Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Moress

TerraFirma+ : Medicine & Health

73 posts in this topic

Should stick with things like broken bones, lacerations, and sickness.

These can provide debuffs, for as long as you have the injury/disease.

To take care of these you can have different methods of healing

Splints  for broken bones- would not immediately remove slow debuff but would apply a secondary debuff (healing) when this is removed the broken bones are healed and all the related debuffs would be removed.

Bandages for lacerations- lacerations would negate natural healing speed, and higher tier lacerations would cause a slow bleeding effect. To cure you need to apply bandages, which would remove the effect of bleeding, but would also apply a healing debuff, that when it expires removes the laceration completely

There should be various kinds of sickness, each requiring different medicines to cure. Again medicine would not immediately cure, but would prevent the symptoms from killing the victim and completely removing them once the healing debuff ticks off.

The healing debuff would need various forms in order to only remove one thing and not completely heal a person. And the healing effect should last three minuets, this would give a believable healing time, without hindering the ability to play a game.

Now that I read all of this, I think that there would be a need for a more serious death penalty? Because people would rather die than spend time curing a disease.

Make it so when you die, you spawn somewhere really far away from where you spawned before, so dieing makes them start over,

Or, make the disease/wound/whatever carry over even after death. So if I had an infection, dieing would not cure me, as the infection will persist after death

Or, make death lower your mental health a lot.

I know lots of people don't like the idea of mental health, but I think it would be a nice addition, and if you don't like the idea of steve being insane because

I don't see much good happening from mental stability.  When I play I think of myself as the steve character, like an avatar.  Different physical ailments may effect the avatar, but the mind is the same.  I don't like playing as a character that goes crazy, mostly because I know I'm not crazy.  My mental facilities shouldn't be weakened in game, because they aren't out of the game.

Then don't let steve get insane, simple as that. If you don't like you're character mentally ill, don't let them get mentally ill, because it's a preventable thing, and not a inevitable outcome

@413Crossram, Kazahied: Simple is always best. Which is why I suggested the Health system through buff effects. Definitely agree on keeping away from serious injuries. As far as gameplay goes, being in a cast may as well be death. Not because of player restrictions, but if something can put you in a cast, it could kill you too. If that thing is a monster, it is more likely the player would die, rather than crawl to safety, and go through months of medical attention.

@Kazahied; Sickness/Diseases could be pretty interesting as it's own branch of medicine. If the Devs decide medicine is pretty important in the vein of TFC. Sickness & Disease could require a semi-deep system of diagnosis and cure creation. One of the things I loved about Space Station 13 (if it's never really used) was the the virology system. Cobbling together some effects. Depending on the effects you can use some period appropriate remedies, targeted to the effect. Effects from the disease are arranged in a hierarchy. Using a treatment for the topmost effect fights the disease best. Using a remedy made of multiple things (only those targeting the disease) has a compounding effect. Seems pretty simple, but there may be a need to use a lot of the chat for telling you that your character has a sore throat, etc etc.

@Moress, Experience should give you additional hardiness. A resistance to getting wounds and whatnot. Making staying alive MORE VALUABLE, opposed to penalising death further. Technically that does make death a heavier penalty too.

@AllenWL, come on, making us spawn far away is just a pain. Spawning at home is only statistically beneficial if you DIED at home. Beds as a spawn point is the best thing going for them (and the only thing the straw bed will do). Not sure about making injuries carry beyond death, could be worth a playtest. Starting over fresh is probably best. Given that you died, it is likely that you accumulated some new wounds. If you died early game and have no medicinal knowledge, all these wounds would pile up and up and up until the game is unplayable or someone bails you out.

Mental instability could come in as hallucinations. Be it sounds, or illusionary creatures. Mental Instability would not necessarily be a (visible) meter, or have a value attached to it. Please not like a PS2 era horror games. Maybe too much time in darkness or confined spaces. "Mining Madness"? Makes civilization important from an extra angle. Not measurable by statistics or progress. More atmosphere in TFC! Make those shivering early nights more spooky. Could also lend a hand to our take on spawning systems.

Medicines could need to be discovered like meals. There would be x number of reactions across y number of ingredients but the specific effects of each ingredient would be randomized on each world. This would make medicine more of a skill set, than an annoying feature.

To make the injuries less overwhelming they should "heal" naturally, if a player doesn't get the injury worsened, (if suffering from burns, you stay out of fire and don't burn yourself) then the wounds would eventually dissipate. Making medicine not essential, but helpful. The idea of building up resistances to injuries and sickness with level is a really good idea (seeing as you get more health). But certain things should be instant injuries, touching lava but living should be an instant burn, falling and taking damage > than 50% hp should be instant broken bones. Things of that nature. 

As for medicinal ingredients it should follow along the brewing methods, where you have to brew the medicines. Making different ingredients spawn in different climates would also encourage exploration , with harder to find ingredients being more potent and valuable. 

As for brewing the ingredients should need to be balanced like the alloys. ingredients should have negative effects if improperly mixed, or if in too much concentration. Also certain ingredients should cause sickness but will cure more dangerous ailments. So you trade that bleeding wound for a temporary nausea. 

Medicines could need to be discovered like meals. There would be x number of reactions across y number of ingredients but the specific effects of each ingredient would be randomized on each world. This would make medicine more of a skill set, than an annoying feature.

To make the injuries less overwhelming they should "heal" naturally, if a player doesn't get the injury worsened, (if suffering from burns, you stay out of fire and don't burn yourself) then the wounds would eventually dissipate. Making medicine not essential, but helpful. The idea of building up resistances to injuries and sickness with level is a really good idea (seeing as you get more health). But certain things should be instant injuries, touching lava but living should be an instant burn, falling and taking damage > than 50% hp should be instant broken bones. Things of that nature. 

As for medicinal ingredients it should follow along the brewing methods, where you have to brew the medicines. Making different ingredients spawn in different climates would also encourage exploration , with harder to find ingredients being more potent and valuable. 

As for brewing the ingredients should need to be balanced like the alloys. ingredients should have negative effects if improperly mixed, or if in too much concentration. Also certain ingredients should cause sickness but will cure more dangerous ailments. So you trade that bleeding wound for a temporary nausea. 

I like this idea; randomly generated recipes like meals.  Natural healing with medicine certainly helping.  Different climates with ingredients.  Medicinal side-effects. 

I also agree that there should be breaking points for certain injuries but I'd like to see a bit of randomness thrown in there for a luck effect:  like instead of 50% hp loss from drop = broken leg it could be 35% to 65 % hp fall damage gives a chance for broken leg with increasing likelihood in the higher percentages.

I also think since there will be easier ways to be injured that health should get a buff with this addition.  I was thinking something like 30%.  so you start out with 130 health instead of 100.

You can already modify health in the config

You can already modify health in the config

That's not the point though.  The reason I bring it up is just balancing reasons if this would be implemented.  It would need to be considered at least. 

Mental health I don't think is really much needed, but in physical health one could add infectious diseases too, caused by exposing to cold enviroments (Colds lol), drinking unboiled water (amoebiasis) eating raw meat (worms)...

Looks like lots of people don't like mental health.

I like the idea, because it means you don't just look out for stuff that can hurt you.

Say, it's night, making a two tall pillar and letting the zombies crowd around can help you, sure, but will being alone in the night surrounded by undead really be good for your mental health?

You don't just say, 'hey, do I have my armor, a sword, and some food? great! lets go kill some monsters all night long!' You have to consider if you want to do it. Just because running into a cave full of monsters and lighting it up, and running like hell is a great method for clearing out caves, doesn't mean you want to run into a dark cave full of monsters and spam torches while they try to kill you.

I think mental health will make the game more immersing, because what you don't like to do, Steve doesn't like to do.

If you guys can honestly say that being besieged by undead, getting seriously wounded in the middle of nowhere alone, being in the dark listing to undead groans(undead who can kill you), Digging in a underground mine for 3 days straight, dieing, getting mauled by monsters, and so on will not have any effect on your mind and that you can go through all of this and still come out 100% sane and the same as you where when you entered, maybe mental health is not a good idea.

But doing these stuff will drive me nuts, and I most defiantly do not want to do it. So steve getting uncomfortable, or even insane after doing this too much, I think it makes sense.

I don't make steve do what I wouldn't want to do, and he stays sane. I make steve do crazy stuff like jump off cliffs, die, fight monsters all night, stay in a room with a undead, etc, etc, he slowly goes nuts, because if I had to do all that, I would go nuts too

Of course i want to go out and slaughter my enemies, that is sort of the point of being prepared to do so. This is minecraft not amnesia: dark decent.

To clear things up, the mental health is meant to work like "Don't Starve" where it being lowered has both Physical debuffs on the player as well as parts that are meant to mess with the player him/herself.Some possible effects would bePhysical: Nausea, slowness blindnessMental: Hearing mobs that aren't there, Seeing Mobs, and what i consider the creepiest is seeing the outline of a name-tag, without a name in it (in the distance)Its mostly supposed to mess with the player, not give the effects that the avatar is the afflicted (Make sense?)

Of course i want to go out and slaughter my enemies, that is sort of the point of being prepared to do so. This is minecraft not amnesia: dark decent.

I'm just saying that if I had to go out slaughter monsters all night long, I'd need a break every now and then to stop going nuts.

So why should steve be able to fight monsters in the dark, die multiple times, and still be 100% mentally stable?

To clear things up, the mental health is meant to work like "Don't Starve" where it being lowered has both Physical debuffs on the player as well as parts that are meant to mess with the player him/herself.Some possible effects would bePhysical: Nausea, slowness blindnessMental: Hearing mobs that aren't there, Seeing Mobs, and what i consider the creepiest is seeing the outline of a name-tag, without a name in it (in the distance)Its mostly supposed to mess with the player, not give the effects that the avatar is the afflicted (Make sense?)

Bioxx had spoke of adding mental health once before, but when I suggested the idea of seeing monsters that are not there, he specifically said something along the lines of "No, this isn't Don't Starve." I don't know what all he meant when he said he didn't want TFC to be like Don't Starve, but it is something to keep in mind.

I haven't played Don't Stave, but it is pretty hard to work in metal health. Experiencing illusions is a gamey version of hearing a bump in the night. This is Minecraft after all, what is there to fear? Zombie? Throw down some blocks, wait till morning. Enderman? Throw down some blocks! Spider? Made  two-high pillars and kill them without fear. Illusions work to an extent. They force the player to make the incorrect decision due to misinformation. Attacking the 'illusion' enemies makes no progress in killing the true threats. Firing a javelin at an illusion is a big hit. If they try to build something to counter an illusion then the 'effect' of paranoia is working. Once the player makes too many mistakes the self doubt starts. That's when illusions have worked. Though I completely understand if they don't want illusions from a 'too magic-y' point of view. 

Swinging this thread open a little bit. If we did have new mobs. An example (I like to use) wild dogs. They could have 'special attacks' (if you will pardon the game lingo), howling at night or on sight of the player. Which causes 'fear' to elevate. Darkening the screen or something. This lets the player know they are going to be attacked, but do not know where from. Setting the grounds for fear. Heavy breathing/heart beats and darkening effects are mostly psychological attacks on the player :P. Causing them to make mistakes, opposed to weakening their character. Which does happen in some games, but it's still to the effect of attacking the player. I'm not sure it really works in Minecraft, but I can guarantee you most people will not want to play with pumpkin on. Given, in this system, you would be punished in injuries anyway. Do we really need Mental Health? The threat of bleeding to death could be enough to induce mild anxiety in some players. Additionally I'm sure there are a lot of people who do not like horror elements and would be turned off by a Mental Health system.

Perhaps think along the lines of dogs, snakes, bears and sharks(? whatever mob you dream of) each having their own ways of causing fear. As you get more experienced with the game you recognise the symptoms and can ignore them. Use the to know what you are against. As I know a lot of players wont be effected by hostile mobs at all, forcing them to be the girl from Clock Tower wouldn't be fun to them. Those crazy bastards would rather take the HP loss and carve the monster to pieces with their axe. :)

I still sort of like the idea. It just needs to be done very carefully.

I don't think illusions should be the only thing, personally. It makes it feel like you can be sane, or insane with no in-between.

And does a mental health have to have a horror element?

Why not give steve insomnia? Instead of not being able to sleep when monsters are near, make steve not be able to sleep if really nervous.

Make steve 'sweat', making water particles spawn around him(this is actually more off-putting then you'd think. I tried a mod that had body temp, and it would make you sweat 24/7 unless you where underground/in a cold biome. It was annoying enough to make me not use that mod), and making him use up more water than normal.

Why not have steve shiver, shaking the screen slightly(small enough for people who are not looking closely miss, but enough to say, mess with your aim when you're using a bow/javalin, or make you mess up when knapping)

You could give steve a greater fail chance when using firestarters/flint and steel

There could be a chance to 'mess up' doing stuff, like a right click acts like a left click, or shift-right click.

Steve can 'fumble' things, dropping them while trying to use them if too nervous.

Or, steve can not eat well, making him get less hunger from food items

Things like insomnia, nervousness, and such can be tied with mental health as well.

We don't have to go straight from 'happy' to 'hallucinating nutter'

Metal health should go through various stages, and have seeing and hearing random things for the very last, when your mental health hits the bottom

so a new strain of the h1n1 virus is going around my house and its landed me and my siblings with a bad case of pneumonia (no im not gonna die calm down people they got me on some strong antibiotics and ill be fine in about a week) the good I got out of this was it gave me an idea for tfc viruses :D read on!:

water quality: determines whether or not a chance of contracting a virus/ bug from the water will happen drinking dirty water such as from a lake or the ocean has a chance of getting you sick but only with bugs that you can get over to keep the game playable. boiling water into a clay jug in a firepit is the safest way to clean the water and get rid of any unwanted passengers

food quality: this ties back to my other post "food spoilage" if you eat spoiled food you have a chance of contracting something from it and it could be deadly too the solution: don't eat rotten food...

mobs: mobs can give you things too though they will only give you bugs that can be eliminated with simple remedies

types of viruses:

simple bugs( you will get over it eventually):

the common cold: can be contracted when in cold temperatures character will cough and have a slight slowness debuff over the duration of it, no rememdies but your character will eventually get over it,

barking cough: not sure about the technical name but a barking cough which drastically affects the characters stamina but eventually goes away can be managed by drinking tea (explained later), contracted from drinking dirty water, spoiled food, and cold temps

just a runny nose: pretty self explanatory, can be managed the same way as a barking cough, contracted solely from cold temps like c.c.

harmful if not treated:

pneumonia: what I have right now can kill the player by suppressing the ability to breathe can be treated with mint tea, low activity and antibiotics (gone over later in the post)

influenza: killed over half the population in a large pandemic back during ww1 you can treat it by taking menthol (obtained by processing mint plants In a quern), drinking lots of tea, and lowering the amount of activity your player is doing as well as making sure he stays warm you would have a very very very low chance of contracting this don't worry.

can be managed but not cured (your chance of contracting one of these is extremely low like 1/500000 chance against):

malaria: give the player a permenant "wither" debuff which you can get rid of by taking antibiotics every day or so if you miss a day you will have the wither debuff until you take antibiotics again contracted from dirty water, and spoiled food, and zombie encounters

parasite infection: random virus that takes away 1 heart every 2 minutes, can be managed by taking antibiotics, menthol and drinking tea

incurable viruses that insure death to your player(1/ 1 million chance of contracting)

black death: everyone knows what this is can be slowed by antibiotics but will eventually kill your player, contracted from mobs, spoiled food and some animals

h1n1 deadly variant: everyone also knows this one, can be slowed but will eventually kill you contracted the same way as black death

zombie infection: it wouldn't be me not to opt for something that will eventually zombify your character resulting in you having to respawn and fight your former self for you stuff, this is the only virus with no cure plus nothing that slows its advance, contracted from zombies of course even lower chance of contracting than other incurable viruses

remedies(gets rid of most things):

tea( boil some water than add some fruits, veggies, mint plant, or menthol to it and boom you have the most effective cold remedy around)

antibiotics(weak antibiotics made by grinding up 2 fruits or veggies in a quern add 2 more fruits/veggies to make strong antibiotics)

menthol or straight mint: menthol made by grinding mint leaf in a quern, mint leaf obtained by finding mint plants around the world which yield 0-4 mint leafs when broken, can be turned into seeds and grown.

pandemics: have a 1/400000 chance of happening during a pandemic your chance of contracting incurable but manageable or incurable/insures death diseases drastically increases so watch out!

infections: infections which can kill the player if not bandaged and given antibiotics( bandages made from wool) can be contracted via wounds from combat.

that's all hope this helps :D

Wasn't this already suggested by Moress? 

Wasn't this already suggested by Moress? 

Yes it was, topics merged.

the common cold: can be contracted when in cold temperatures character will cough and have a slight slowness debuff over the duration of it, no rememdies but your character will eventually get over it,

antibiotics(weak antibiotics made by grinding up 2 fruits or veggies in a quern add 2 more fruits/veggies to make strong antibiotics)

1. Multiple studies have proven that being cold won't give you a cold. Getting sick from going outside without a coat on, or while wet is an old wive's tale, and has been proven by multiple studies that it is just a myth and not true. 

Here's just one of many links quoting such studies: http://www.sharecare.com/health/cold-and-flu/will-cold-weather-make-me-sick

2. How does grinding up fruit make antibiotics? The high vitamin C content may boost your immune system to help it fight off pathogens, but it in itself has very little antimicrobial properties. Because of the time period in which TFC is set, the only feasible antibiotics would be Honey (Contains antimicrobial enzymes), Onions/Garlic/Cabbage (Antimicrobial sulfur compounds) and fermented food (Reintroduces "friendly" bacteria into the system)

3. Many of the ailments that you listed are viruses, which will have no reaction to antibiotics since they only treat bacterial infections.

1. Multiple studies have proven that being cold won't give you a cold. Getting sick from going outside without a coat on, or while wet is an old wive's tale, and has been proven by multiple studies that it is just a myth and not true. 

Here's just one of many links quoting such studies: http://www.sharecare.com/health/cold-and-flu/will-cold-weather-make-me-sick

2. How does grinding up fruit make antibiotics? The high vitamin C content may boost your immune system to help it fight off pathogens, but it in itself has very little antimicrobial properties. Because of the time period in which TFC is set, the only feasible antibiotics would be Honey (Contains antimicrobial enzymes), Onions/Garlic/Cabbage (Antimicrobial sulfur compounds) and fermented food (Reintroduces "friendly" bacteria into the system)

3. Many of the ailments that you listed are viruses, which will have no reaction to antibiotics since they only treat bacterial infections.

I was thinking simple I didn't want to get to complex with it as that's not what the mod is about

It's the game that is all about being simple. The mod aims to keep things 'believable'. Though your mileage may vary on certain topics. Kitty's points are relevant.

There are a lot of simple things that can simulate sickness and disease. But the examples you gave were very specific and 'too varied' (ie not following a standard).

2. How does grinding up fruit make antibiotics? The high vitamin C content may boost your immune system to help it fight off pathogens, but it in itself has very little antimicrobial properties. Because of the time period in which TFC is set, the only feasible antibiotics would be Honey (Contains antimicrobial enzymes), Onions/Garlic/Cabbage (Antimicrobial sulfur compounds) and fermented food (Reintroduces "friendly" bacteria into the system).

Um.. mushrooms? I think I read somewhere that some types of fungi kill bacteria or something

I like the idea of this but a part of me thinks it could add more nuisances to the game than it could add player investment.  To that end, what do you think of the idea of, instead of numerous medical conditions that require specialty things to cure... how about lessening the normal healing over time from Vanilla and add medical items which restore health.  There are already plenty of items in the game which could be used. Poppy could be included as a farmable resource which could be processed into Morphine/Opium.  Poppies are already present in the vanilla game. 

Aspirin is derived from salicylic acid... which is commonly found in Willow Bark... Willow is already in TFC.

Sambucus has been used for years to treat all manner of ailments and it is nothing more than Elderberries, which I believe will be added in the next patch.

Each would require only a basic addition to the game.  

Morphine/Opium - Convert Poppy to Poppy Seed (would allow for replanting and creating opium).  Put seeds into barrel of water.  Wait x amount of time.  Remove opium goo from bottom of barrel, roast for a short time to dry it out... and suddenly morphine.

Aspirin - Use a chisel on a willow tree to get willow bark.  Put willow bark into a barrel of water and leave to sit for X time.  Bottle to have Aspirin tea. 

Sambucus - Add suger, water, elderberry and and a glass bottle to make Sambucus syrup.