a nice house, and get some animals.

Then, I slowly go up the tech tree. It takes time, sure, but I don't care, because for me, the focus is surviving, not going up the tech tree.

So what if I don't find enough metals to get to steel in a few days? I don't need steel, copper and stone works fine for me, frankly.

I build, farm, and slowly expand, getting better metals is more of a challenge for me than a need, a challenge I take time on.

I get much more fun building useful, aesthetically pleasing houses and planning ahead on food and supplies, and playing around with all TFC has to offer

Maybe it's more like it isn't needed? I certainly play TFC almost exclusively singleplayer, and it works just fine. Making progression faster would just end up making me run out of stuff to do faster (I am not a good creative builder).

I also don't think ore needs to be even more abundant, considering that veins are multiplayer-sized... one single vein of any metal will last you literally forever (until you start a new world). I have never managed to deplete one, even when stockpiling ingots in a storehouse.

And finally, your tone of voice is kind of... how shall I say... not particularly motivating.

I guess I didn't spell out clearly enough what I meant by ore distribution. I agree vein sizes are more than enough to sustain a single player's every need for a long time. The problem for me is in the amount of time it takes to find the different essential ores. While a multiplayer server has plenty of different people searching for ore and it only takes one person finding it to give everyone access to it, it can be frustrating, boring, etc for a single player to do that work. I'm not afraid of a little hard work. That's part of what I enjoy about TFC and I think vanilla ore distributions are horribly overabundant. I just wish there was a mid ground that would make a single player world more interesting and accessible to players.

I'm sorry (I guess?) if my tone of voice isn't motivating enough to you. I guess I'm mostly just frustrated that some of the TFC developers and community are so rigidly close minded in the way the mod is "supposed to" be played. While many other mods supply multiple config options so users can custom taylor their experience and strive for compatibility with other mods, TFC just doesn't. While it seems to me it would be relatively easy to implement I'm pretty sure there's no way it's ever going to happen. 

I'm sorry (I guess?) if my tone of voice isn't motivating enough to you. I guess I'm mostly just frustrated that some of the TFC developers and community are so rigidly close minded in the way the mod is "supposed to" be played. While many other mods supply multiple config options so users can custom taylor their experience and strive for compatibility with other mods, TFC just doesn't. While it seems to me it would be relatively easy to implement I'm pretty sure there's no way it's ever going to happen. 

1. TFC is not a standard mod- it is an overhaul, it is a complete redo of minecraft and it is posted that it will be incompatible with virtually all mods that need vanilla world gen or items.

2. The dev's have been at this a while, they are "closed minded" because they have been doing this for a very long time, and this is what most of the community wanted.

3.There already is a config file (actually TFC has 2) they are located in the .minecraft folder under config (for singleplayer) they are called TFC.cfg and TFCOptions.cfg

There is a lot you can do in the configs, they even coded in the capability for mod compatibility.

I'm a programmer with lots of experience with java, it is not so simple as to write a config for a mod, you have to make every aspect that changes in the config be open to take variables in the mod itself. That takes lots of coding and lots of time.

And if you spend the time being creative you can find ways to do work arounds for mod incompatibility, my server has the entire IC2, UE, and BC mod sets and we can do everything just fine.

Honestly, it works fine in single player for very basic play, with only two exceptions:

First, it's really hard to find specific ores needed to advance. This is, of course, nothing new since it can be really hard to find diamond in Vanilla. It also encourages exploration and travel, rather than squatting in one place for infinite lengths of time. (Though worth noting, I'm fairly sure I have Casserite hiding near my spawn, found magnetite after digging a shaft with ladder down near a farm along with a lot of potential rock layers . . .)

Secondly, animals. It's really hard to ensure you get a mating pair for some reason. This can make getting leather and wool rather hard and very much a roll of the dice. 

Honorable mention for this build, sequoias. That crap kills games quickly.

1. TFC is not a standard mod- it is an overhaul, it is a complete redo of minecraft and it is posted that it will be incompatible with virtually all mods that need vanilla world gen or items.

2. The dev's have been at this a while, they are "closed minded" because they have been doing this for a very long time, and this is what most of the community wanted.

3.There already is a config file (actually TFC has 2) they are located in the .minecraft folder under config (for singleplayer) they are called TFC.cfg and TFCOptions.cfg

There is a lot you can do in the configs, they even coded in the capability for mod compatibility.

I'm a programmer with lots of experience with java, it is not so simple as to write a config for a mod, you have to make every aspect that changes in the config be open to take variables in the mod itself. That takes lots of coding and lots of time.

And if you spend the time being creative you can find ways to do work arounds for mod incompatibility, my server has the entire IC2, UE, and BC mod sets and we can do everything just fine.

Yes I am well aware of what TFC is and where to find and alter a config file. I probably spend more time fine tuning my mod environment and tweaking every little option to provide that perfect experience, than I do actually playing the game.

This is also why I'm aware that so many mods from Thermal Expansion to Mekanism to Mariculture to Tinker's Construct to Custom Ore Gen to Gregtech (I could go on but I'll stop here) allow the user to customize ore distribution via config file. Hence my assumption that it's not that hard to implement. I know that TFC does their ore distribution differently though, so maybe it is a lot more difficult for this particular mod. I'd love to hear from someone who knows.

By the same token it should be very easy to change block hardness. Is the length of time it takes to chop a log/mine stone tied to the multi-player focus? Because it's too slow for most people who play single player. Heck, it's probably too slow for most people who play multi-player. If it's not too difficult to add a config option for that, and it would possibly bring more mainstream people into TFC, why not add it? I'm not talking about changing the basic standard gameplay for anyone who likes it the way it is. Simply adding some options in the config file to allow those players currently alienated by TFC's multi-player focus, to customize their experience so they can enjoy TFC as well.

You are correct that because ore generation is very different from vanilla, that it is a lot more difficult to code a configuration for it. For all of those mods generating in vanilla stone, they only have to worry about the size and shape of the vein, as well as what y-level range it should spawn in. TFC ores would have to configure all of that, as well as account for the three different heights of stone layers, and all of the different stone types.

As for the length of time to break blocks, try upgrading your tools? The stone axe is slow, and yields less logs from a tree to encourage players to make metal ones, and the higher tier metals will break blocks even faster. The log chopping is also generally slow to account for the fact that you can chop an entire tree in one swoop. If you could take down an entire tree in the time it takes to chop one log in vanilla, there wouldn't be much balance. If you're complaining about the length of time it takes to break a single, player placed log.. you should be using a saw, and not an axe.

As for mining stone, tech mod items like electric drills and super haste picks have spoiled players. The speed of a steel pickaxe is more than fast enough to clear out the 2x1 infront of you with almost uninterrupted walking. Believe it or not, it actually takes some hard work to break a cubic meter of stone, and your pick clearing out an entire wall with a second of holding down the mouse really isn't believable, and therefore doesn't fit with the theme of TFC.

I'm also wanting more out of the configs, but in my case the issue is the inability to tweak the challenge of the mod in the opposite direction. I would like to be able to change the rate at which various activities lower your hunger or the base rate that your health regenerates so that basic survival and staying alive remains a challenge longer than it currently does. Then there's the fact that I can't opt out of TFC's original soundtrack and just stick with Vanilla's.

If you're complaining about the length of time it takes to break a single, player placed log.. you should be using a saw, and not an axe.

You mean player-placed logs break faster by saw? if so, that's news to me.

And I agree. Block-breaking speed is fine for me, and the only time I have trouble is when I'm digging up mountains or doing some serious terraforming.

And even then, I still clear it in a few hours. So yea, I think things are fine as it is.

I just wanted to say thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for adding this to the most recent build 78! The ability to add mod ores was an unexpected surprise. This has totally resparked my interest in TFC and trying to build my perfect single player mod build with TFC as the centerpiece.

Also, on a side note, I love that sticks have been added as a ground pick-up. Hitting leaves for sticks was always one of my least favorite things to do.