Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AGFbydesign

Breeding Inaccuracies Messing With my OCD

22 posts in this topic

Breeding

Breeding any of the mobs takes four minecraft months, which, while accurate for humans, is incorrect for cows, pigs, sheep, & whatever else will be implemented. For example, a cow actually takes around 285 days to give birth, vs the 260 it takes for a human. A pig will produce a litter of about 8-12 piglets in only 114 days. A sheep takes around 147 days to give birth. I also think that for cows and sheep there should be a very small chance of getting twins.

The devs chose to do the 9months for breeding is simplicity and balance. If all the animal breed the same speed it cuts down on code significantly.

First of all, the number is 4 months, not 9. And secondly, the 4 month breeding period is just a placeholder. Mobs are still very much in beta, and Dunk has a lot of plans for them in the future.

Since this value is stored as an individual variable on each type of animal, making it different for each animal doesn't add any code at all. It's just a matter of changing the number 4 to something different in each animal's class.

The possibility of twins would also be very simple to code, but would need to be an extremely rare case for balancing reasons.

I did some research when coding the animals. My findings told me that cows have 1 baby for all intents and purposes. Sheep can have 1-3. Pigs have 8-12.

and all things aside, you can only go so far with making things realistic, before the game just begins to be annoying and a bother to play, and then ceases to be a game

By your numbers.

Pigs/Sheep take ~1/3 a year to birth.

Cows take about ~4/5s a year to birth.

Using days is just silly, because TFC years are much shorter.

4 months should still be 1/3 of a TFC year. I'm fairly sure but not 100%.

1/3 year seems good enough to me. Even as a place holder. Given that it takes much longer for baby animals to mature compared to vanilla.

If this hammers on your OCD I'd hate to see what happens when you get deeper into TFC or play regular Minecraft.

The thing that still irritates me most about animal husbandry is the fact that while all grains work for breeding, the actual luring of wild animals in the first place works only with wheat. It's like, why bother allowing other grains if you can't breed without wheat anyway? And if you do have wheat, again why bother allowing other grains since well, you do have wheat? I've been lobbying for luring to be extended to all grains since build 74... :( Please Dunk, bestow your grace upon the barley, the oat and the rye!

The thing that still irritates me most about animal husbandry is the fact that while all grains work for breeding, the actual luring of wild animals in the first place works only with wheat. It's like, why bother allowing other grains if you can't breed without wheat anyway? And if you do have wheat, again why bother allowing other grains since well, you do have wheat? I've been lobbying for luring to be extended to all grains since build 74... :( Please Dunk, bestow your grace upon the barley, the oat and the rye!

The reason that it is only wheat and not the other grains as well is Mojang's fault. It is hardcoded that only a single item can be flagged as a lure.

...It is? Okay, that's really disappointing.

Guess I'll move my lobbying over to Mojang then! :P

The reason that it is only wheat and not the other grains as well is Mojang's fault. It is hardcoded that only a single item can be flagged as a lure.

not entirely true, in vanilla, Pigs will now follow you for carrots, and in Better Than Wolves, tall grass will lure livestock, and any kind of seeds will lure chickens

not entirely true, in vanilla, Pigs will now follow you for carrots, and in Better Than Wolves, tall grass will lure livestock, and any kind of seeds will lure chickens

These are all still single items. I didn't say that it had to be wheat, just that there were restrictions on how many lure items there could be for each individual animal. Pigs will only follow carrots, I'm guessing that in BTW only tall grass works, and while vanilla chickens can be bred with any type of seed, they will only follow wheat seeds.

Edit: What I meant by my post is that each mob can only have a single item as its lure. These items can be different from mob to mob, but it is only one for each.

Frankly, I think luring animals with anything but leads is a bit silly.  I'd rather them all be like ocelots, running away unless you're sneaking. But instead of giving them food you throw a lead on them.  Afterward, feeding them enough times would make them not run away (some random amount, like vanilla horses).

These are all still single items. I didn't say that it had to be wheat, just that there were restrictions on how many lure items there could be for each individual animal. Pigs will only follow carrots, I'm guessing that in BTW only tall grass works, and while vanilla chickens can be bred with any type of seed, they will only follow wheat seeds.

Edit: What I meant by my post is that each mob can only have a single item as its lure. These items can be different from mob to mob, but it is only one for each.

actually, in BTW, any kind of seed will lure a chicken, and animals can be lured with either Tall grass or Wheat

although this point may be entirely moot, as Flower Child has absolutely no regard for keeping any of vanilla's code intact when he makes his changes, so they're probably horribly invasive and such

Um as far as I know, anything that is used for breeding is used for luring.

I breed my sheep with rye, and they follow me around when I'm holding rye, or oats, or any kind of processed grain, actually

AllenWL is right, at least in the current version, any grain (excluding rice) can and will lure animals. I found this out by accedent in my world when breeding animals using my surplus of oat, they follow it. Animals following other grains may have been accedental, but it is in the mod. Wheat is totally optional as of now. While writing this, i got on and tested all the grains on animals. Wheat, oat, rye, and barley all lure equaly on cows, sheep and pigs. I dont know about chickens, but however the code is, it allows for any and all of the breeding grains to lure. If you dont believe me, test it out yourself.

The lure only with wheat does effect chickens, i just found one and tested. all other breedable animals can be lured by any of the grains

Are you sure? I tried it in my 77.22 world and only wheat worked.

I can try again when I get home this evening...

Pretty sure any grain worked for me. I'll boot up and give it a shot soon too.

Edit: All the grains worked for baiting a cow. I didn't go so far as to test all the animals because the cow took a while to take notice of the grain. I should have spawned them all at once :(.

Must be whatever is set as a breeding item, I guess.

Huh, this post when from breeding, to what food lures animals.

Anyways, dogs are bred with any kind of meat, and they will follow any kind of meat(as long as they are tamed and the person who tamed them are holding the meat.)

And yes, this is in vanilla. And I'm pretty sure chickens follow all types of seeds as well, as long as they can eat it

Well, I did have a problem feeding dogs with anything but Mutton. Kitty even looked into the code for me. If I remember right it was the only item flagged for breeding the wolves in TFC.

It went from breeding to baiting because inconsistency in item usage was brought up. I suppose breeding being 'okay' as-is probably didn't help. OP isn't really driving the conversation to address the problem she brought up either.

And I'm pretty sure chickens follow all types of seeds as well, as long as they can eat it

Vanilla Chickens won't follow all types of seeds, only wheat. Both the Minecraft Wiki and a quick test in a vanilla world confirm this.

Testing results

Chickens. Yes, they only follow wheat seeds, both TFC and vanilla. stubborn things

Cows& sheep. Follows all grains(rice, wheat, rye, barley, oats)

Pigs. They follow all grains, plus carrots

Code leads in TFC, as it is easier to move animals instead of luring them