Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pathfinder

An Aesthetic Use for Gems

33 posts in this topic

Looks like this is the thread for gem suggestions?  I wanted to put forward some ideas and thoughts.  I like the suggestion of improving endgame weapons and tools with crushed diamonds like real life.  You could add the powder in the flux slot.  Basically you're folding the diamonds into the metal as you are working it.  And make it challenging to produce the powder- maybe make it dependent on the top tier alloy.  This could provide an extension past the final tier without being magicky.

Another thought is, what it if were made into some kind of collectibles game where you're goal is to collect one of each kind of the top level quality.  There could be combining recipes that culminate into some final display piece and some achievement. Folks like going for acheivements.  Or maybe associate some beneficial effect but still not magical or modern- so its like a test of intelligence, so you get a increase on the skill cap (there is a cap right?)

And one last thought.  Gems are used in optics IRL.  Maybe you could use them to make telescopes, seeing-eye glass, or survey tools - yeah like a mapping tool.

I like the idea of colored glass too.  That's a real world use of gems.

People here dont understand the physical properties of diamonds well enough. With the technology at the players' disposal, trying to grind a diamond would just grind away your grindstone. Diamonds will reatenot burn in a fire, it would take a much greater heat and change in preasure to even come close to that point. Hammers might be able to shatter them to a degree, but no to the point that has been discused, and most of the product would be lost anyway. Using diamonds to strengthen tools crazy, we dont do that now even, we may use labritory made diamond tips on special equipment, but that is centuries beyond the players level of technology.

I like the idea of placing gems for decoration like tiney blocks, and it makes sence it would take a lot to make a signifigant structure. I like imbedding them on statures or such, or in the hilts of swords and such, but no type of gem could be used for tools until very recently, and now its highly limited

Steel is available in TFC. So if you had a steel grindstone, or something of the sort, you should be able to grind gemstones of equal or lesser hardness right? If that is true, you should be able to grind and shape anything except emeralds, rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. Right?

Like the Op just being able to place gems in sockets carved with a chisel would be amazing. Possibly have larger/better quality gems be able to take up more space seamlessly. Allowing light to filter through the gems would be pretty cool as well.

With the gems why not be able to put them in a crafting grid with a top tier metal chisel (apart from diamonds) to create like a knapping interface and create maybe jewellery of a sort or the placeable gems?

I think any use for gems that is not for decoration is out of the mod time period.

Humans have use gems for thousands of years just for decoration. Only in recent years we started using gems for tools and lasers.

I don't think anyone in old Egypt had a diamond dust chisel.

I think it would be cool if we could encrust gems into blocks or be able to wear then as a necklace or on a headpiece.

I want a diamond ring. If you catch my meaning.....

Yeah, jewellery like that would be really cool. But even now for jewellers to cut diamonds they have to use other diamonds. So sorry that means no diamond rings for anyone :(.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0