Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Moress

TerraFirma+ : Medicine & Health

73 posts in this topic

TERRAFIRMA+

Be sure to Follow this post for updates!

Episode 4: Medicine & Health

Redone 5-16-2014

Other Episodes

Episode 1: Animals and Carts

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4638-terrafirma-animals-carts/?p=69041
Episode 2: Botany & Food
http://terrafirmacra...ma-botany-food/
Episode 3: Storage & Furniture
http://terrafirmacra...rage-furniture/

-Medicine-

-Respawning-

*The quality of your health before you died will affect your skills when respawning

*If you died of a fall or damage with perfect health prior, you will lose no skills, and start mostly well-fed and healthy

*The worse your condition, health or otherwise, prior to death, the more you lose

*If you had a 100% trauma/wound, and a major disease, and decide to simply hop into lava to re-set, you can lose as much as 50% of your skills in one or more areas.

-Medical Skill-

*New level chart, like the others

*Leveled by creating both medicines/bandages, as well as using them

>Much faster by making them

*Higher levels increase both the effectiveness and quantity made for the material used.

-Physical Health-
*The body has a number of ways to be hurt, and a number of cures
*Health meters, in the same way that nutrition and XP will increase health, injuries will decrease them

*If both meters are full, the player will lose a total of 300 health from his/her max

-Injury Meters-

*All physical damage the player incurs will cause a % increase in this meter

*Arrows at max charge will cause a 3% increase

>Swords 1-6% to wounds chart, depending on tier

>Maces 2-5% to trauma chart, depending on tier

>Fire 5%/15% per second, caused by fire/lava

*Various healing techniques to each chart

*Each tier of injury comes with different debuffs (Feel free to post your own chart!)

(Note: Wound/Trauma/Burn

>00-20% no debuff, slight loss of health

>20-40% Mining and damage is lessened

>40-60% Slowness I / Bleeding I / Weakness I

>60-80% Slowness II / Bleeding II / Weakness II

>80-100% Slowness III / Bleeding III / Weakness III

*Below 50% will lessen over time, anything above will need medicine/bandages

-Illness Meters-

*Different illness' will cause a % increase based on the severity * the amount of time you have it.

(The debuff chart is universal between the charts)

>00-20% no debuff, slight loss of health

>20-40% Nausea and slowness I on and off

>40-60% Nausea and slowness I often, Nausea and slowness II periodically.

>60-80% Nausea and slowness I constant, II often and III occasionally

>80-100% Nausea and slowness II always, III often. Wither can occur at 80 and will occur at 100, this will kill the player if not treated promptly.

*Below 40% will decrease over time if the player has no active infections and is out of the rain/cold

*Above 40% will increase without treatment, with medicine the player will suffer no effects and can do most anything

*Above 70% will be deadly without treatment, and the player must stay inside and warm to make the medicine work

-Wounds Chart-
*Caused by slashing damage
*Cause bleeding
 >Fixed with bandages

-Burns Chart-
*Caused by lava and fire
*Anything above 30% can become infected, causing an increase to the infection chart in illness
*The more severe the burn, the better lotion needed to counter-act it

-Trauma Chart-
*Caused by blunt damage and falling
*Falling damage to the trauma chart is increase by 7% per block fallen past 3

-Infections-

*Caused by untreated wounds or trauma

*Have the same effects as a bacterial disease, but cannot be treated until the wound/trauma causing it is healed

>Treated by antibiotics and rest

-Bacteria-

*Caused by eating rotten food, or drinking dirty water.

*Same effects as an infection, but can be treated immediately.

>Requires more/better antibiotics than an infection

-Virus-

*Most dangerous of the diseases

*Caused from being in bad air (mining), or out in the rain for extended periods of time

*Can only be treated with rest and warmth

*A balanced diet will cause the illness to fade more quickly

>Note: If the player logs out near a fire, or laying/sitting the illness will fade while they are not online, but much slower. (1/2 speed)

-Bandages-
*Basic
*Advanced

-Salves-
*Aloe Lotion
*Numbing Lotion

-Splints-
*Wood
*Metal

-Noobrtoast's Post-

simple bugs( you will get over it eventually):

the common cold: can be contracted when in cold temperatures character will cough and have a slight slowness debuff over the duration of it, no rememdies but your character will eventually get over it,

barking cough: not sure about the technical name but a barking cough which drastically affects the characters stamina but eventually goes away can be managed by drinking tea (explained later), contracted from drinking dirty water, spoiled food, and cold temps

just a runny nose: pretty self explanatory, can be managed the same way as a barking cough, contracted solely from cold temps like c.c.

harmful if not treated:

pneumonia: what I have right now can kill the player by suppressing the ability to breathe can be treated with mint tea, low activity and antibiotics (gone over later in the post)

influenza: killed over half the population in a large pandemic back during ww1 you can treat it by taking menthol (obtained by processing mint plants In a quern), drinking lots of tea, and lowering the amount of activity your player is doing as well as making sure he stays warm you would have a very very very low chance of contracting this don't worry.

can be managed but not cured (your chance of contracting one of these is extremely low like 1/500000 chance against):

malaria: give the player a permenant "wither" debuff which you can get rid of by taking antibiotics every day or so if you miss a day you will have the wither debuff until you take antibiotics again contracted from dirty water, and spoiled food, and zombie encounters

parasite infection: random virus that takes away 1 heart every 2 minutes, can be managed by taking antibiotics, menthol and drinking tea

incurable viruses that insure death to your player(1/ 1 million chance of contracting)

black death: everyone knows what this is can be slowed by antibiotics but will eventually kill your player, contracted from mobs, spoiled food and some animals

h1n1 deadly variant: everyone also knows this one, can be slowed but will eventually kill you contracted the same way as black death

zombie infection: it wouldn't be me not to opt for something that will eventually zombify your character resulting in you having to respawn and fight your former self for you stuff, this is the only virus with no cure plus nothing that slows its advance, contracted from zombies of course even lower chance of contracting than other incurable viruses

remedies(gets rid of most things):

tea( boil some water than add some fruits, veggies, mint plant, or menthol to it and boom you have the most effective cold remedy around)

antibiotics(weak antibiotics made by grinding up 2 fruits or veggies in a quern add 2 more fruits/veggies to make strong antibiotics)

menthol or straight mint: menthol made by grinding mint leaf in a quern, mint leaf obtained by finding mint plants around the world which yield 0-4 mint leafs when broken, can be turned into seeds and grown.

pandemics: have a 1/400000 chance of happening during a pandemic your chance of contracting incurable but manageable or incurable/insures death diseases drastically increases so watch out!

infections: infections which can kill the player if not bandaged and given antibiotics( bandages made from wool) can be contracted via wounds from combat.

-Credits-

Noobrtoast for his post

I know it isn't done yet, but I need sleep eventually :) Ill be adding more shortly

I like it, but I don't think that there should be metal aliments.

(mental)

Metal Splints don't need to be included. Their strength surpasses wood, but to as useful as a splint they would need to be larger than required for their strength. Too much weight could worsen a broken or fractured limb. A metal brace would work... But it would be tricky to craft in terrafirma style.

Don't forget to include Creosote. It's not really used in modern times. But we can make a stretch to use it as an effective anti-septic. Creosote could be obtained by putting a ceramic pot under a charcoal pit. It would provide a second use of preserving meats, should that be included in the next few builds. Separating Creosote from tar could be included if it is deemed to easy to get.

Numbing lotion (local anaesthetic) doesn't seem too useful unless it countered the effects of wounds. Like removing slowness from a broken leg (which would only cause you to worsen it). Though for that you would want a analgesic (pain killer). Not sure if the modders intend for us to start huffing morphine or buying out all the codeine down at the local town chemist. Local Anaesthetics would be good if there was something causing swelling or a need to do surgery though. Otherwise they would be somewhat counter productive.

I was thinking of a similar system that runs using the buffs/debuffs mechanic. Example, getting slashed by a zombies sharp nails has a chance to give you a disease (whether its a fixed effect or varied) and Lacerated, which causes bleeding over its cool down. Hemmorhage could be used in it's place, but that would be useful to apply as a sub wound, like from a Puncture. Lacerated gives off a red particle effect. Once it has finished ticking down you get Wounded (Wounded I/II/III/IV) stacks for every new wound and resets the timer. Using a hemostatic (clotting agent) to staunch the wound from Lacerated to Wounded, saving you from damage (mid fight for example, if treatment takes time). Then using a bandage or antiseptic (Bandages for Wounded are made with a bandage soaked in creosote, leaving bandages as a crafting item for splints and other things) will then remove Wounded, and provide Bandaged (I/II/III/IV). Wounded could give you mining fatigue or weakness, forcing you to seek aid. You still suffer from fatigue when Bandaged, but the timer changes to be much shorter. If wounded ever times out you get Infected/Septic (I/II/III/IV) which prevents regeneration, higher levels cause damage and level IV causes Nausea. If your wounds become Septic you give off green particles. At any stage of your injuries using a Analgesic would remove non-physical related effects. Such as weakness or nausea, but not causing you to start regenerating or stop bleeding.

That is just from slashing attacks. Falling could cause Scraped or broken bones *Note that falling is really easy to do and it would need to be a massive fall for breaking bones. Scrapes are harmless, and have a long timer but if they get infected you could be in trouble. So a rubbing anti-septic could be useful here. Depending on how far you want to go you could simulate puncture wounds, sutures, head trauma, etc.

If you can't make custom effects and have them intra-relating then this was a waste of my time :P. The cool thing about this system and its particle effects (not all wounds give off effects), it would allow other plays to treat you visually. Using some firm knoweledge of the system they wouldn't need to know to bandage you after treating your Laceration. Down the line there could even be mystery illness which require trying different treatments, or flues from being out in the cold too long.

Edit; Obviously armour would protect you from getting lacerations and other wounds caused by attacks. Making that hellishly expensive metal armour really really useful on saving you travelling with ten doctors bags (Which can hold some of common medical treatments, but fixed limits of each). The more protection armour provides the better at preventing wounds from that damage source. If possible.

you need bruises. 

Also, since monster will be moved underground, fighting monsters should have serious setbacks in your mental health.

Also, being unhealthy should worry steve a lot, as he needs to survive.

Being with pets or other players should make steve less worried then if he was alone.

Also, steve should get anxious if he is fighting and lacks proper weapons.

Things like books, light, and sleeping should relax steve.

Also, if steve is really nervous, he should not be able to sleep

Wounds should be localized to different areas, but bleeding and infections should effect the body as a whole.

Heavy bleeding would kill in a few moments, but even a simple leather armor should prevent heavy bleeding.

Mental health seams a bit much, but physical injuries seams a good step in the right direction.

The medical part should be made similar to meals, where the specific plants/herbs have different properties on different worlds. This would require that the player research what each does, then invent medicine from the observed effects. (similar to how medicine was done in the olden days)

- the numbing lotion

Can give a buff to durability by adding temp health (back in my days as a marine we would take painkillers before battle to lessen the effect of getting shot

-Varies salves/tonics that can do different things

Speed buff tonic- provides a slight boost to movement speed

Toxin- delayed death if ingested (slow damage if splashed on player)

Strength buff salve- decreases the thirst/hunger penalties on players, increases damage slightly with weapons

Should add a syringe to apply medical effects to others without splashing a liquid all over them

Wow you guys are all over this lol :DThe numbing lotion is for burns. Meant to decrease the pain while it heals.The mental health is not a matter of something permanent to the player. I got the idea from the game "Don't Starve" where certain actions will cause you to lose mental health, and others will cause you to gain it.

All injuries were going to be a debuff style, and not localized, to save time on dev.

a further developed health system, to any varying degree, seems to be an idea worth implementing to me.  How far we take the idea is what's going to be the deciding factor on how long, if at all, it will be implemented.  I wouldn't suggest any fundamental changes to the health system per se, but I could see something coming out of this, such as; debuffs(broken legs, cuts, burns, bleeding) that would have simple enough effects on the player; slowness for broken leg, slow health drain for bleeding, chance of infection from burns and cuts, infection causing multiple debuffs like increased hunger, increased thirst, slowness, etc.

I think all wounds, except broken bones(and stuff like bruises) should have a chance of infection. cuts would have the lowest chance, but also have a chance to turn into bleeding.

There could be light bleeding, which takes time to kill you, and usually heals before you die(although it could get effected)

Heavy bleeding, on the other hand, will kill you if not taken care of

I think health should still be counted in points, but also, there should be a separate thing for the wounds you have, which decide how many damage you get when something happens to you, your performance, and whether you will get debuffs or not

Broken bones are actually very susceptible to infection. Especially a compound fracture.

Really? I would have though only the broken bone with the bone sticking out got infected as the injury stays inside the body, and away from outside bacteria and such.

Tons of bacteria in the body mate. If you break any bone, doctors will antibiotic the crap out of you. Its a risk, but not nearly as bad as having open wounds in the wilderness.

Haha, Kazahied. I was just posting that. Blood is a good carrier of bacteria. When the body goes through trauma like a broken bone it can struggle to keep clean, as it repairs. Not to mention marrow is not normally exposed to the blood, and one of the main weapons against bacteria and infections. If breaking the bone screws the marrows ability to produce white blood cells, that's elevates the likelihood of infection alone. Forget that the bones may have shredded your flesh and muscles internally.

Oh I see.

I think it would be good if biomes changes the rate of infections you can get.

So getting cut in a swamp will have a higher chance of you being infected then say getting cut in the plains or something.

Or getting cut in a place with man-made stuff. or something. I haven't really given much though...

I think it would be good if biomes changes the rate of infections you can get.

So getting cut in a swamp will have a higher chance of you being infected then say getting cut in the plains or something.

That's an interesting idea; this idea could incorporate the body temp that is implemented in b78 and also rainfall amount.

Worked on stuff a little bit. Adding more here and there

On burns, I learned in boyscouts that if the burn is really bad(like 3rd/4rth degree), stuff like burn lotion is actually counter-productive

Also, lava should be a 4th degree, shouldn't it(or not, as a 4th degree requires amputation....)

3rd degree burns almost always have nerve damage. So at least until you start healing, you're already numb and don't need numbing lotion.

well, that makes sense I guess...

Nerve damage.... can we heal that in TFC?

Nerve damage.... can we heal that in TFC?

Die and respawn.

Die and respawn.

nerve damage would just make the player not react to any pain he/she may experience to that area/appendage. Which I suppose would be a somewhat interesting mechanic but I don't see it being all the practical and wouldn't mind if that particular instance of realism isn't implemented to burns.

Also die and respawn isn't the answer to any of these ailments considering you receive improved health when you level, so you can choose to respawn if you have no levels but you will still have the slowness and half health to deal with.

-Medicine-

-Physical Health-

*The player’s health is no longer counted in normal hearts

*The body has a number of ways to be hurt, and a number of cures

-Wounds-

*Cuts

>Caused by slashing damage

>Cause bleeding

>Fixed with bandages

*Burns

>Caused by lava and fire

>Come in 1st, 2nd 3rd degree

>Fire starts at 1st, then progresses, lava is an instant 3rd

>The more severe the burn, the better lotion needed to counter-act it

*Broken Bones

>Caused by blunt damage and falling

>Breaks come in minor major and severe

>Minor causes slowness I, Major is III, and Severe is IV

*Bleeding

-Infections-

*Minor

*Moderate

*Severe

*Alcohol

-Bandages-

*Basic

*Advanced

-Salves-

*Aloe Lotion

*Numbing Lotion

-Splints-

*Wood

*Metal

-Psychology-

-Mental Stability-

*In addition to physical health, a player’s mental health can be affected

*Major mental damage can lead to deadly results

Okay, what I gather from this post seems to be a good direction for this mod. I'll gust go through what you wrote and add my two cents.

• The player's health is currently measured in hearts, that is true, but I think there is something on the order of 1000 hearts, with damage scaled up accordingly. Health may or may not increase with levels, I forget. This makes health for more continuous without making the code overly complicated.  If you want to get overly complicated, a "wellness bar" could be added, and as soon as the wellness bar is depleted it would effect overall health.  Infection, for example could chip away at the wellness bar, and once that is gone attacks do more damage, infection starts draining health, you run the risk of getting more infected., etc.  But I think that would add a little too much complication to the game.  As it is, I find myself struggling a little to manage both food and hunger.
  • I like the idea of different types of damage, perhaps as buffs.  Lacerations should have a much greater chance of happening on unarmoured players, and they should probably stack, either in intensity or duration.  Bandages could work, they could be made with 3 wool cloth in a line in the crafting table and be applied like you are eating, only probably a little slower.  I think it would be interesting to have the speed that bandages are applied increased with skill.  I see cuts as something that drains constant health over time and runs the risk of infection.
  • I like the idea of burns, and I like the idea of severity, I'm just confused about how it would be implemented.  I'm thinking that burns could be assigned to a part of the body, and when that part of the body takes damage there is added damage.  Clothing, ie leather armor, should prevent burns.  And red steel armor should prevent burns all together, so it is possible to handle lava.  Burning could be something that healed over time, like a cut.
  • Broken bones, I see where you are coming from, but this would just get annoying I think.  You would be more likely to receive fall damage when running away from enemies, and slowness would make it even harder to manage.  But just to entertain the idea, splints would be a good way to handle it.  Broken legs should have a different effect (speed debuff?) than broken arms (tool debuff?).  A splint is a good idea, and assuming that evil mobs are going to be moved underground that makes the overworld a lot safer.  The only place where I could see this effect being annoying is when you are building large builds, and tend to fall off walls fairly often.
  • One thing I might add is a poison effect.  I would hope that poison is much slower than in vanilla.  It could be obtained by getting hit by a witch, or bitten by a cave spider, or even eating the wrong thing.  Poison would cause a constant drain of health, and when health is low, nausea, slowness, weakness, and eventually death.  The effects of poison could be fixed with an antidote, and maybe there could be a resistance to poison, that is the more times you are poisoned the less the effects are to you.
  • I don't see much good happening from mental stability.  When I play I think of myself as the steve character, like an avatar.  Different physical ailments may effect the avatar, but the mind is the same.  I don't like playing as a character that goes crazy, mostly because I know I'm not crazy.  My mental facilities shouldn't be weakened in game, because they aren't out of the game.

nerve damage would just make the player not react to any pain he/she may experience to that area/appendage. Which I suppose would be a somewhat interesting mechanic but I don't see it being all the practical and wouldn't mind if that particular instance of realism isn't implemented to burns.

Also die and respawn isn't the answer to any of these ailments considering you receive improved health when you level, so you can choose to respawn if you have no levels but you will still have the slowness and half health to deal with.

Bah, you got me. Add in acupuncture for curing nerve damage. Slay dragons to feast on their hearts. But for you, I'll be serious.

The nerve damage mentioned is Sensory Nerve damage. This is actually HORRIBLE to have with this medical system. Not interesting in the slightest :P. If you get burnt and have sensory damage in your right leg. You wouldn't know you are suffering from a laceration until your HP starts dropping away and you inspect yourself to see why you're dying. If blood level is included, everything starting to go dark might be a good indication you're screwed. Motor nerve damage, say from a serious injury (explosions/piecing attacks for eg) that may leave you unable to grasp tools, walk, maybe you can no longer control your eye lids and you have a pumpkin like mask over the top of your screen!

The other main netve (can't remember the name) does things like regulate heart beat, body temperature and other subconscious things. Nothing that really relates to TFC or it's suggestions other than body temperature. This is a game after all.

In fact, damage nerves don't necessarily mean loss of sensation. The opposite, constant sensation is common. Having your arms throw wildly into a seizure in the middle of town and stabbing a shopkeeper certainly isn't a positive. Minor nerve damage can heal over a long time, but for anything meaningful (game-wise, no offence anyone) surgery would be the fix. Not sure if we want to go that far, surgery in the 'time' TFC is set was still pretty barbaric. Death and rebirth still seems like the best game mechanic to cure nerve damage to me.

Losing your bonus health from levels may be necessary if you wish to walk or stop seizing up every other block you try and break. Satisfied?

Romans had surgeons, you were more likely to die from surgery than what ailed you but they still had surgeons.

The nerve damage mentioned is Sensory Nerve damage. This is actually HORRIBLE to have with this medical system. Not interesting in the slightest :P. If you get burnt and have sensory damage in your right leg. You wouldn't know you are suffering from a laceration until your HP starts dropping away and you inspect yourself to see why you're dying. If blood level is included, everything starting to go dark might be a good indication you're screwed. Motor nerve damage, say from a serious injury (explosions/piecing attacks for eg) that may leave you unable to grasp tools, walk, maybe you can no longer control your eye lids and you have a pumpkin like mask over the top of your screen!

The other main netve (can't remember the name) does things like regulate heart beat, body temperature and other subconscious things. Nothing that really relates to TFC or it's suggestions other than body temperature. This is a game after all.

In fact, damage nerves don't necessarily mean loss of sensation. The opposite, constant sensation is common. Having your arms throw wildly into a seizure in the middle of town and stabbing a shopkeeper certainly isn't a positive. Minor nerve damage can heal over a long time, but for anything meaningful (game-wise, no offence anyone) surgery would be the fix. Not sure if we want to go that far, surgery in the 'time' TFC is set was still pretty barbaric. Death and rebirth still seems like the best game mechanic to cure nerve damage to me.

Losing your bonus health from levels may be necessary if you wish to walk or stop seizing up every other block you try and break. Satisfied?

No; death and respawn should never be the answer.  I want to live! that's why I don't see any permanent ailments being implemented.

In my opinion, these health mechanics need to be relatively simple.  Staying away from mental issues and keeping with things that are relatable to everyone.  We should be able to experience a fuller extent of the health system to give more depth to the survival mode.  But these mechanics need to do just that, add depth; not take away from the overall experience by making survival relatively impossible or unbearable.  These problems need to be relatively simple to adjust your playstyle to, treat, and be able to survive (the human body is capable of some amazing things when you have adrenaline pumping in your blood)

I've been in a body cast, it's not fun.  We don't need anything that serious, or worse, implemented in this mod, I feel.