Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RiKShaw

Animals in 77.22

18 posts in this topic

I've google searched this but most of the responses are really old and don't seem to help me find anything.Are animal spawns working at the moment? I just travelled 10,000 blocks south and didn't find a single sheep, cow or chicken.I can understand the need to nerf animal spawns for the early game. Finding food without meat is interesting but 10,000 x viewing distance of blocks devoid of 3 types of animals (and only 6 pigs found) is VERY extreme.Is this being fixed with the updated with the terrain generation of the next patch?

Unlike in vanilla, mobs actually spawn in specific climates, and not just wherever there is grass. I've been super procrastinating about writing the mob pages on the wiki mostly because a lot of stuff is changing with them (not really spawn though) for 78. The information on animal spawns that I have completed can be found on the climate page of the wiki. It's entirely possible that in those 10,000 blocks that you traveled, you just didn't come across the right climate.

Whether I came across the right climate is irrelevant. I SHOULD have come across the right climate in 10,000 blocks.

Because of the way that Minecraft handles terrain generation, traveling a straight line along a single axis can in no way guarantee that you are going to come across every single climate. We've gone as far as mapping out a general climate guideline (it gets warmer the closer you get to the equator, and colder as you get farther away), but other factors such as rainfall and the height of the terrain (since sheep like mountains) is entirely up to the seed of the world, and the random number generator.

Although the MC world isn't meant to completely mimic earth, the same argument can be made. If you were to take a map and follow a single line of longitude from a pole to the equator, you aren't going to come across every kind of climate.

Will the improved terrain generation fix this? And I mean fix because this is a bad part of the mod.

The climate parameters for certain animals have been widened, as well as the addition of another feathered mob.

The changes in terrain generation are mainly for subterranean things. Stone layers behave better, ore veins move with the height of the terrain instead of always spawning at the same y-level, caves now have mouths at the surface, stuff like that.

I might also suggest the use of a minimap that has non-hostile mob radar. It's very possibly that during your travels there were animals nearby, but you just didn't see or hear them because you weren't looking in the right direction, or the view distance was wrong or something. In my experience, when turning on that radar, those animals are all over the freakin' place.

Stone layers behave better, ore veins move with the height of the terrain instead of always spawning at the same y-level, ...

What exactly does that mean?

In 77.22 all ores spawn around y level 120, 60 or 10, regardless if there is a mountain on the surface, or a valley. In 78, if there is a mountain the ore vein will spawn higher to account for the higher terrain. If there is a valley, the ore will spawn lower to account for the lower terrain.

So ore spawning is made dependable on the surface height ... but does that also include stone layers?

Why is it being made like that? I don't know too much about geology - how is it in real life?

(I know this is off-topic here, sorry, but you mentioned it here ...)

Yea, animals can be quite rare in b77.

@kitty. awesome update to the stone layers, no more useless mountains!!!

Stone layers already kind of move with the terrain in 77, but its super buggy and they do it more fluidly and in a more sensible way in 78. Best way to explain is via images.

77 Terrain: http://i.imgur.com/KxdUpps.png

78 Terrain: http://i.imgur.com/AVSvRZj.png

that was.. well, interesting, to say the least.

So no more random stone changes that throw me off track when going through mountains/hills/valleys?

This thread has just totally wet my appetite for the next update, thanks for that comparison of the new rock layer, a picture speak a thousand words and all that!

I must admit, ive found everything but a sheep thus far and my base is surrounded by mountains for a distance of 1km to both the east and west, as well as partially to the north east - ive found more pigs than i can shake a stick at, 2 cows and 2 chickens ... not what im used to finding, i had the same problem with chicken when TFC was at 0.77.21 - i gave up and had to cheat the feathers in so i could progress with metalworking.

Something else to keep in mind: even though 78 is adding pheasants as another source of feathers, plans are no long required in the anvil, so you won't need feathers to progress past bronze tools. Feathers will only be useful for arrows and the book & quill.

Something else to keep in mind: even though 78 is adding pheasants as another source of feathers, plans are no long required in the anvil, so you won't need feathers to progress past bronze tools. Feathers will only be useful for arrows and the book & quill.

are you guys planning to apply the nesting modifications in build 78? (its mentioned on the chicken wiki page)