Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DA_HOBO2_URLEFT

Alternative beds

18 posts in this topic

I'm not an expert on the furnishings of a medieval, lower-class home, but I'm fairly certain they didn't ALL have bright red wool sheets. I was thinking of some less effective, but cheaper bed choices. For all of these, assume they place down just like a normal bed, accelerate time to morning, and deplete hunger/thirst just the same as now.Straw patch: 

- Crafted like fences, but with straw. 

- Does not heal player

Straw patch w/ fur: 

- Crafted like fences, but with straw, and raw hide in top middle slot.

- Only slightly heals player,

Stone bed:

- Crafted with 3 raw stone in bottom row, and 3 smooth stone in middle row.

- Less effectively heals player

Stone bed w/ fur:

- Crafted with 3 raw stone in bottom row, 3 smooth stone in middle row, and raw hide in top middle slot.

- Moderately heals player

I'm sure I could think of others if I really wanted to get creative, but these are the ones that popped into my head. These options would provide players with the ability to sleep without needing to find sheep, as they are sometimes very elusive. 

This has been suggested and discussed many times. And b78 is going to have leather/straw beds.

Oh, I didn't see anything mentioning beds when I looked through past suggestions. Must've missed it. My bad.

Wait, stone beds? Am I missing something or is this your country#s tradition?

Well, you DO start out as a caveman. No offence if you think God placed us all here, sheep in hand. Then had his son craft us up a luxurious 4 posted bed draped with silk to avoid the night.

Then again... Homeless people avoid sleeping on concrete. I imagine it would sap the heat right out of their bodies... Better end this tangent quick.

Given this is a luxury gameplay mechanic. Beds shouldn't be made too easy. Not sure how straw beds are being implemented, hopefully it works out.

With TFC being aimed at multiplayer, how often does the entire server get to sleep? That would be the main factor in making beds accessible, and guide the design for player progression.

Given this is a luxury gameplay mechanic. Beds shouldn't be made too easy. Not sure how straw beds are being implemented, hopefully it works out.

With TFC being aimed at multiplayer, how often does the entire server get to sleep? That would be the main factor in making beds accessible, and guide the design for player progression.

In my experience, beds are usually used on Multi-player servers for cosmetic purposes. On Multi-player servers, I would think these beds would only provide players with more options when adding a bed for decoration. 

My main point was really more directed at single-player maps. Sure, sleep is a luxury, but so is a home, and you generally need a home to put a bed in. My main point was that people have never required wool to sleep, so there should be other options in allowing the player to do so. I didn't know more beds were already on their way though. 

There are stone beds, and I don't expect them to be all too uncomfortable.

In my culture, we had stone floors with heating, and slept on them. Not uncomfortable at all stone, given you have something draped on it(and given that you aren't outside in winter)

in caveman terms, stone beds were not *realy* stone beds, but rather, a stone edged area that you placed a nice soft pile of braken or hay into, then popped your skins and furs ontop of to bed down on.

if you scroll down to the Skara brae image on this site http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/Property/907138 you can see the stone sides and head of the bed onthe left of the image (and the stone edged fire pit in the middle :) like we use in game)

so you could make a stone bed out of a straw bed with rocks around is (assuming you could pick up a straw bed itself as a block item once you have placed it)

though it would likely be just for looks.... we can also find some wood that *looks* like rock, or use a chisel and make decor style but....its sometimes nicer to just have an item that you can pick up (with perhaps, difficulty)

while i can understand that in multiplayer, there is no way to use a bed to skip the night (unless you can get everyone to agree to sleep at the same time lol) it kind of feels like we (those who play 1 player) are being punished for NOT using multiplayer sometimes in TFC. so i would like the beds, and while i understand why the straw bale bed is only for moving your spawn point (and i DO actualy like that mechanic) it would be nice if some later beds could be designed with an on/off config that lets you change it to work like a normal bed... becasue i realy like the imersion of TFC and the modern minecraft vanila chests and beds kinda make my imersion meter bottom out. (and when i say config, i mean so that we anti-social cave people can make the harder to make beds skip the night, while the multiplayer beds dont...a win-win if you will, since everyone can have what they want)

(yes, i could use a texture pack, but i use a pre-packaged TFC that comes with Optifine installed with invent tweeks and rei's minimap, and when i try to use any texture pack, the optifine pitches a fit, so i am left with vanilla textures till we are 1.7 and resource pack ready so i can just add a bed and chest texture i like)

perhaps in multiplayer (and defalt single player) the better the bed, the slower your hunger and thirst would go down? if, at a later date, a fatigue or stamina meter was added, the better beds could restore some of your stamina, or lower your fatigue (lack of food allready gives you debufs, so maube lack of rest would too)

giving you a reason to progress through the bed types. would also mean some players could invest in the tools needed to make the beds, and sell them on multiplayer.

(yes, i could use a texture pack, but i use a pre-packaged TFC that comes with Optifine installed with invent tweeks and rei's minimap, and when i try to use any texture pack, the optifine pitches a fit, so i am left with vanilla textures till we are 1.7 and resource pack ready so i can just add a bed and chest texture i like)

Please note that we do not support the use of the Tekkit/Technic launcher on these forums, and any further support that you require will be ignored until you stop using it.

@HM, Well you're not being punished. Multiplayer is just put before you... There is always the conspiracy Dunk is trying to convert all SSPs to taking up servers, because he has connections with the Minecraft server industry.

Honestly though it isn't too hard to fill your night time in TFC. Compared to vanilla at least.

Celtic design and use of stone is so great. I'm gonna go chisel up some swirls real soon. The structures the built and burried under mounds. With sun calendars and stuff. Pretty cool, if archaic even for the Iron Age.

@kittychanley ah, i didnt know that was the case. so next question. does my using such things also invalidate my sugestions, and mean anything i sugest will *also* be ignored untill i stop using unfavoured launcher systems?

also, want to clarify. i would never have found out about TFC if not for finding it in the technic launcher more mods list, so would have missed out on it entirely. (the only other conversion i have seen has been BTW and that started to take a path i was not happy with, so was looking for something more my style.)

Nah, you are still welcome to make suggestions here, just don't bring up that launcher again since there is a lot of bad blood in regards to it among our devs and our members alike.

I still highly suggest learning how to mod Minecraft using the vanilla launcher, especially since the ease of use has greatly improved with the 1.6+ launcher. It's essentially a matter of running a single file for forge install, and then everything else (including Optifine) just goes in the mods folder. There is a guide on the wiki as well as a tutorial video for windows users.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Installation

thanks for the heads up. had no idea there was problems that way.

i havent used vanilla in so long, that i completely missed using the new mojang launcher.

i used to manualy mod minecraft from the old days (around the OLD 1.2.5 days just after survival was added) but the fact my mind seems alergic to coding (again, tried to do it in the old neverwinter nights days...attempting to use ATS and make custom ore/gem spawn rocks nearly melted my mind XD ) meant that i was constantly falling foul of the dreaded ID conflicts and crashes because i just could not follow all the mods i liked.

i also gave up using texture packs years ages, not because of optifine (which i understand was my bed texture problem. i know its not TFC's issue lol, so i wasnt asking for support in that, just have this thing about explaining 'why' i was supporting more beds) but because once you start with modding, you cant allways find what you need (texture patch wise) to make your own custom pack. and again, its likely it is my own fault. so i settled on sticking with vanilla textures. once the 1.8 arrives, im sure i can find someone that has better bed textures on their own i can slip into the resource folder to over-ride 'just' the vanilla chest and bed textures.

and thanks for the tutorial link, hopefully its simple enough that i can wrap my head around it. so strange, i build and fix PC's for a living, but the code part just goes right by me...XD lol

once the 1.8 arrives, im sure i can find someone that has better bed textures on their own i can slip into the resource folder to over-ride 'just' the vanilla chest and bed textures.

Why do you need to wait until 1.8? All of the textures have been individual files since 1.5

hm, i thought that the 'resource pack' thing was for soon to be released 1.8  lol.

if so, i wonder what i have to do to get the bed and chest textures to work (if anyone has a tutorial they can point me at, would be apreciated)

i should probably pay more attention to updates, but some days (like now lol) im stuck replyng and internetting on my wiiu and not as many sites fully work with her browser. thanks for the heads up

Here's the resource pack page on the Minecraft Wiki: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Resource_pack

You could either create a whole new resource pack and just change the bed texture, or that page will also guide you to where the vanilla textures are stored and you can just replace the file there to change the default textures instead of switching packs.

Has anybody thought about :

Rope beds with straw filled mattresses?  

Or 

Rope hammocks?