Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Update Frequency Poll

Update Frequency   194 members have voted

1. 1. How Often would you prefer to see Major Builds?

• Every 2-3 weeks
    • Once a Month
    • Every 2 Months
    • Every 3 Months
    • Whenever you feel like it.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

91 posts in this topic

One thing to keep in mind that it seems a few people are not quite understanding is the difference between a Major Update 0.xx.0 and a Hotfix 0.00.x

The focus of the poll was for Major Updates, which are releases that contain new content and features. Hotfixes, which contain bug fixes, are almost always released as soon as the bug is reported, and a solution has been found. For example, Build 77 had its first 10 hotfixes within the first 10 days of its release.

The exception to this general rule with B78 is because solutions to bugs in B77 were found after enough progress was made with the new build that it would be exceptionally difficult to back-port the fix from 78 (where the fix was easy to do) to 77 (where the fix couldn't really be implemented). It was the overhaul of certain mechanics for 78 that made the bugfixes possible.

In my personal opinion, the other issue with releasing regular "snapshots" is that often times the code isn't finalized enough to be open to bug-hunting and other suggestions. My best comparison for this would be to equate it to making a pizza. Once the pizza is cooked and ready to eat, any feedback from the people eating the pizza will be helpful to the chef. However, if the chef starts getting feedback while only getting far as making a shopping list, or starting on the dough, the feedback is going to be all over the place, full of unrelated opinions, and not all that helpful. Yes there could still be helpful feedback such as "you don't have any flour, and it isn't on your shopping list," but we have a small team, including myself, of people who are already handling this. Opening up a release to the community at these points could very possibly do more harm than good.

I agree that is updates that keep the community interested in the mod, which is why I voted for every 3 months rather than whenever you feel like it. I also chose this option because I personally can get about 3 months worth of play out of the mod before I've done everything I feel like there is to do and I get bored with it.

I have not played TFC for months and it's mostly because I know that there will be major world gen modification.

I spend a lot of time building and I would like to be able to, at least, be able to export/import buildings in mcedit, but with changes like removing stone types could also break these. I would prefer to build new stuff and improve my builds instead of rebuilding over and over the same thing.

Of course I guess it also depend of what is "world breaking"... but "not to often updates" for world breaking updates would be my answer.

As for release frequency in general, I would say "as soon as something is fully implemented".

I would prefer a new release every month with two new features, instead of one realase every six months with twelve new features.

I really don't know how the coding is planed, if there is a list of features to be implemented for the next version, if you code one thing at the time, or if you switch from one thing to an other when you feel like it. So I don't even know if it's possible. For example, if the first thing you coded after b77 was the fences, when it's complete, release it and work on a new thing. I think it would keep player interested.

The most important thing in my opinion is keeping track of the current version that's most popular in the Minecraft modding community. That has been 1.6.4 for a couple of months now. The reason for this is that it will make your mod more compatible with other mods and server plugins. Especially for those of us who run public servers that's essential.

Currently TFC is on MC 1.6.2 which doesn't have a working MCPC+ version for it. Well... it runs, but chunk loading is so bad it's practically unplayable. That means that if you want to run a server you will have to rely on a few very basic Forge mods for server management. If you've ever run a proper Bukkit/Spigot server, you'll know this is a huge step backwards. This is a major issue I ran into when setting up the HappyDiggers TFC server which almost made me decide to scrap the entire project. With MCPC+, and thus bukkit, you get access to things like:

[*]Block logging and roll back (undo grief);

[*]Ban aggregators to keep known griefers out;

[*]Jails to give players that misbehave a second chance (the alternative is a ban);

[*]Essentials plugins;

[*]World guard/edit;

[*]Auto announcers;

[*]Shops;

[*]Plot management like Towny or Factions. MyTown is very basic in comparison;

[*]Server side NPCs that don't require players to install anything;

[*]Virtual (paid) storage that players can access from anywhere;

[*]Multiverse to load different dimensions with different gametypes;

[*]Ticket systems for players to request help from staff;

[*]Lockette or other plugins to make storage private and prevent theft;

[*]Economy plugins;

[*]Votifier plugins so players can vote on your server which helps them and the server;

[*]Stats;

[*]And many, many more.

Right now we're muddling through with our server, but there are many issues that could easily be resolved if we were able to run TFC on Minecraft 1.6.4.

This is all of course just related to managing a public server. On the gameplay side of things staying current with Minecraft releases gives people more options to experiment. It will also help to make TFC even more popular because more players can use it with their favorite mods.

As far as releases go I'd suggest trying to do monthly updates. It doesn't have to be finished in any way, just as long as it doesn't crash. The release notes can show the work-in-progress parts people should be careful with. This will keep people interested and gives them an opportunity to give feedback on the progress being made. This involvement will also help make TFC a better mod since there is wisdom in the masses :) It will also mean more bug reports. And since most people playing are idiots (sorry) it also means people will complain here and there. But that's where staff members come in. Use them to filter out the crap so you only have to look at the useful feedback.

The issue with save breaking updates is tough. If it's just world gen that's changed, that shouldn't be a problem. Players can move their stuff to a newly generated area and benefit from the new world gen. If it really crashes the client, it should be avoided as much as possible. Of course such changes can happen in which case I'd suggest: bite the bullet. Just put the update out there. It's better then stalling the entire project and making everybody wait.

From experience I can tell you that waiting is what will make people loose interest.

So to sum up my opinion:

[*]Try to keep up with major Minecraft versions;

[*]Monthly updates;

[*]Don't put off save breaking updates.

1. On the gameplay side of things staying current with Minecraft releases gives people more options to experiment. It will also help to make TFC even more popular because more players can use it with their favorite mods.

2. But that's where staff members come in. Use them to filter out the crap so you only have to look at the useful feedback.

1. This is only true if their favorite mods are compatible with TFC in the first place. The fact of the matter is that the majority of popular mods use vanilla items and world generation as their base, rendering them incompatible with TFC without the use of a third party mod to bridge the gap. TFC is slowly working on fixing this compatibility by providing configuration option for other-mod ore generation in future builds, but it is still a slow process, and not the top priority.

2. Since I'm essentially the only "staff" other than Bioxx and Dunk (spAnser really only handles stuff like the host going down), my only response to this is EEEK! I have a hard enough time keeping track of the forums and updating the wiki as is. :(

True, most vanilla based weapons and armor are useless in TFC. But there's more to mods then just hit points. And since the development is an ongoing process more and more mods will find a way to become compatible with TFC. It doesn't always have to be TFC that adjusts to a mod, the other way around can also happen. Mod authors could for example detect TFC's presence and adjust parameters accordingly. But the main requirement for that is that TFC is available on current Minecraft versions and that you are willing to discuss such things with other mod authors who may have completely different ideas about their mod in combination with TFC from what you envisioned for TFC.

I know it's tough finding good staff. I've been looking for another admin to help manage/develop our servers for about a year now. The vast majority of applicants aren't up for the task.

Forums however can be moderated by moderators :) Moderators can only edit/hide(soft delete) posts and warn/ban people. They can't change forum settings or destroy anything permanently. Moderators therefore are much easier to find. You could setup a selection process in which people have to explain why they meet the criteria you set. Having applicants write an intelligent post will give you insight into their grasp of the English language and train of thought. I'd recommend only accepting people who have actually been active in your community for a while or who can prove they are trustworthy.

In our community the staff chooses other staff members. We never accept people asking for a job. If we don't know, like and trust you; you won't become a staff member ever.

Having a couple of moderators tend to the forum will give you more breathing room to do other tasks. Perhaps you could also look for a dedicated wiki contributor or two. Delegating is very important. Trying to do everything yourself will eventually cause you to burn out instead of enjoying what you do. I'm talking from experience here. Try managing 11 Minecraft servers, two mod packs and a YouTube channel. Doing it all by myself would be way too much. Right now I'm still too busy with all of that so I'm still looking for more people to help with that. But as I said before, it's hard finding good staff.

So in short: find trustworthy people to help you. I'm sure there are a few lurking on these forums :)

You guys are awesome. You have in my very honest opinion the very best minecraft mod in your hands, updates should really just come out when it is ready. The community will understand if the worlds are not compatible. 

I think InsaneJ hits the nail on the head. Nothing makes people lose interest faster than making them wait. I used to come to the forums daily... then once a week. Now, it's a complete afterthought, which is unfortunate, as this is by far the single greatest Minecraft mod in existence.

If users don't perceive progress, they will assume that there is none and look elsewhere.

Don't be afraid to break saves during development (Notch wasn't). If push comes to shove, make an archive with previous versions.

I agree with Insanej in all his points with the exception of the update interval. I vote for a 3-month interval between releases, as it gives you more time to sort things out and make fixes before releasing.

Personally I worry a lot less about save-breaking. I usually expect things to break on major updates, even if it's stable, so I just start a new world. It allows for beginning fresh, which is pretty nice in reality. Having an entirely changed game mechanic to play around with for five minutes in a fully evolved world isn't as interesting as playing through it from scratch. 

As for update times, "when it's ready" is a good summary. It's nice to have regular updates, but it's also nice to have complete ones. 

I play in TFC once a year. The mod develops too slowly. It's not developers fault, at all! Just right now mod is needing more content. Metallurgy? Cool. Seasons? Awesome! Microblocks? Perfect! But I have nice home, top-tier armor and tools (after weeks(!) of slow and tiresome mining), what's next? TFC may be perfect platform for servers, but obsolete minecraft version and incompatibility with bukkit plugins or other mods makes it impossible. I know it, because i tried! TFC has no built-in chests and home protection system (like Rust at least), no clan mechanics (cooperation is necessery to survive in SMP TFC). LogBlock or WorldGuard plugins can't detect any block interact event in TFC, did you know? TFC is unique mod, but it's not enough for regular playing in it.

Oh... well... I look forward to TFC being completed anytime soon

Just wanted to pop in here....I love TFC, and I think 3 months is fine. Really, whenever you feel like it is fine. But, I would like new builds within 6 months. After 3 months, I usually am pretty bored with the current TFC/Minecraft build, and ready for something new. But I dont mind just taking a break for a few months either. We're not paying you for this, it's your hobby! As much as I would love to harass you for updates, it's just not fair to do so. 

That's my thoughts, just wanted to say again, thanks for such a unique and epic minecraft mod! Truly, it is how minecraft should have been.

i dont care about save breaking updates :)

its fun to explore new features.

I think you should update for a month, but it don't need to be perfect, just to see you're working on it.

Most of the fun for me is 'getting there', so breaking my old worlds isn't a heartbreak for me.  If an update means I need to start over, just means fun playing with Copper again =)

i dont belive it would be an issue to scratch up every so often since the best part is to run down from nothing and make it througth and we all know that is an alpha/beta version so we should all expect changes good job so far by the way

I voted for 2 months.

It's about 4 months that I stopped playing, perhaps a little burned out from all the digging I had to do to make 3 crucibles... I noticed that about 2 months ago I started popping in to see if there was any new update. I think that with an update every 2 months I could play until I get tired and get right back in with the next one.

Adding in the option of "whenever you feel like" won't give accurate results as it doesn't really determine a user's true opinion.  Polite, bashful, or people afraid to speak up are going to vote that option since they are appreciative of the mod and they may feel choosing any other option is selfish and asking you to treat it as a job more than a hobby.

And don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative of the amazing mod you've put together, but you did ask for an opinion, not for a polite, blow-smoke answer, so...

That being said, I definitely would like to see more regular updates when possible -- even if "all" the features you had planned weren't in the builds.  Personally, I'd rather see smaller updates more often than wait for months and months for a large update that is constantly changing with estimated release dates that get farther and farther away.  

Iterative build cycles generally provide better content, more frequent updates, and tend to keep user's more engaged as well.

Just my .02, anyways.

Whenever you feel like it and whenever you want.

I don't mind losing my world and restarting every single time. This is your work progress, we're just playing with your protype while you guys work :)

Come on Bioxx! Beat that laziness to death! You can do it!

Bioxx! Bioxx! Bioxx! Bioxx! Bioxx!

:)

I selected the "Whenever you feel like it".

However, please try to refresh mod without changing the mechanics for an updated version of Minecraft. 

The thing is though if we don't stay near to up to date with minecraft then we will end up missing many third party mods and then it becomes a decision to stay with a great mod, or get dozens of other good mods.

I personally would love to see b78 for mc 1.6.4, there are so many good mods that are compatible but don't have a 1.6.2 version or are buggy as all get out on 1.6.2

The thing is though if we don't stay near to up to date with minecraft then we will end up missing many third party mods and then it becomes a decision to stay with a great mod, or get dozens of other good mods.

I personally would love to see b78 for mc 1.6.4, there are so many good mods that are compatible but don't have a 1.6.2 version or are buggy as all get out on 1.6.2

Me, personally, don't think keeping up to date with minecraft is needed because most mods I know won't work with TFC's terren gen thing anyways, and I'd prefer they spend time adding more stuff rather then just keeping TFC up to date with minecraft