Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
tally

[Solved] looking for tips & help

7 posts in this topic

Hi, started TFC (ver.0.77.22) few weeks ago, and really liking the complexities vs vanilla MC  :-)

I've been unable to start animal husbandry so far, the pigs and sheep are not following me, i cant bring them back to my house/farm. I've tried holding carrot, oat, wheat, rye, maize.

Is there a list of foods that animals follow the player?

I'm having trouble with the metalworking, I cant weld. Being unable to form double-ingots is preventing any further metalworking from advancing.

When I put my 2 copper ingots into the anvil, with hammer, flux, press Weld and getting nothing; tried several hammers, and more flux, and making sure both ingots exact same temp, but no go.  I've got a Diorite (Igneous Intrusive) anvil block, bismuth bronze hammer, flux, copper ingots at BrightRed**** that were heated in a firepit.

May i also ask for for advice on mining. I have dug 4 seperate mines down to y-10, with fairly large branches going out in each looking for stuff around lvl y-60 (the wiki said stuff was most common at that level). Ive discovered large supplies of copper, zinc, bismuth, and Olivine.  I just got Magnetite/Iron yesterday in my 4th mine and just found my first Igneous Extrusive today, Dacite.

Does it normally take so long to discover ores and such?  I feel that being able to make a Bloomery and Crucible are going to take exceptionally long time at the slow rate of discovery.  Any mining tips ?

~ Tally

You need to hold wheat grains - that is, the processed wheat (craft it together with a knife). Only wheat works for luring, but rye, barley and oat also work for breeding along with wheat.

Welcome to the Forums!!!

1. Animals will only follow wheat grain, which is obtained by crafting the wheat you get from harvest with a knife.

2. The welding range for copper ingots is Bright Red *** to Orange ***, are you sure that your ingots are both at Bright Red **** when they are in the anvil? They might be that temperature when you pull them out of the firepit, but cool off a bit in your inventory before they make it to the anvil. I might suggest making a forge instead of using a firepit, that way you can heat the ingot up to a higher welding temperature and have to worry less about it cooling off. When welding single ingots, I often will heat the ingots up to liquid temperature (Don't forget the molds in the auxiliary slots!), and then carry the liquid ingots over to my anvil. As soon as they cool off enough to no longer be liquid, quick pull them out of their molds and throw them in the anvil. This way the ingots are for sure at least welding temperature.

3. Learning how to use the propick properly, as well as constantly referencing which ores/minerals spawn in which stone types is key. In my opinion, the best way to hunt for ore is to first make sure that you stock up on sticks and craft a lot of ladders. Then run around on the surface until the stone type changes, then go a little bit further into this "rock biome" for a better chance that the lower layers have changed stone type as well (Each layer is independent of each other when it comes to its size and where it changes types, but they are still relatively similar); I like to go into the "rock biome" until I can no longer see the old stones anymore. Next you will want to dig a 2x1 hole straight down; if you stand in the center of these two blocks, you don't have to worry about falling into any caves you might discover, or lava pockets. You'll only have to dig down until you hit the bottom, third layer of stone. Once you know what type of stone is in the middle and lowest layer, cross reference these stone types with either the before linked wiki page, or its quick reference image. If the ore you are looking for isn't found in either stone type, ladder back up to the surface and start over. If you got lucky, and the stone type is capable of spawning the ore you are looking for, start tunneling. In the current build, you only have to worry about putting your tunnel at one height within the stone layer (~y60 in the middle layer, ~y10 in the lower layer).  If you have smart moving installed, you can just tunnel with a 1x1 hole that you can crawl through, otherwise dig a 2x1 tunnel, making sure that you always always always dig the top block first, and the bottom block second to avoid cave-ins. Because the propick scans in a 25x25x25 area centered on the targeted block, I like to scan all 4 sides of the tunnel roughly every 12 blocks, as well as +/- 1 block to account for false negatives. Just keep tunneling until you get a reading for the ore you are looking for, or until the rock type changes to one that cannot spawn that ore. When this happens, start another tunnel about 20 blocks away, so that there is still a little bit of overlap just to be safe.

A trick ive learned for mining involves digging 3x3 shafts every 20 or so blocks in a grid, then connecting these with a 3x3 tunnel. If i find an area with high ore concentration i build a sluice rig of around 7 layers of 10 sluices. Small copper and and other ores help keep low end tools in high supply while i strip mine the rest of the area looking for irons and such.

Thanks everyone for the input

> Thanks Omicron, it seems my problem with attracting animals was that I had knifed the wheat into grain, now i've got 1 pig.  I dont know if its my game seed or a TFC difference, but animals are much more rare harder to find, and I seem to have to travel much farther afield to find and bring them back.

Update: I have now travelled 1000 blocks in 8 directions from my house, and found only pigs and deer. no sheep, no chicken. so I have yet to make a bed, cant make a scribing table.  Havent found any jungle for chicken, and the mountain terrain just has deer so far no sheep ...

> Thanks kittychanley Im much happier with the mining now. It seems that i was looking in the wrong rock types - or rather i wasnt paying attention to the type of rock i was in when tunnelling.

I love the prospectors pick, much better idea than the vanilla method.

Update: I've taken to digging down in a staircare method - digging on a diagonal. I've noticed that going down by 3 will not trigger a cave in - as long as i dig the top blocks first.  I can go all the way to the bottom layer without using support beams & this lets my ProPick sample alot more area in a single shaft down than before & makes going up&down on stairs faster

> Welding works now. perhaps the ore was cooling down too fast before i got it to the anvil.  & realizing how much ore is needed to make everything from anvils and armor and tools ... so many dozens of ingots.

Well thats why I'm enjoying TFC so much, its harder !

I found my Magnetite by digging a shaft 2x2 down and using ladders (a use for sticks from all those damn willow trees I use for charcoal making!) and checking with my prospector's pick every few "levels". I define a "level" as five blocks high, three of which dug out for a stop on the way down.

Bring plenty of logs and a saw, or a crapton of support beams. I died once by a surprise cavein when a cavern above me "popped". 

As you go down, dig "levels" out so you can quickly find your way to where you want to be. MARK with signs or something where prospecting suggests high concentration of ore or a vein nearby. If you find Tetrahedrite? Chase it until you have a couple stacks - this will fuel your mining and propick use. Also, torches. Lots of torches. 

You will find a lot of stuff this way. Of course, whether you find the ores you need? That's another story.