Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dunkleosteus

Banished Game + Mod

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you guys be interested in a Banished livestream?

• Sure
    • meh
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

I've really gotten interested in the game Banished by shiningrock studios recently. If you haven't checked it out, you should look up some videos on youtube, although preferably someone who knows what they're doing. If you don't, it can be quite punishing.

Anyway, I've decided to make a mod for banished. It's still in the planning stages, but you can read about it here: http://www.banishedmods.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=103

The website seems to track user referrals, and it can't hurt if anyone ends up signing up. (don't sign up just because of this link though)

http://www.banishedmods.com/forums/member.php?action=register&referrer=314

Does that mean that Terrafirma is going to take a backseat to this?

Does that mean that Terrafirma is going to take a backseat to this?

Nope :)

Working on a single project for too long wears you out though, you hit code blocks and just need to unwind. Often, working on another project can help refresh you and make it easier to work on the original project.

Besides, I couldn't do that to you guys.

Oh I know that game (it looks cool)

Dunk, would you recommend it to someone that loves TFC?  I've been playing with the idea of getting Bansihed because it looks very interesting and I love the realistic survival that TFC brings to Minecraft.  While unforgiving, I've read it doesn't offer much once you figure out how to survive.

Bioxx and I are both enjoying banished quite a bit. if you have the money to spend, I'd recommend it.

I have Banished too. Its really fun, but not forgiving at all.Also, Dunk could you make a Plains landscape? With mountians in the corners of the map? Because I feel like there's a stark lack of variation in the land.

yeah, the map types are pretty limited

I liked Banished but it's too easy. The inability to micromanage somethings is a real source of furstration for me. Every winter when my farmers become laborers they go and move all the freshly mined coal into the nearby stockpile... Then straight into their house, and force me to produce iron tools. Nevermind I have 500 firewood, spread between 3 markets that cover 85% of housing. They may as well automatically make Iron tools if there is no coal avalible. You end up micromanaging the blacksmith as tool/coal levels fluctuate. Same with producing Ale, or certain other goods useful for trading. Those villagers sure love to hoard, even if their neighbour is freezing and starving. :P

Once you get a handle on surviving winter you can bounce back from anything. My Mountain Men save got hit 3 times by tornadoes... THREE TIMES. Had an infection crop up every 4-5 years (the year before a 13x9 Peach harvest too). A few good trades keeps the people fed for 2 years, if that trader doesn't show up though... General Happiness never dipped dispite all the dead and starving. It's ontrack to get whatever that first population achivement is, but I'm not verry motivated to play Banished right now.

I enjoy it... But Moress said, a Plains map would be cool. A major part of the game is building attractive cities, and building cities would be a lot more fun with lots of space. Being able to build on hills would make the cityscapes feel a lot grander.

One thing I was wondering about... Does the game require you to use crop rotations? I thought I saw a boost in production after I started one, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes farmers like to "[collect] resources" instead of harvest their years work...

I liked Banished but it's too easy. The inability to micromanage somethings is a real source of furstration for me. Every winter when my farmers become laborers they go and move all the freshly mined coal into the nearby stockpile... Then straight into their house, and force me to produce iron tools. Nevermind I have 500 firewood, spread between 3 markets that cover 85% of housing. They may as well automatically make Iron tools if there is no coal avalible. You end up micromanaging the blacksmith as tool/coal levels fluctuate. Same with producing Ale, or certain other goods useful for trading. Those villagers sure love to hoard, even if their neighbour is freezing and starving. :P

Once you get a handle on surviving winter you can bounce back from anything. My Mountain Men save got hit 3 times by tornadoes... THREE TIMES. Had an infection crop up every 4-5 years (the year before a 13x9 Peach harvest too). A few good trades keeps the people fed for 2 years, if that trader doesn't show up though... General Happiness never dipped dispite all the dead and starving. It's ontrack to get whatever that first population achivement is, but I'm not verry motivated to play Banished right now.

I enjoy it... But Moress said, a Plains map would be cool. A major part of the game is building attractive cities, and building cities would be a lot more fun with lots of space. Being able to build on hills would make the cityscapes feel a lot grander.

One thing I was wondering about... Does the game require you to use crop rotations? I thought I saw a boost in production after I started one, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes farmers like to "[collect] resources" instead of harvest their years work...

From what I can tell, having the same crop in one field for too long can lead to blights or infestations. Switching to a different crop cures this though.

@Dunk. Which is weird though. I only had wheat for almost 8 years. Most of my infections appeared in Pastures. There were more infections in orchids than fields, but not notably so. Throwing corn into my mix seemed to increase the gains. Other maps it's harder to tell, being medium/large, I tend to buy multiple types of crop sooner. I still rotate, like you said, to decrease the chance of infection, even if it might not, still worth the effort. There isn't much else to do when it's not winter. :P

@Dunk. Which is weird though. I only had wheat for almost 8 years. Most of my infections appeared in Pastures. There were more infections in orchids than fields, but not notably so. Throwing corn into my mix seemed to increase the gains. Other maps it's harder to tell, being medium/large, I tend to buy multiple types of crop sooner. I still rotate, like you said, to decrease the chance of infection, even if it might not, still worth the effort. There isn't much else to do when it's not winter. :P

well, when I get a chance to look at the code, I'll tell you how it works :P

Looked it up, reminds me somewhat of rebuild.

I'd love to buy it, but school and the lack of money, plus time...

I'll mull over it for a month or two or more, and if it still sounds attractive, I'll buy it

Looks B) , had to buy it also.

In what language is the moding going to be done? Java?

Banished is a nice game, but I keep having trouble dealing with villager foot-speed.  When you can't assign workers jobs based on proximity to their houses, it gets really hard to get anything done in the early game.  

Gnomoria would be a nice game too if I could play it, but I can't get used to the isometric graphics.  I've been playing DF for too long.  

Banished is a nice game, but I keep having trouble dealing with villager foot-speed.  When you can't assign workers jobs based on proximity to their houses, it gets really hard to get anything done in the early game.

If you unassign all villagers and then assign them again, they take the closest jobs. Normally the game does that itself, but you can do it yourself once in a while.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0